Archived Pay increasing, hours decreasing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently during my review I was told that I only received a nickel raise due to my state enacting the $15 minimum wage within a couple months. When I asked my immediate supervisor if my hours would drastically go down, he laughed and changed the subject. I only get four hour shifts, so I am curious to know what may happen.

This is their compromise. Yeah, they'll (begrudgingly) give you a (barely) livable wage, but not livable hours. At some point someone has to do inventory of the hours/effort lost to training people that are forced to find new/better/other work because they neglect to keep in mind that brick and mortar's only remaining appeal is customer service.

This is their compromise. Yeah, they'll (begrudgingly) give you a (barely) livable wage, but not livable hours. At some point someone has to do inventory of the hours/effort lost to training people that are forced to find new/better/other work because they neglect to keep in mind that brick and mortar's only remaining appeal is customer service.
Well, I can understand in a way it’s not totally Target’s fault as they are being forced to give the wage to everyone (and not everyone at my store deserves an increase), but I would honestly rather keep my 20-25 hours per week, than get bumped down to 15-20 at $15/hour

Well, I can understand in a way it’s not totally Target’s fault as they are being forced to give the wage to everyone (and not everyone at my store deserves an increase), but I would honestly rather keep my 20-25 hours per week, than get bumped down to 15-20 at $15/hour

This makes zero sense. Why would you rather have more hours for less pay? That's literally making your time worth less. Always take more pay. Always increase the value of your time. If you work that few hours, you can get a second gig, and make more money. You can use your higher pay to negotiate a higher wage at a new job too.

are forced to find new/better/other work because they neglect to keep in mind that brick and mortar's only remaining appeal is customer service.
Oculus and other VR platforms have not become very intrusive in our lives, yet.
People “go out to shop” , because it’s a necessity and a form of social interaction, brick mortar provides instant gratification.
Mom gets excited,Kids get excited, dog get excited , even if dad doesn’t.
People don’t go brick & mortar because they’ll see their favorite cashier, or the dude who fills the shelves. They go to get out of the house. To get instantly gratified.

I’m working that now...
Better than staying home and complaining that “I’m worth more” for $0/hr

Work another job, genius. Invest that extra time into a career or education.

Last edited:
These forums are for people who WORK AT TARGET. Suggestions such as get more education or another job are adding other variables into the equation. If I had another job, or a “career” I probably wouldn’t be posting in a Target forum.

People like you are why I support a living wage. For some people, retail is the best they can do. They shouldn't be living in poverty for that, at least they're still working. You remind me of this.

Fact of the matter is, your time has value. Always look to increase that value. Hours aren't stagnant. They fluctuate constantly. By your logic, you'd be happy working 40 hours at $10. It doesn't make sense. If you can work less, for mostly similar income, that benefits YOU. It's up to you to figure out what to do with your spare time.

How do you know if I work at Target full time? Just assuming? And, honestly, only about 50% of our store deserves what they make

How do you know if I work at Target full time? Just assuming? And, honestly, only about 50% of our store deserves what they make
Yikes, dude. Like I said....good luck.

When people have the idea that they deserve a certain wage just because they were hired at a job, it highlights the real problem.

I guess, enjoy being poor?

When people have the idea that they deserve a certain wage just because they were hired at a job, it highlights the real problem.

Paying people a fair wage is a sign of respect and acknowledgement of the value of people's contributions to the business.
When people are treated fairly and with respect, they will provide unparalleled levels of support and commitment inside the business, and to clients and customers.
Everyone is more successful when people are paid a living wage.
- Amy B. Lyman

That applies to hours as well.

You can use fancy words and dance around the main point, but that is truly denying that there are slackers at Target, and the fact that you think they should be paid the same as someone who busts their ass to go above and beyond what is required really makes me wonder what people are thinking by wanting everyone to be paid “fairly.”

Paying people a fair wage is a sign of respect and acknowledgement of the value of people's contributions to the business.
When people are treated fairly and with respect, they will provide unparalleled levels of support and commitment inside the business, and to clients and customers.
Everyone is more successful when people are paid a living wage.
- Amy B. Lyman

That applies to hours as well.
Everyone who is paid $15/hour will provide unparalleled commitment and support to Target? Wow, can I come work at your store in Utopia, USA?

With this thread, your shoplifting thread, and your dress code thread, maybe Target isn't the best fit for you?

You need to find a job in a store that gives you many hours at a high rate where you can wear shorts and check the temperature in multiple parts of the store when you're not standing around waiting to open a locked toothpaste security case for a customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back