Outbound

Hey sunny, since no one is answering your questions and just saying welcome, like it means something. Can you do me a favor? After about a month of working at DC , can you post the answers to the questions you asked? So it can help someone in the future.
Thank you

Hey sunny, since no one is answering your questions and just saying welcome, like it means something. Can you do me a favor? After about a month of working at DC , can you post the answers to the questions you asked? So it can help someone in the future.
Thank you
They have another thread about it too.

Turnover rate is high, especially since HQ took over hiring. There’s probably someone that quits/gets fired almost every day.
Culture varies greatly between buildings, departments, shifts. I’m sure you’ll get the feel for how your building operates during your first few days.
Most DCs have been on mandatory ot for the last month or more, and will continue to be until January, so happy faces are few and far between. The job itself is fine, but 50-60hr weeks for months straight in a physical job is exhausting.
FYI, for anonymity I’d change your post title to not be a specific DC, it narrows you down to a pretty small group (5-20 people probably).

Hey all!

Hired on as outbound, starting soon. What's the turnover rate here? Not very many friendly faces. What's the culture like in DC?

Stay groovy,
- Sunny 🌹
Outbound is a tuff department to do. Super physical and monotonous. The one department I’ve never done and never will. What’s starting pay like at that dc? I wish we had/could have a thread comparing starting pay from dc to dc. Was thinking about transferring and that could help.

OB may be difficult work with occasionally impossible demands but it has a giant appeal, freedom.
No other department allows you such autonomy in how you operate provided you are keeping your lanes off yellow.

I'm in Outbound and start in two weeks. That Orientation was a killer. 8 hours of repetition, but showed me alot of stuff I was doing wrong on my other job. Hot as hell too!
Welcome to OB! Its the hottest area in the building. Also gets to be the coldest if you live in an area with a proper winter. Your first week will be very easy and pleasant. Its the second week when the real test begins. Which key are you on?

OB may be difficult work with occasionally impossible demands but it has a giant appeal, freedom.
No other department allows you such autonomy in how you operate provided you are keeping your lanes off yellow.
I had my first day yesterday. I think I'll fit in just fine. Seems very fast paced, however as a fidgety spazz with years of previous warehouse experience, I think I'll meet expectations or exceed them (after ramp, of course!) Pretty nice that you'll be left alone most of the time unless you've got that light on. Going in for my 2nd day half-shift soon. Wish me luck!

I had my first day yesterday. I think I'll fit in just fine. Seems very fast paced, however as a fidgety spazz with years of previous warehouse experience, I think I'll meet expectations or exceed them (after ramp, of course!) Pretty nice that you'll be left alone most of the time unless you've got that light on. Going in for my 2nd day half-shift soon. Wish me luck!
Good luck! As long as you have the right mentality and a little physical strength its pretty easy work. Yeah some days suck but find me a job where that isn't the case.
Best tip I can give a new guy: build smaller walls. Too many guys start out building walls that are double if not triple the size I build mine.

Outbound is a tuff department to do. Super physical and monotonous. The one department I’ve never done and never will. What’s starting pay like at that dc? I wish we had/could have a thread comparing starting pay from dc to dc. Was thinking about transferring and that could help.
I'm new and just dipping my toes in, but I believe this is a great position for people who are OCD and enjoy puzzles. Wish we could listen to some tunes, though 😞
Guess I'll just have to scare off all the old-heads with my awful renditions of Whitney Houston.
Watch out, B2.

Good luck! As long as you have the right mentality and a little physical strength its pretty easy work. Yeah some days suck but find me a job where that isn't the case.
Best tip I can give a new guy: build smaller walls. Too many guys start out building walls that are double if not triple the size I build mine.
My trainer taught us to never build a wall higher than our outstretched arms while we're on the top step of the stool. Seems like a good place to start, what do you think Luck?

A1: Sat, Sun,Mon. 6am-6pm after the 19th of Sept.
Congrats on getting a day shift. If you dont miss your weekends too much, only working 3 days a week is a dream. I give you the same advice I gave Sunnyshine but I also give you both the advice: don't chase yellows! It doesn't matter how good you are, some days they are unavoidable. The difference between someone being successful and someone struggling is how you handle it. If you stay in the lane you are in and (as quickly as you safely can) knock it down nearly all the way before proceeding to your next lane, you will be more successful long term than if you run to one door, do 10 boxes and take the yellow off, then run to your next door and do the same. We recently did a study and something stupid like 20% of the time we spend in doors is lost on walking between doors. It is the biggest source of lost time. Try to reduce it as much as possible!

My trainer taught us to never build a wall higher than our outstretched arms while we're on the top step of the stool. Seems like a good place to start, what do you think Luck?
That was a proper safe thing he instructed you to do :p honestly as long as you aren't under 5'5 you shouldn't have any trouble stacking to the top of the trailer while on the stepstool. One of the biggest keys to getting to the next level is learning to scan your lane and see where a pocket of larger boxes is. I try to time it so that I have access to those boxes when I am finishing the top of my wall. 5 boxes of toilet paper will finish the top of the wall with much less effort than a couple dozen small boxes of shampoo bottles.

Congrats on getting a day shift. If you dont miss your weekends too much, only working 3 days a week is a dream. I give you the same advice I gave Sunnyshine but I also give you both the advice: don't chase yellows! It doesn't matter how good you are, some days they are unavoidable. The difference between someone being successful and someone struggling is how you handle it. If you stay in the lane you are in and (as quickly as you safely can) knock it down nearly all the way before proceeding to your next lane, you will be more successful long term than if you run to one door, do 10 boxes and take the yellow off, then run to your next door and do the same. We recently did a study and something stupid like 20% of the time we spend in doors is lost on walking between doors. It is the biggest source of lost time. Try to reduce it as much as possible!

I'm 6'5'' with a large reach. One of our safety instructors said," He won't have hard time putting those boxes in," lol. So you're saying go as fast as you can with one truck than after that's filled go to the other? Gotcha'. Thanks for the advice.

UPDATE:
For any new outbound hires, please listen up.
It's hot. It's stressful. It's fast paced. Expect to get bruised up quite a bit at first. I have quite the collection on my legs. I struggle with depression, and yesterday I had thoughts of suicide. Broke down. Didn't feel like I could make it through the day, but I did. And I'll push through today, too. This job is not for wimps, and it'll test you. If you're nonchalant and don't stress easily, doors won't be so bad. The money? Still debating if it's worth it.
EDIT:
For any straight women or gay men out there... Plenty of eye candy, so that's a plus ;)

Day shifts seem to have plenty of beautiful women where I am compared to the late\night shifts. Either working higher up or working hard because they made mistakes in life. A lot of fit legs and behinds as a result of the work. Lot's of meat for them to choose from and boy do they go through meat...

Day shifts seem to have plenty of beautiful women where I am compared to the late\night shifts. Either working higher up or working hard because they made mistakes in life. A lot of fit legs and behinds as a result of the work. Lot's of meat for them to choose from and boy do they go through meat...
Oh the stories I’ve heard from outbound. False walls, hanky panky etc.

My first day was good. They stuck us all in depal, 3 people were missing. We were going too fast and they had to stop the machine. Everybody wanted to stay and do our 12, but the OM said naw. The managers are way better than my other job, that's for sure. Heat didn't bother us, we had about 3 fans facing us, you get use to it. May start going back to the gym again to get my strength up again, was getting weak when those 60 pound boxes came!

Back