Archived Pay increasing, hours decreasing

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is their compromise. Yeah, they'll (begrudgingly) give you a (barely) livable wage, but not livable hours. At some point someone has to do inventory of the hours/effort lost to training people that are forced to find new/better/other work because they neglect to keep in mind that brick and mortar's only remaining appeal is customer service.
Isn’t the new end to end pilot addressing that, my store has been on with all the changes and we get yelled at for not saying hi to a guest even if they are on the phone. I think if anything they’ve gone overboard on customer service.

I worked at Kmart for a number of years before they shut down my store. Target is doing the EXACT same things that Kmart did before they closed. Target gets all good news stories for raising minimum wage to $15 at their stores, but they are ignoring everything else that is happening internally.

I worked at Kmart for a number of years before they shut down my store. Target is doing the EXACT same things that Kmart did before they closed. Target gets all good news stories for raising minimum wage to $15 at their stores, but they are ignoring everything else that is happening internally.

So the solution is lower wages? Or are you just trying to bitch your way out of your dumbass argument?

If someone plans to work at Target, they need to realize they will most likely NOT get full time hours. If you are lucky enough to apply for a full time position once you are established, that would be the only way to get full time hours at Target.

If someone plans to work at Target, they need to realize they will most likely NOT get full time hours. If you are lucky enough to apply for a full time position once you are established, that would be the only way to get full time hours at Target.

Nope, but I average 30, and I've continued to average 30 after every pay raise. Pay Raise > Hours. INCREASE THE VALUE OF YOUR TIME.

With this thread, your shoplifting thread, and your dress code thread, maybe Target isn't the best fit for you?

You need to find a job in a store that gives you many hours at a high rate where you can wear shorts and check the temperature in multiple parts of the store when you're not standing around waiting to open a locked toothpaste security case for a customer.
Working in 78+ degrees in pants all summer soaking wet inside a store trying to push freight isn’t exactly comfortable is all I was saying. Banning shorts doesn’t improve production.

Working in 78+ degrees in pants all summer soaking wet inside a store trying to push freight isn’t exactly comfortable is all I was saying. Banning shorts doesn’t improve production.
Find a lighter pair of jeans to wear. Wearing shorts creates injury risk. Good fellow jeans are perfect for that. As for hours its retail non holidays = less hours overall but when theres BTS, Halloween and xmas hours go up. It also depends on what area you work in as well and team size on how hours are divided up.

Granted, my store appreciates my contributions, so this may not apply if you are one who is in the doghouse, but I find that beyond first quarter when we are all on short hours, I will end up with 30 plus hours if I do the following.

Show up for scedule. Amazing how many don't.
Pick up extra shifts on swap board.
Say yes to people needing someone to cover.
Be available to add hours or come in on days off.

That keeps my hours up.

Granted, my store appreciates my contributions, so this may not apply if you are one who is in the doghouse, but I find that beyond first quarter when we are all on short hours, I will end up with 30 plus hours if I do the following.

Show up for scedule. Amazing how many don't.
Pick up extra shifts on swap board.
Say yes to people needing someone to cover.
Be available to add hours or come in on days off.

That keeps my hours up.

This exactly! I do this and I get scheduled for more hours than (I want) people with open availability.

I just want to be there to see how much more prices go up when the $15 wage goes into effect later this Fall.

I just want to be there to see how much more prices go up when the $15 wage goes into effect later this Fall.
Of course prices will go up, they call that 'inflation'.
Wages, meanwhile, haven't kept up or minimum would be closer to $22/hr but business interests always fret loudly about what rising wages will do the economy.
Never mind that higher wages mean more buying power which is GOOD for the economy.
The flipside of spot raising wages is they can hire more people to schedule fewer hours.
More TMs increase the pool for better coverage without having to give them enough hours to qualify for benefits (a HUGE savings); bigger pool means they have more people to call when they have massive call-outs &/or turnover.

Of course prices will go up, they call that 'inflation'.
Wages, meanwhile, haven't kept up or minimum would be closer to $22/hr but business interests always fret loudly about what rising wages will do the economy.
Never mind that higher wages mean more buying power which is GOOD for the economy.
The flipside of spot raising wages is they can hire more people to schedule fewer hours.
More TMs increase the pool for better coverage without having to give them enough hours to qualify for benefits (a HUGE savings); bigger pool means they have more people to call when they have massive call-outs &/or turnover.
$22/hr. ???? Seriously?? For working at Target? There are people at my store who cannot spell or stock by color and have zero interpersonal skills and work on the sales floor.

$22/hr. ???? Seriously?? For working at Target? There are people at my store who cannot spell or stock by color and have zero interpersonal skills and work on the sales floor.
Not all wages are based on skill; some are based on demand.
Perhaps you've missed the whole reason why Target, Walmart, et al are raising their starting rate?

Not all wages are based on skill; some are based on demand.
Perhaps you've missed the whole reason why Target, Walmart, et al are raising their starting rate?
There is no demand for more employees at my particular target though. I get roughly 16-20 hours a week. I could work three more 4 hour shifts and still not be legally “full time” so I don’t see the demand for hiring anyone else. Just give me the extra 8-12 hours (or someone else). The entire flow team only works 4-4.75 hour shifts. They send them home before they legally have to take a lunch (at the 5 hour mark).

Perhaps historically low wages that have not kept up with inflation are a part of the reason that retail companies have so many idiots working for them. 🤷‍♂️
So if the minimum was say $35/hour you’re saying doctors lawyers nurses and architects would apply to work at Target? People who go to college don’t typically apply to Target after gaining a degree in higher education.

It is really sad to me people still have to work multiple jobs. I know some really awesome slightly older people at target with kids and families that work a full shift, then off to their second job right after. I am astounded at the strength of all of you that do that. I'm not sure I could survive even if I had too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back