Archived Pharmacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been offered a job to work as a pharmacy tech. I am currently a GSA and service desk. What are the benefits of working in the pharmacy instead of the front lanes?

More pay. Multitasking & sick guests.
Closing at 6pm on weekends & 9pm during the week.
Opening at 9am everyday.
Getting knowledge & experience can lead to other job opps outside of spot, if your get certification.
You might be a cashier there.

Last edited:
Target covers your training & after you get your certification, you can be Rx tech with ANY pharmacy, not just Target.

Pharm is AWESOME! Haha, i cant wait til i'm moved from being a backup. While i love my Sbux, I'm thrilled when i get to work in the Pharm. Take the job and enjoy it. You'll love it! You also get to know your "regular" guests. And i just feel it's a more personal work space!

More pay. Multitasking & sick guests.
Closing at 6pm on weekends & 9pm during the week.
Opening at 9am everyday.
Getting knowledge & experience can lead to other job opps outside of spot, if your get certification.
You might be a cashier there.

Depending on which store it is, it might be even earlier...some close at 7 during the week, 5 on Saturday, and have 11-5 hours on Sunday :thumbsup:

Our phamarcy is hopping all the time. We beat the new store that is 20 minutes from us, they have those hours.

Hey guys,

What kind of training is offered to new pharmacy techs with no experience?

Hey guys,

What kind of training is offered to new pharmacy techs with no experience?

There's a training plan that consists of several components w/testing for each one. Took me about 2 hrs. You learn the 5 steps of Rx processing from intake to the final check-out w/the guest, emphasis on HIPPA, current FDA restrictions on pseudoephedrine purchases & the like.

Mamak1 is our current expert. Post her help.
I don't know that I'd call myself an "expert", but thanks for the vote of confidence :thumbsup:
There's a training plan that consists of several components w/testing for each one. Took me about 2 hrs. You learn the 5 steps of Rx processing from intake to the final check-out w/the guest, emphasis on HIPPA, current FDA restrictions on pseudoephedrine purchases & the like.
Yes, like redeye said, this is about it as far as "formal" training goes. Now with flu-shots coming, there's also one on those. Other than that, it's all pretty much hands-on. You should be assigned a "trainer" who will go over the rest...where certain drugs are kept (the ones that are used most often *aka "fast movers" are usually kept separate), how to fill, labeling, computer training (AFA processing scripts, insurance, guest info, etc), reporting, returns, ordering, etc. How quickly you go through all of this is basically dependent on two things: the volume of your pharmacy and how adept you are at "picking things up". The one thing I can't stress enough is ACCURACY. Don't worry about doing things quickly (that will come with time), worry about doing things correctly. Nothing makes a pharmacist more irate than a tech that constantly makes mistakes :disappoint:

Oh, and if you're "new to Target" altogether, you'll have to go through cashier training as well ;)

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me here or send me a private message :)

Last edited:
Hello, I am currently working at a Walmart Pharmacy and to be honest I really like it. I have been with Walmart for over a year in the Pharmacy and have enjoyed every minute of it. That begin said, my hours had to be cut way back because we moved to a new store and our script volume went down. I talked to my current manager and asked them how they would feel if I were to go work at Target in the Pharmacy. My manager said that they would be behind me and give me an exemplary reference. I then went and talked to a Pharmacy Manager at Target, and asked him if he had any openings. He told me that he currently did not, but had me give him my number saying that he would call me when he had something. I know Walmart has an awesome computer system with a short learning curve ,and I am kind of interesting in hearing what Target uses. I have heard that it is a little outdated, and maybe hard to use? I also am interested in the workflow and general ways that you do things. I think it looks fun to work at Target, (ideally I could work both places, but "conflict of interest") I just want to know a little bit more about how you do things before I take a job and need to "re-learn" how to do things.

