Archived "Paired up" with new TM in HL

Status
Not open for further replies.

IWishIKnew

This was supposed to be a seasonal job...
Tonight I was "paired up" with a new TM in HL. Now, I've been here less than 2 months, so I was a bit surprised but most of us on the sked were new so, whatever, but I'm not quite sure what that was supposed to entail. TL & ETL told me to check in with him, which I did, when he arrived. Collected him when it was time for huddle. Kept an eye on him and offered a couple pointers in a tricky section (Fan Central) but otherwise just let him know I was there if he had questions. Then 9:30 rolled around and I realized I hadn't heard him take his break so I checked in and asked and told him to take his break.

When I was paired up with TMs after training, they didn't really check in with me, I just went and asked questions when needed and asked them if it was cool to take my break, so I wasn't sure what the expectations were. He seems like a good worker and not the type to need a babysitter, but definitely on the quiet side so I feel bad I didn't check in sooner and make sure he got his break.

What are the normal expectations when you're paired up with a new person as far as checking in and such? What should I have done differently?

I think youre fine I would say training varies based on how long the trainee has been there. First day I think you should stay with your trainee but after that it's acceptable to give them a task and just check in on them as they work it.

Tips and tricks are huge. I think the best trainers let them know how to be more efficient and how to avoid rookie mistakes (Not figuring out second locations etc)

He's been here a week or two, so he's gone through training (I'm not a trainer! Don't wanna!), but I was a bit surprised to be asked by the TL (while I was backing up on a lane, no less) what I wanted him to do.

Me, thinking: ....Uh....I've been here two months! Why are you asking me?

Me, on the walkie: "I've started in the back of C block so have him start in the back of B."

Did I mention one of the things I like about this Target side job thingy is the lack of responsibility compared to my day job? I like just coming in, doing my work, and going home. I wasn't prepared to be even nominally in charge of another TM at this point. I get stressed out spelling electronics, FFS.

He's been here a week or two, so he's gone through training (I'm not a trainer! Don't wanna!), but I was a bit surprised to be asked by the TL (while I was backing up on a lane, no less) what I wanted him to do.

Me, thinking: ....Uh....I've been here two months! Why are you asking me?

Me, on the walkie: "I've started in the back of C block so have him start in the back of B."

Did I mention one of the things I like about this Target side job thingy is the lack of responsibility compared to my day job? I like just coming in, doing my work, and going home. I wasn't prepared to be even nominally in charge of another TM at this point. I get stressed out spelling electronics, FFS.
That does sound VERY stressful. Just take it 1 day at a time.

I don't know anything about Target's policies in specific, but business in general there might be an ADA accommodation involved. This sort of thing is one of the accommodations my daughter has at her work. They can't share his medical information but if he needs extra supervision due to disability they have to get someone to do that. If this hunch is correct, well as you said, nearly everyone is as new as you, so maybe there's something about your personality or work ethic that made you a good choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back