Archived PDA/LPDA Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nauzhror

Service Advocate, Formerly GSA
If you attempt to log into a PDA as a GSA instead of a Salesfloor TM, why does it require your Workbench password?

I had previously assumed it was so it could restrict it to those that are actually keyed as GSA's, but I realized yesterday that doesn't seem to be the case as our new GSA couldn't manage to log in to get prompts so I tried logging in as a GSA so he could get prompts with me logged in and that worked fine.

GSA has some confidential such as TM names and payroll/sales reports that are available.

I'm aware, but my point is I'm not a GSA, but it lets me log in as one so long as I enter my workbench password. Why bother asking for the workbench password if anyone can log in as a GSA?

That's weird, when I sign in as a tm I have to put in my password also but I don't get all the info as the GSA/gstl

Does it say are you stil a tm?
Or does it say are you still a tl/gstl?

I don't think ours say anything about GSA

The log in has to do with the information it pulls relevant to your role.

If you do any of the ones that requires a log in (gsa, gstl, lod, br tm, etc) it's just so it can pull relevant information from the store databases, like compliance warnings, FF picks, cashiers hitting the Help button, sales totals, conversion numbers, etc.

The equipment report is a lot more damaging than the information you can get from a logged in pda. Equipment report gives you TM#s and unredacted full names.

I've been logging in as etl-lod since about two weeks after I started as aTM. It's common practice in my store for all TLs and GSAs to log in as ETL-LOD, in addition to their normal log in role, so that they can keep an eye on long shift and compliance warnings.

The log in has to do with the information it pulls relevant to your role.

If you do any of the ones that requires a log in (gsa, gstl, lod, br tm, etc) it's just so it can pull relevant information from the store databases, like compliance warnings, FF picks, cashiers hitting the Help button, sales totals, conversion numbers, etc.

The equipment report is a lot more damaging than the information you can get from a logged in pda. Equipment report gives you TM#s and unredacted full names.

I've been logging in as etl-lod since about two weeks after I started as aTM. It's common practice in my store for all TLs and GSAs to log in as ETL-LOD, in addition to their normal log in role, so that they can keep an eye on long shift and compliance warnings.

I guess what confuses me is, that type of info shouldn't require a login, it should just require you picking a role.

AP was telling me that there are things on the PDAs that can be done that require him to keep an eye on. He gets reports of specific things and anything out of the ordinary requires follow up. My guess is all of those things require a TM to put in their password so they can't claim that another person did it under their log in info. But that's just a guess.

you can log in as a stl in the pda as long as you have a workbench password. outside pcv's, and huddle notes, there's nothing fun to look at. you can see sales, and red card totals?

people do leave pda's all around the store though. i have so many guests giving them to me, i think that's why they do more for higher positions.

Odd, never once had a guest give me a PDA. Guess our store's better at not misplacing them :p

The main reason you need your workbench password, is because the alerts system interfaces with other computer systems and needs to authenticate with your active directory credentials (tm# and workbench password)

Least that's how I understand it.

The main reason you need your workbench password, is because the alerts system interfaces with other computer systems and needs to authenticate with your active directory credentials (tm# and workbench password)

Does this mean that you should only receive alerts you're "allowed" to receive? Because I, as a cashier, receive all the same alerts that GSAs receive (when logged in as a GSA).

It gives you the alerts for the workcenter that you are signed in to be. If you sign in as an LOD, it will give you all LOD alerts, etc.

Does this mean that you should only receive alerts you're "allowed" to receive? Because I, as a cashier, receive all the same alerts that GSAs receive (when logged in as a GSA).
No its just part of device authentication. The "certain alerts" is only linked to what you log in as, not anything to do with your credentials. I could log in as a ETL and get ETL alerts.

Guests and team members steal PDAs to get money for their meth addictions. An ETL once said that at my store.

Our AP made a big deal about not leaving PDAs unattended, because people would steal them and sell them. He then made a point to take any unattended PDAs to show people how easy it would be for a guest to take one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back