Archived Panic Attacks at work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

themusicalfruit

No, I'm not open. I get paid to stand here.
So, I know there is a whole "off the clock" thread about mental illness but does anyone else experience panic attacks while on the job?

Over the last 3 weeks or so (pretty much ever since TFW), I have been having really bad anxiety while cashiering. The noise gets to me, the pressure builds, I get frustrated with the bags sticking together. The customers don't make it any easier. There are times I literally feel like I need to leave the building because it feels like such a toxic zone for me. I don't know if I should mention all of this to someone in charge. I don't want management or HR to think I am weak and can't handle this job. I love this job, I just sometimes get extremely overwhelmed and feel like everything is closing in on me.

Does anyone else have experience with anxiety at work? Or anyone in management have any advice?

Recently I transferred to a new store that opened near my house. I have had to deal with the different management styles that come with transferring stores. I am a PA and we have not been coming clean on our C&S trucks due to an excessive amount of backstock in the back room. As a result of these challenges, I have experienced anxiety and had to take a day off from work to see the doctor for stomach pains. Talking with your leaders about your anxieties can help. Also consulting with a counselor can also help as well.

Start a dialogue. The worst thing is a lot of people deal with it but they don't say anything. Our HR ETL seems to have a great pulse for how people are doing. She can see right past the "BS I'm great" so many of us give.

if you get a doctors note and hr is cool with it you should be good to go.

unfortunately we aren't staffed for someone just needs to spend 15 minutes away from their job. if you talk to them and want to use your mandated breaks its more likely.

One of my cashiers suffered from anxiety & panic attacks as the result of an assault.
Whenever they got overwhelmed, I'd send them into the GE office to take a break.
The office was dim & quiet with one-way glass so it provided a calming environment.
They' had a dr's note & often a break would do the trick; only once or twice did they have to clock out & leave.

I occasionally have issue with this. I never flat out explained the depth of my nervousness, but instead I would tell the GSTL, if I could have 5 minutes to get my lane together. It's easier to stay calm when my coins aren't still in their paper sleeves, I have enough bags, and there isn't shit all over the ground. Personally, I never have any trouble with the bags like other people do (seriously people, is it really that hard?) but for those that do have issues, keeping a square of moist paper towels to better your grip on the bags helps.

I've gotten close to having a panic attack a couple of times. None of my gsa's know. The easiest way I can explain mine is social claustrophobia. For me it's hard when guest after guest after guest comes though my lane.. now that I'm crossed trained I'm gonna ask if I can do hard lines for the holidays.

Also if I may suggest.. kentic sand. If you like the texture it's fun to play and very soothing.

Office Playground offers what they call 'fidget toys' that were originally marketed to folks with ADD, ADHD, OCD & autism.
There are some good manipulatives that are calming.

I have PTSD due to a 5 year long emotionally and mentally abusive relationship. My anxiety doesn't kick into gear during ever shift, but when we are extremely busy and its really loud around the front, it gets really bad. Honestly, most of the time it isn't so bad that I feel like I need to go home, but I don't feel comfortable asking for 5 minutes to get some air in the middle of a busy shift. Ya know? I've already broken down at the end of my shift while still at my register once due to the stress (like ugly sobbing and wailing). I just would like someone to tell me what options I have at my store for those moments when I feel like I am being smooshed into a box.

if I wanted to let someone know that this is happening, who on staff would be best to talk to? HR-LOD?

now that I'm crossed trained I'm gonna ask if I can do hard lines for the holidays
Probably a good idea, and you can duck offstage if you get overwhelmed. Be aware that you don't have a counter between you and the guests. When it is super busy, sometimes they grab you and knock into you (on accident) and you may find yourself trying to help 5 people at a time.

Probably a good idea, and you can duck offstage if you get overwhelmed. Be aware that you don't have a counter between you and the guests. When it is super busy, sometimes they grab you and knock into you (on accident) and you may find yourself trying to help 5 people at a time.

I didn't think about the no counter aspect. And I've only had to help two at once.. but I'm sure it's worse during the holidays.

Of course. I'm in the backroom for 90% of my shift but I have to head to the floor once per shift or so and oh god no. Every single time I do it's overwhelming. Some guests are so calm but the majority of guests act like scoundrels or vultures chasing after food. It's interesting to observe. Can't wait for Christmas! :eek:

Yes. Yesterday was a nightmare, couldn't wait to get off fast enough, had an emotional breakdown afterward and passed out at my grandmas house. Might have to call in today because of how mentally/emotionally/physically drained I am right now. Unfortunately I'm on my 90 days so I'm damned if I do/damned if I don't. But they just scheduled me for longer hours so idk, maybe I won't be fired.

You should join the United States Marine Corp.

They'd help you out with all that stuff...

I just picked the toughest.

Notice how I didn't suggest the Air Force? ;)

I've had a couple. I kinda tended to bottle it in and then whoops there I go I'm crying. The first I had lasted 2 or 3 hours and eventually they were like okay you can go home. It was basically a straight 45 minutes of crying during lunch, clocking back in and telling the GSA what happened and another couple hours of sitting in the STL's office to gather myself while talking to the ETL HR for a bit. Didn't gather myself, went home. Actually more like I went to have some sushi because I didn't want to go home to my parents like "why are you home already."

Now most of the leadership I work with knows I have anxiety issues and I tell them I need to go to the restroom to chill for a minute if need be. The Target Mobile TL has my back and covers for me while I'm gone. I also keep a stress ball with me, it does wonders having that lil squishy while zoning.

I had a panic attack at work a few weeks ago. I didn't know what it was. It was my first one. My TL kept telling me to get red cards and was bragging to other cashiers and TLs that I usually get a lot. Which I do. But that particular day I was just not getting any. I asked almost every single guest if they wanted one but no one did. At my store if you don't get at least one a day you have to talk to an LOD.

The pressure was building on me and everytime someone said no all I could think was "What if I get fired?". I started to sweat and breathe really fast. I tried to hide it, but everyone could tell that I wasn't okay, which made me even more anxious. My GSTL asked if I was okay and asked me if I wanted to go on a break. I said no its ok then she told me to go. I went to the restroom and cried.

It was not a good day for me. I considered quitting for that reason. To this day I still feel like they pressure us cashiers to get red cards too much. I realize they have corporate on their back but having my fate rest in guests hands (whether or not they get a red card) isn't fair to me. If I asked every person and every person said no, I shouldn't be punished for it.

Last edited:
Bags stick together occasionally for me and every cashier I talk to and try to make friends with. I find it annoying but other cashiers have worse luck than me with them. I get anxiety every time a kid or a baby keeps wailing and bawling and creating a river of tears on the floor. One time a kid who was probably 6 years old was just throwing the biggest tantrum I've ever seen and slapping and hitting his mom and screaming like he's getting murdered. Two ladies offered to help her calm him down. Probably the worst anxiety I've had on the job.

Most of my problems are being crabby, really. I'm tired, can't sleep at night so I post here sometimes, can't let myself de-stress..- and when I get into work and the bags are sticking, I have guests on my butt about coupons and thinking I know every thing and every price and how everything is according to a sign, and just your every day Target Cashierissues I'm really irritable and crabby. But then I'll get some food in me during my 30 or even grab a Pretzel from Food Ave. during my first 15. My break room usually has snacks too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back