Archived performance managing someone out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the people that are getting performanced out should act like their livelihood depends on the job. Part of work is performance, and if you're not performing there's no reason to keep you around.

That is nice in theory but as someone who was performanced out because the STL was uncomfortable with my epilepsy (even though I did my job just fine) I have to say there are a whole lot of reasons that perfomancing people out can be pretty evil.

I think it's horrible that target uses the word coaching to have negative contations. Coaching is supposed to be encouraging and seeing someone's potentional not getting them in trouble.
Holy shit, this, though! When I first became GSA my old GSTL was like "so you can do anything except coachings" and I had literally never heard the word before so I just assumed I'm just supposed to supervise but not step in and improve anyone. It took me a long time to realize that they've turned coaching into a bad word.

...and then my new GSTL gave me a coaching for not managing ten thousand things at once, and every time I say "I think my GSTL just gave me a legit coaching" it's like..... fuck, no they didn't? They just told me to do better and manage my time better. Gosh dang, like.... It's all so scummy and a vicious twisting of words that I never really took apart until this post....

In theory a coaching isn't supposed to be negative unless someone is royally messing up. I know there are some people that abuse it and make it negative but it really shouldn't.

In theory a coaching isn't supposed to be negative unless someone is royally messing up. I know there are some people that abuse it and make it negative but it really shouldn't.

The GSTL at my store abuses coachings like they are going out of style. She writes every thing down, has cashiers initial every piece of paperwork she prints off and doesn't feel like her shift is successful unless she has coached half of the front end team. The team dreads seeing her on the schedule.

The GSTL at my store abuses coachings like they are going out of style. She writes every thing down, has cashiers initial every piece of paperwork she prints off and doesn't feel like her shift is successful unless she has coached half of the front end team. The team dreads seeing her on the schedule.
Cashiers shouldn't be signing anything unless it's a corrective action.

Good luck telling that to a fire breathing team lead hell bent on making everyone's day miserable. The thing that irritates me is our ETL-GE clearly doesn't like the way things are being done, but is too much of a pushover to do anything.

Maybe the people that are getting performanced out should act like their livelihood depends on the job. Part of work is performance, and if you're not performing there's no reason to keep you around.

This. I understand that people work at different paces, but I shouldn't be able to run circles around you. Some people just don't care and it shows and it is absolutely not fair that other people get paid the same and They can run circles around them.

Coaching is a positive thing if done correctly. Your leader should be letting you know what needs to be worked on and should be asking questions to help you improve and seeing what you need from them to better yourself. It's documented, yes, because if I have to keep talking to you and you're not absorbing what I'm saying simply because you don't want to, then why are you there?

You have to remember that this job is supporting MY CHILD, and if you aren't going to give me 100% then my job is on the line. Work like your family comes first and there won't be any issues.

I have a TM that no matter what I tell her, she just doesn't learn or refuses to learn, so I don't feel bad when I have to issue a CCA or deliver a termination since they were given multiple chances to improve. My job is on the line just as much as theirs.

This. I understand that people work at different paces, but I shouldn't be able to run circles around you. Some people just don't care and it shows and it is absolutely not fair that other people get paid the same and They can run circles around them.

Coaching is a positive thing if done correctly. Your leader should be letting you know what needs to be worked on and should be asking questions to help you improve and seeing what you need from them to better yourself. It's documented, yes, because if I have to keep talking to you and you're not absorbing what I'm saying simply because you don't want to, then why are you there?

You have to remember that this job is supporting MY CHILD, and if you aren't going to give me 100% then my job is on the line. Work like your family comes first and there won't be any issues.

If only it worked that way. It works 100% on how much the GL likes you or how much you open your mouth.

In my opinion... If you aren't doing your job and wasting my payroll you can get out. I love my team and am very understanding. But if you spend half your shift talking at first service, receiving, etc or walking back and forth because you can't manage your time after over a year in the same position... Meh. I give people plenty of chances, however at the end of the day I'm your boss.

See, I hate this, because this is how most of the TLs and ETLs see things. "Well, they didn't meet my personal expectations, so I'm documenting it." But lately the expectations are for TMs to do the work of 8 in half a shift or else they get spoken to. And every member of leadership has different expectations. I've had to fight A LOT of potential write-ups because one ETL will complain that I didn't finish what I was asked to, but it was because a different ETL told me to do something else.

It's just such a terrible system. Meanwhile, we have people who have been working there for years who BRAG IN FRONT OF EXECUTIVES about doing nothing their entire shift, and they've never been coached at all.

*Edit for a weird spelling error.

In my opinion... If you aren't doing your job and wasting my payroll you can get out. I love my team and am very understanding. But if you spend half your shift talking at first service, receiving, etc or walking back and forth because you can't manage your time after over a year in the same position... Meh. I give people plenty of chances, however at the end of the day I'm your boss.

