• Thread starter TMSF
  • Start date
  • Replies 28
  • Views 5K
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TMSF

Our STL said to us, when the Vibe was being announced, that we would be possibly switching to iPods later on this year. Has anyone heard anything about that?

Nothing has happen yet. Just watch your gs iPad for the scanner option to be activated. They are doing a lot of updates on software for the next 3 months. Currently, my personal iPod scanner doesn't work on spot wifi. But, I use my mifi, it works.

The wifi that Target has setup is horrific. Everytime you turn your cellphone on and off, you have to agree to the terms each time. I can do that about twice before I turn it off and then get better connection with 3G.

I only had to agree once, but I do have to load up the target wifi welcome page before I can actually go to any other sites.

There's a way to set it so you don't have to do that though. Like the cable companies with wifi hotspots do, they'd save the devices' mac addresses so the wifi automatically connects your device. If Target doesn't do that, they'd probably just have a separate, hidden network for non-guest stuff.

I've heard rumors about it, Lowes is already using Ipods (phones maybe?) with actual laser scanners on them

The same JCP that won't be having another Christmas shopping season? Ha. Hope that's not a trend :)

Pft, they can't even get software right on the pda's, I can only imagine what it'd be like on an iToy. Though, the os would be better than using the pos windows mobile os. Another example of how this company mismanages spendings. While I'd love to carry around an iPod instead of a bulky, slow pdt, I doubt they'll get anything right, at least for a good long time.

Our STL said to us, when the Vibe was being announced, that we would be possibly switching to iPods later on this year. Has anyone heard anything about that?

How do you replace a data device with an iPod, which is basically a music player (with limited media playing capablity)? Or are you talking about an iPod Touch? Or an iPhone? Please say what you really mean!

so this is saying i will peitty much be pulling batches with an iPhone? o_O

My phone and ipod are faster than the PDAs anyway. And when I don't get a pda, I always wish I was allowed to just pull out my phone and search the target app. It's actually pretty damn fast and gives you aisle numbers. Though, I'm sure any official TM ipod wouldn't be using the mobile app and all the fun stuff would be blocked.

A bunch of stores use iOS devices. As long as target doesn't switch to square's pos system making us all cashier on the floor (like the Apple store), I'm fine with it.

I read on sharepoint regarding new equipment. Apple devices are not Rolling out. Lpdas are bein replaced with some sort of Motorola cellphone looking device. PDAs will be replaced with the same device just updated hardware(instead of a straight line you can scan from any direction. Upside down side ways etc ).. Target is mostly focusing on the software rf apps.. Item search etc.

that would be bad news for a guy like me who pretty much refuses to touch anything apple and is a big android supporter.

that would be bad news for a guy like me who pretty much refuses to touch anything apple and is a big android supporter.

It wouldn't be much different than a cashier who has a moral objection to pushing RedCards... You suffer or you suck it up, possibly while you look for a new job. *shrug*

...Not sure I understand this. It isn't like they're asking you to take it home with you. If you were a big IBM fan, would it be bad news for you to work in a store that used NCR cash registers instead of IBM ones?

As a bitechtual person who leans toward android (I mainly use a mac and have a rooted android phone, nexus 7, and I had an iPod touch for a while), it's really not bad, using an Apple/iOS device. Like any other tech, apple devices have pros and cons, but using one at work isn't gonna make you want one all of a sudden and it doesn't burn your fingers when you touch it or anything. And you probably won't loose any fanboy street cred.

Our STL just got their iPhone last week, and said that it's the word on the street that Target is testing or will be switching to different a handheld system - possibly Apple devices.

As a bitechtual person who leans toward android (I mainly use a mac and have a rooted android phone, nexus 7, and I had an iPod touch for a while), it's really not bad, using an Apple/iOS device. Like any other tech, apple devices have pros and cons, but using one at work isn't gonna make you want one all of a sudden and it doesn't burn your fingers when you touch it or anything. And you probably won't loose any fanboy street cred.

Imagine me telling my ETL that I can't work. Sorry, I like blue, not red. I can't wear this red shirt.

Sorry, I like Palm not Symbol and Microsoft. I can't use the PDA/LPDA.
I don't like NCR, I only use IBM cash registers.
I can't go in the backroom, I only use doors that have door knobs. I can't go near swinging doors.
I can't push that tub of boxes to the home location, I don't push boxes. I only do individual items, not whole casepacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back