Archived Pay discrepancy between SETLs

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoTasking

Reluctant Style TL
Hey all,

I have passed all interviews and start training tomorrow for my new SETL role. My SD has told me that my pay will be $17/hr and there is absolutely no negotiation. However, the other SETL currently makes $22/hr and is ineffective in his job to the point where I still teach and train them 7 months into the job.

I sat down with my SD and ETL-HR for an hour yesterday to try to negotiate and voice concerns and it was completely fruitless.

My question: am I just shit out of luck here or will there be another opportunity to talk compensation?

Last edited:
Hey all,

I have passed all interviews and start training tomorrow for my new SETL role. My SD has told me that my pay will be $17/hr and there is absolutely no negotiation. However, the other SETL currently makes $22/hr and is ineffective in his job to the point where I still teach and train him 7 months into the job.

I sat down with my SD and ETL-HR for an hour yesterday to try to negotiate and voice concerns and it was completely fruitless.

My question: am I just shit out of luck here or will there be another opportunity to talk compensation?
Did that other SETL use to be a a SrTL or been at Target for a very long time, just in a different role? Also do you know with 100% certainty they make that much? They could just be lying.

Did that other SETL use to be a a SrTL or been at Target for a very long time, just in a different role? Also do you know with 100% certainty they make that much? They could just be lying.

They joined the company 7 months ago from another retailer. Their compensation was silently confirmed in my talk with SD/HR

Sometimes I think it may be a matter of timing and how desperate they are to get someone in place. Did you apply for the position 7 months ago ?
It seems like ALL new hires are making the same/more than existing employees because the applicant pool is so small they are offering more to onboard new tm’s. Experience isn’t valued at this time because even existing tm’s are learning new stuff with the new operating model.

I unfortunately did not apply for the position as I was also taking on a new role in a different workcenter

TM to TL usually starts at the bottom of the salary range, hence 17.
Some new hires were offered the top of the range, 22., to get them on board, if filling the positions was difficult.
Case of supply and demand: When supply is low and demand is high, cost increases. When supply is high and demand is low, cost decreases.
They wanted that new tm, willing to pay. You want promotion, they’re hoping willing to work for less.
Sorry.
If it makes you feel any better, i’m Getting 17 also, but I have been a TL for 13 years. Always a good review too.

Last edited:
Makes me feel better about my situation at this very moment and worse about things in the long run—thanks for the response

Externals almost always make more. Internal applicants going from TM to TL get the minimum because honestly the whole point of having a minimum. If everyone got above 17 then there would be no point in setting the minimum to 17. Any pay above minimum has to be approved by the HRBP anyway. When I went from TM to TL I was offered 16 as that was the minimum last year and I negotiated a whole $.50 more. My ETL hr really liked me and told me she thinks I deserve more but it’s not up to her. It’s for reasons like that, store level no one really has say in what you make. The SD has some influence if they’re recruiting or are trying to get someone to stay that’s leaving but HRBP has final say.

Almost 15 years as a TL and I’m at $17.66 as SETL and the other SETL is at $17 with 3 years in. At some point in all of this modernization, you’d think that Target experience would matter.

Almost 15 years as a TL and I’m at $17.66 as SETL and the other SETL is at $17 with 3 years in. At some point in all of this modernization, you’d think that Target experience would matter.
Modernization is so vastly different from the old operating model that experience can be a hindrance, not a help, for success. It may be easier for someone where this is all they know than the person who has one foot in each camp comparing and yearning for ‘the good ole days’. If you Look at things from The viewpoint of the OTHER SEA : “you get paid more than them for doing the exact same thing.”

I agree 15 years you should definitely make more than 17 dollars but I won’t always agree with just because you’re there longer than someone doesn’t mean you should make more. I used to be GSTL at a 70M dollar store and I was extremely good at my job and made TL minimum. While the other GSTL has been with target for 18 years and a TL for 13 but was awful at her job. In my mind if we’re both the same position but I’m preforming at a much hirer rate I should be getting compensated accordingly. Experience doesnt always mean someone should get paid more.

Now I feel kind of shitty, because I got promoted to 19 (pg45?) from TM pay. But I also do have 6 years experience in management (just not truck, lol), which I gather was the deciding factor in making it 19 and not 17.

However I also got brought in at a higher than normal seasonal rate because they really needed someone with specialty sales experience and knowledge (goes back to supply and demand mentioned above) and quite by accident found I was the highest paid TM in specialty sales, other than the battle hardened veterans (TM's complaining about they "only made 'X' amount last check" and you know how many hours they worked...)

It's supposed to be a $4 bump. So if you were at $13 you should be at $17.
I was at $14.12. The part that really gets me is that the SD and the SE-ETL said they “hand picked” me for the position but won’t throw me a bone and give me an extra buck. Oh well.

So I agree that performance outweighs experience when it comes to performance reviews and hiring. BUT, these TL raises were given strictly to get leaders into a pay grade which is why for me experience (or time in) matters in this. Before this happened, there was a pay gap between myself and those coming up and now my pay rate is back to the starting rate. I don’t think I should have to lose out because my pay rate was already in PG45.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back