Welcome Wally world tm! The learning modules isn't really outdated. They are fairly current. It sounds that you are a pharmacy cert tech person. It may depend on your state laws for how much you are allow to do.
Spot pharmacy is a great place to learn & help guests. At my store, our techs have been there for more than 5 years. Because they love it. Mamak1 is a cert tech. I did the pharamcy training for the cashier side. So I don't have much info on details.

Sorry, hardlinesmaster, I have to disagree...PDX is COMPLETELY outdated compared to what other pharmacies are currently using and have been told from interns who have come to our store after being at others that it's not easy to learn after using one of the "windows based" systems. Once you get the basics down, it's not too bad, but there are QUITE a few "bugs" in it, which is common in DOS based systems. I've heard RedRx is slightly better, but haven't actually used it yet myself, so can't really comment on that. AFA workflow, I'm sure it's basically the same...receive, fill, check, release. There are also reports, returns, etc., but those are fairly easy to do as they're pretty straightforward and I guess at most pharmacies, the pharmacists do a majority of them.

Each store does things slightly different so I can only comment on how my store does it (and hardlinesmaster is right, your state may have laws limiting how much you can do as a tech), but our ETL-Rx entrusts us to do quite a bit....pretty much everything they aren't required by law to do (check, counsel, and take/give copies over the phone). We process Rxs, enter guest information, contact insurance companies, fill, reshelve meds, do the order, answer the phones, run reports, process refill requests, receive, release, mix concentrates, etc. I recently found out that some stores only allow the techs to receive/release, fill, reshelve, answer the phones, and process refill requests...the pharmacists process all scripts (primarily to deal with the "bugs" mentioned previously) on top of checking, counseling, doing copies, reports, mixing, etc.). Interestingly enough, we are one of the top pharmacies in our district and they are one of the lowest....

If you want to know anything specific, feel free to send me a private message or post again here, happy to help :)

In my state, techs need only be registered, no certification requirements, and the only things we cannot do is counsel (no spell check :-/) we also cannot do the final check of the script before it is bagged, there are other things Walmart will not let us do so as to safeguard the script a little bit more, (only the pharmacist can bag a script, but I hear we are going to some barcoding thing and we will bag the script.) Also, techs at Walmart near the end of the year are going to start wearing professional clothes and ditching the kahki and blue. Any chance ofthat happenig at target?

Sorry to ask so much, :) but hey I'm one curious cat. At Walmart, we have what's called "zonership" basically we are assigned an area of work for the day and that is our station: dropoff/input, fill, troubleshoot, various other things, drug order, log copies... Is this how target works too? Or at target are you responsible for the completion of every step of a script? Does it depend on the laws of the state, or is there a type of "zonership" at Target too? I know that there are going to be changes from every place I work, but I guess I am scared of needing a total brainwash. :) (not that a total brainwash is going to kill me, bit still hah!)

At my store, no way!
The pharmacist makes sure all scripts are done for the day. Techs order pills & such by 6pm, with pharamacist' s ok.

Last edited:
Target follows your state guidelines RE: licensing/certification for techs. In mine, we have to be licensed to start and have 2 years to get cert. HLM was actually mistaken, I'm only licensed, but working on my cert ;) Pharmacist duties will also follow what they're required to do by law.

Sounds like WM & Target are pretty similar, but no news on switching to more "professional" dress, and I personally hope they don't...I have a skin issue and can only wear certain materials, "dress shirt material" is NOT one of them :nea: As far as "zonership", we only have 3: receive/release, enter, fill. As I said, some stores do it differently (not necessarily based on law, but the ETL-RX-aka "head pharmacist"), but I think most are as you stated, you have an "assigned" station for the day (or at least part of it). Of course, if you are "caught up" and someone else is busy, you are expected to help them, but I'm sure it's the same at WM. Usually the receive/release person also does the order and any reports that need to be cared for. Having been a tech will DEFINITELY help you "catch on" much quicker...I came in off the street with no experience whatsoever, but have managed to hold my own ;)

Target also has the ClearRx system that you'll need to become familiar with. It's nothing major, just something unique to Target ;)

At my store, no way!
The pharmacist makes sure all scripts are done for the day. Techs order pills & such by 6pm, with pharamacist' s ok.
I think in every state, the pharmacist has to "check" the script at the very least. We do a majority of the order, the only thing the pharmacists have to do are the CII's, but they don't "check" what we order or anything...they now have to check in the order when it arrives as well (why, I have no idea, but rules have changed), and they also now have to keep a log of the number of bottles of "certain controlled substances" we go through to make sure we are "dispensing" the same amount we are "ordering" (all Targets have to do this now)...

