Yes or no

• Yes, I'd risk my job

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • No, I wouldn't

Votes: 37 63.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just wanted to do a quick poll. You see your APTL, ETL-AP, APS or maybe even TPS all alone and someone is about to swing on them/ they look violent and already are fighting them. All the guests are watching, about 20. You are the only team member near, and the guests are yelling for you to help. The guy/girl is the same size and sex as you, but you don't know what they could have. The fight has been on for about fifteen seconds, but your AP is about to get beat up. What do you do? Run and help and stop or watch?

Basically your fellow AP is trying to apprehend someone and there all alone but about to get beat up

Do you help or do you watch?
20 people are yelling at you to help.

Last edited:
Call the cops...

He's alone...except for the guy he's fighting and the 20 onlookers?

What?

We've all seen the articles about Wal-Mart employees getting fired for doing what seems to be the right thing but is against policy. It takes forever for them to get their job back and back pay (if any) and if they lose the fight for their job? Well, now they're significantly less employable because they "can't follow directions" in a way that puts the employer at risk (in the employer's eyes) and are a mini-celebrity that may attract unwanted attention. I don't trust the goodness of strangers to help me pay my bills enough to put my livelihood and physical well-being at risk.

You're not just risking your current job, you're risking all jobs you might have in the future as well.

Is this hypothetical? And by fighting with them do you mean fighting to get control of them (and back to the office) or are they physically throwing punches at each other?

A physical ongoing fight during an apprehension is very rare. Most people that fight with you during those situations just want to get away from you and leave before the cops show up, they usually don't want to stick around. Now AP is allowed to defend themselves, just like anybody can legally defend themselves. But if they (AP) continues to engage the person who is trying to leave that is a problem and one you should stay out of.

The only time where I would jump in would be when it crosses the line from the person just trying to get away to the person continuing to fight and they have the AP in a compromising situation, like overmatched and on the ground, which like I said before would be rare.

You're risking your well being as well and the well being of others as well. One wrong fall on your head can kill you. And who knows if the guy has a weapon. Who knows, even trying to deescalate a situation can have an adverse effect. Plus, being weak as fuck, and also rude, I know I can't do shit to prevent a fight.

The scenario presented to us is kinda stupid. Why wouldn't the AP guy just walk away? If he can't deescalate it, no one else can either. Why would you get involved because some stupid guest expects you too? How can a crowd of 20 people gather, knowing a fight is about to erupt? If there's that much time, why wouldn't AP walk off, call for back up, or call the cops himself?

No one is going to look at me, and think I have a solution between my giant AP guy and someone he's about to fight. Call the LOD, call the cops. It's the only logical solution. Getting involved and trying to be a hero is reckless and can endanger those around you.

Call the police. Like many others have said, Cops get paid money to deal with all types of disputes and are trained for those types of dealings. No matter how "street" many of us "think" we are, they are people with more "unexpected" thinking and that shouldn't cost you your job and most importantly of all, your safety!

I'd distract one of my TPS so the attacker could get a clear shot. Fuck that douchebag.
8154A42D-F67B-499E-B5EB-9499D753FD84-1834-00000192FCB6CEAB.jpeg
Uhhhh...

In response to the question, I'd try to walk away and deescalate things, but when push comes to shove, if you're following me and actively trying to assault me after I've tried to remove myself from the situation, I'm gonna be out of a job.

Last edited:
If you or anyone else feels they are in danger, just hold down the talk button on your walkie. I did this when I was working at guest service a few times. Especially if the guest is really out of control people come running and the 911 call can be made quick. To answer the poll, I would be dialing 911.

legally in my state they must be in danger of losing their life or serious injury before you are legally able to step in. Now target would fire you before they day was done, even if you just saved AP's life.

AP knows when to disengage from an app and let the shoplifter go. If the subject attempts to assault a tm, I will absolutely step in and do what I can to protect the tm and detain the subject for the police. As a leader in the store, anything less on my part would be disgraceful imo.

Just a hypothetical situation for you guys, if AP is about get assaulted/beat up, you have a boatload of guests yelling at you to help out (clearly they don't know policies) wha would you do?

They are your same size, AP is trying to apprehend them, but then they turn on them and start getting aggressive and looks like they are about to get assaulted. What would you do?

Just a hypothetical situation for you guys, if AP is about get assaulted/beat up, you have a boatload of guests yelling at you to help out (clearly they don't know policies) wha would you do?

They are your same size, AP is trying to apprehend them, but then they turn on them and start getting aggressive and looks like they are about to get assaulted. What would you do?

CALL DAH COPS!!!!

There's no one size fits all solution to every situation. Did the assault occur while the subject was passively resisting, did the subject go out of his way to come back and assault the tm, etc.? In general, if I suspect an assault is about to occur on a tm, I would step in and do what I can to neutralize that risk. That could mean simply providing my presence, that could mean me giving the subject a verbal command, that could mean me using soft hand control methods, that could mean me using hard control methods (although at this point, you probably won't get support from your APBP). Just because a shoplifter passively resists, doesn't mean they're assaulting anyone.

If my TPS is involved I'd kill em dead

Ain't no one touch my baby

But really I'd probably be willing to use my box cutter or pepper spray if I had the chance. Might not be able to wait the 30 yrs for cops to show up

There's no one size fits all solution to every situation. Did the assault occur while the subject was passively resisting, did the subject go out of his way to come back and assault the tm, etc.? In general, if I suspect an assault is about to occur on a tm, I would step in and do what I can to neutralize that risk. That could mean simply providing my presence, that could mean me giving the subject a verbal command, that could mean me using soft hand control methods, that could mean me using hard control methods (although at this point, you probably won't get support from your APBP). Just because a shoplifter passively resists, doesn't mean they're assaulting anyone.
You're making this simple question extraordinary complicated.

If it gets real bad I'll step in. Wouldn't let anyone get beat up in my store. And it does happen, without disclosing my location it happened in a close district to mine. People stealing and getting cornered try to swing on people just so they don't go to jail right away.

Lots of interesting opinions! Cool to hear both sides of the debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back