Yes or no

• Yes, I'd risk my job

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • No, I wouldn't

Votes: 37 63.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As AP it would be extraordinarily rare, but if it was 100% on the ground be physically attacked and completely alone, yes jump in and help (if your willing to risk your job because knowing Spot you WILL get fired) BUT please for the love of god call the police first. They would be more of assistance.

Chances of that happening are slim to none. For two reasons
1) We hardly solo app at my store unless it's super minor shit. Typically we app with a manpower of at least two. Sometimes three or four. So if someone wants to fight all of us, that would be a stupid move.
2)Typically boosters try to get away, not fight. One time a booster threw a light punch at my APS to get away. Second that punch was thrown, you heard sirens approaching from all directions and 6 cops where there in about a minute. Now petty theft became felony robbery and battery. The vast majority of boosters are not that stupid, which is why it was a super light punch. Regular shoplifters never fight, they just try to run.

A mixture of things, I suspect. They view themselves(and somewhat rightfully so) as a police for team members(power to the head.) They're also told not to mingle too much with the normies, so that creates an even larger gap. As with any enforcement job, the vocabulary used and the way in which you speak is often terse, confident(again, rightfully so,) and unfamiliar to most people. They have trouble differtiating speech, vocabulary, and body language when dealing with normies, so there's that.

Again, though, just an observation.

What I had perceived as condescending I later learned was working in a job where communication is very low context. High context and low context communication refer a lot to what you mention. Low context is purely concerned about communicating through spoken word, accuracy, objective information, remaining neutral in every sense, using "the right words." High context is communicating through relationships, rapport building, not so concerned about what words you choose but the relationship you're building, etc. Law enforcement is one of the most low context jobs I can think of. It's a different communication style. A lot of people criticize it for appearing robotic.

Seeing as I probably have a hero complex, I think I would probably risk my neck to assist the AP TMs at my store. Obviously without being in that kind of situation I don't know how I truly would react.

If you seem condescending, perhaps changing the way you're perceived should be important ^_^ -- or not. With my experience with most retail AP, this is almost always the case. Occasionally, you'll run into a well rounded person, like my former ETL AP, but not near often enough.

You want horrible at communicating and miserable in general picture someone who was the APTL not getting the promotion to APETL when the store changed over so they make him the PTL.
Talk about a someone who was hard to communicate with.
He went from being the only person on his team to having a full team, a couple of whom were retirees who had taken the job as a extra money, had fought in Korea and just weren't willing to put up with his shit.
I felt bad for the guy and defended him until he helped the STL performance me out.
It didn't make me feel better to find out he was gone a few months later.

I am not going to fight anyone over anything that Spot sells. If they wont it bad enough to fight for it ...then let them have it and the cops can deal with them. I am not ap. I don't want to be in ap. I respect those that are but its not for me. With that being said I don't know what I would I do. I do know I would call 911 . I also know that with how Spot works if I jumped in and single handed saved the ap and all the guests ...I would either get fired OR get five hours the next week. Sometimes you cant win for losing .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back