My folks are certified at my store. When tech is doing the order, one pharmacist always wants to review the order placed.

Yeah, I know the RPH has to at least check the script, I guess I was wondering if say Mrs. Smith bring in a script for Keflex, and Jim (The Tech) greets her and takes the script, is Jim the tech that enters the info into the system from the script, then does Jim take the label and fill it, and then I would assume Jim gives the script to the RPH who then verifies the script and bags it then hands the script back to Jim to file it in the will call bin. Or is it like Jim greets Mrs. Smith, hands the script to Sandy to enter into the system, and then it goes to Joan to fill the script who then gives it to the RPH, who hands it back to Jim to file? I hope I haven't just confused you guys too much :)

In my state, MN, basically all the Pharmacist does is double check the Tech's work (In Walmart's workflow following MN rules.) the Pharmacist is the only person who can do a consultation, and the RPH also does the fill of all CII's.

Process of a script at Walmart:
1) Drop-off/ Input: Tech 1 greets pt. at drop-off window, then the Tech scans the script into the computer (and files the script away) and then inputs the info into the computer using the onscreen version of the script.
2) RPH Check:After the tech puts the info in, it is sent to the RPH to check that the info was entered into the computer correctly. When the RPH accepts that it is correct, it get sent to the filling cue.
3) Filling: Tech 2 (the filling tech) then using their handheld PDA scans a tote with a barcode on it. Now a fill is assigned to that tote, on the screen of the handheld PDA the drug name, stock bottle size, pill type (Cap, Tab, Supp, Liquid) location (Fridge, Fast Mover, CII, OTC, Normal) qty needed for fill, and bottle safety cap preference are all displayed. The Tech will go to the location of the drug, Keflex 500 (Fast mover) scan the barcode on bottle to make sure the correct NDC is used, or type it in to make sure that the correct NDC is used for a few of those pesky manufactures that decide they don't want to put a barcode on the bottle. The tech will then bring the bottle to the nearest pod and count it out into the bottle. The tech will then scan a printer to get a label and label the bottle. After the bottle is labeled it goes into the tote and goes onto the Visual Verify rack.
4) Visual Verify: The RPH checks to make sure that the pills match the picture on the screen and do all the other Pharmacisty stuff. Then the Pharmacist bags it and gives it to an Rx-Cashier to hang appropriately in the Will Call Bin.
5) Pickup: The Rx-Cashier will greet customer and ask for pt. last name. They type it into the computer and search for that last name. We also ask for the Month and Day of birth to get the correct pt. We will then go and find the script in the will call bin and use the barcode to check the script out of the system. The script is now available to be checked out at any register. The system does know if it is check out of the computer and it does not make it though the register.

http://walmartstores.com/Careers/7958.aspx

I used my knowledge of the system that we use, but that link may be helpful if you're interested.

If anyone is willing to spend a bit of time, I would appreciate a workflow of how you guys do it at Target! Does target let you work in the Pharmacy as a Tech as your main job-code and pick up hours outside of the Pharmacy as long as you spend at least 51% of your time inside the pharmacy tech-ing? At Walmart we are able to do this as long as the job that is being done would make less than we make tech-ing. Also, any idea of how much I would make being uncertified with one year of experience. Looking for MN amounts if any of you are familiar.

(I talk way too much sorry) I swear curiosity is going to be the end of me. It is also nice to know what I am going to be in for when I do make the switch over to Target!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back