You didn't read what I wrote. If you had, you would have noticed that I was talking about conflicting ETLs giving conflicting tasks. You may be the boss, but so are the other six people on the Executive team. When you each assign the same person a different task with a high priority, you're creating a problem that is only going to be taken out on the TM. And it's not fair.

You would probably be good at getting rid of the slackers at my store, though, who literally stand around or walk in circles around the store to avoid working.

You didn't read what I wrote. If you had, you would have noticed that I was talking about conflicting ETLs giving conflicting tasks. You may be the boss, but so are the other six people on the Executive team. When you each assign the same person a different task with a high priority, you're creating a problem that is only going to be taken out on the TM. And it's not fair.

You would probably be good at getting rid of the slackers at my store, though, who literally stand around or walk in circles around the store to avoid working.
When conflicting tasks are given, that's mainly due to a lack of communication from the leadership team. We can't hold it against the TM, it's not fair unless they aren't getting anything done no matter what.

I missed the ETL/conflicting tasks part. This does sometimes happen at my store, in which case I confront the other TL/ETL not the TM. I'm not going to hold a TM accountable if they're given an abundance or tasks and unrealistic expectations.

This is totally a lack of communication from the leadership team and not the TM's fault. BUT the TM should be telling the conflicting ETL what the other ETL told them and make sure they figure it out.

My signing TM would literally get called 30+ times a day, so I made it known that if they were going to pull her then they are to ask me first. This helped alleviate the "important" tasks that they were just too lazy to do themselves. Also now she has a to do list in my office so if anyone needs something from her they can add the task.

If you have had multiple years of experience and see what they are doing and feel it's really just based on a dislike and/or personality clash. What in the Target realm is your alternatives they burn your ability to work at Target and with the documentation you wouldn't want to use them as a reference. Can you find out what's in your file. I know some states they are required to show you at least, everything except company owned correspondence.

Coaching are supposed to be used to help the team member be more productive, correct issues, work more effectively, and a tool to show the team member how to correct any issues. It should be a learning experience AND IF you keep spewing the same coaching over and over then it goes to a CCA...I've termed a team member who refused to make changes needed and it took 9 months from 1st coaching to termination. I've also taken a team member to their final CCA and that was the wake up call they needed because it was for attendanceto finally get their ish together. But I've also witnessed it used to target those who maybe aren't as liked...if your work ethic is there you'll do it right if not then maybe your leadership skills are lacking.

What's the best practice on performancing someone out? After they're on a final warning, how many coachings does it usually take for them to be termed?

What's the best practice on performancing someone out? After they're on a final warning, how many coachings does it usually take for them to be termed?
I think it's a case by case. During the critical period, no coachings. After that, it gets a bit grayer. Attendance sometimes gets a couple, while something like not qmosing I'd say one more coaching then that's it.

This is totally a lack of communication from the leadership team and not the TM's fault. BUT the TM should be telling the conflicting ETL what the other ETL told them and make sure they figure it out.

My signing TM would literally get called 30+ times a day, so I made it known that if they were going to pull her then they are to ask me first. This helped alleviate the "important" tasks that they were just too lazy to do themselves. Also now she has a to do list in my office so if anyone needs something from her they can add the task.

This is hilarious, as I am in the same boat. "BigEyedPhish on Signing, there is a header down in 02, can you come put it back up?". I literally was given one (differing task each) by my ETL's today, while simultaneously trying to help our one PlanoTM set the new Vacuum Transition, and breakout my BTS bin pallet, that was as tall as me and twice as long.)

I am going to start asking TM's whether or not, they are up to date on their ladder safety training instead.

I miss the TL contribution meetings for exactly this. I can't tell you how many times one TL would tell us Sally Sue was her bottom performer and had coached her and was ready for corrective action. Then the very next TL would say Sally Sue was her top performer. I really think part of it is different expectations especially at closing. On any given week you can have a team member getting direction from a different TL every night.While one TL may focus on an impeccable zone, the next might focus on service. So a team member may respond to every single backup which TL #2 thinks is great, TL#1 might think they don't know how to zone. A team member should never ever be surprised they are going on corrective action. Although you don't need to say "this is a coaching" your conversation should be direct with actual goals. Some TLs miss that part. You can't just say "you zone too slow". Instead zone with them for a few minutes. You would be surprised by what causes someone to be a slow zoner. Once you see where hangups are, show them the quick way. Then give them a goal -you should say by 8pm you should be through B aisles. Check in to see how they are doing. Recognize them for improvement. Its amazing how many team members can be course corrected. Its expensive to hire and train team members. The goal is to keep the ones you hired. I think way too many people expect new team members to come in and know how to do everything perfectly within a month. We suck at training. Sure its great lip service but no hours to back it up. We throw new team members to the wolves. A cashier shift, shadowing someone for a shift on the sales floor and then poof! you're on your own. But half of the shadowing shift was spent back up cashiering the rest was working with someone who has no idea how to train someone and was simply the person who happened to be working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back