Archived Planograms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hired on as a presentation team member about two weeks ago and I've just gone through my first two days of training. I did what I was doing for the first two days and that was pushing out merchandise, but today I started to really learn about what I would be doing and I felt like a deer in headlights because a lot of info was thrown at me. I understood where to put each price label using the planogram, but I think I struggled with knowing where to put up hooks and what not if that makes any sense (it's my first time working retail so don't mind me if I'm not usng proper lingo). Anyone with helpful tips when it comes to planograms?

The best tip I can give you is to ask questions. In my experience, it takes a good 2-3 years to get completely comfortable with setting Planograms without assistance. The more questions you ask, the more it shows you are trying to figure it out. Ask the other presentation team members what tricks they use to set- sometimes that will simplify something that seems complicated by seeing it done a quicker way. And don't feel overwhelmed; it is a lot to learn and remember but with time it will get easier.

The best tip I can give you is to ask questions. In my experience, it takes a good 2-3 years to get completely comfortable with setting Planograms without assistance. The more questions you ask, the more it shows you are trying to figure it out. Ask the other presentation team members what tricks they use to set- sometimes that will simplify something that seems complicated by seeing it done a quicker way. And don't feel overwhelmed; it is a lot to learn and remember but with time it will get easier.
Ditto.

One of the first things I tell new TMs while training them is that I'm going to throw a bunch of info at them and I don't expect it all to stick on the first day. Ask questions if you're not 100% confident in what you're doing. Setting a planogram incorrectly negatively impacts just about every TM in the store, doing it right the first time is imperative. You'll be slower than some of the veteran TMs for a while, don't let that discourqge you, it's expected.

So my third day was a little odd because the person who was training me had her day off so I didn't have someone there to train me so I basically did what I've mostly been doing and that's pushing out merchandise. I just continued doing that with three other TMs because I didn't want to make seem like I wasn't working. I just wish someone gave me some sort of direction or something because I didn't know whether I was supposed to continue to push items out or help set up aisles and price labels.

So my third day was a little odd because the person who was training me had her day off so I didn't have someone there to train me so I basically did what I've mostly been doing and that's pushing out merchandise. I just continued doing that with three other TMs because I didn't want to make seem like I wasn't working. I just wish someone gave me some sort of direction or something because I didn't know whether I was supposed to continue to push items out or help set up aisles and price labels.
Is there not a presentation team lead to give you guidance and to check up on your training?

I don't really know and if I knew who it was I'd be asking questions and what not.

Usually presentation are in-store promotions, it can be quite difficult for someone with zero retail experience to get accustomed to the role. 2 Worst things you can do is not asking questions and guessing.

Presentation was my last regular store position before I went into AP. I'm surprised they put a external hire in a role like that without some prior experience. Like someone else said it's usually a role that is filled via promotion with people that have other store processes down. There is a huge learning curve.

With that said you should have met your Team Leader (supervisor) by now. Also, in my opinion, you should have been paired with an experienced person on the team and shadowed them for a week minimum before being left alone. My TL started me off on paper towel/tissue aisles, pretty much the easiest ones, before moving me onto more complex aisles, like ones with pegs.

Keep asking questions.

It's not impossible to learn the presentation curve if you are an external hire. I was hired externally with very minimal plano experience to a presentation role and now 8 years later I am the resident Plano/signing expert. Took me a good 3 years to get truly comfortable working with any planogram handed to me though.

When there seems to be nothing to do. Clean and organize. Clean shelves, organize anything the team has taken off the shelves/peg hooks.
Learn how to put backer paper up. How to print POG labels. Play a supporting role to your team members. In the process you will learn a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back