Archived Possible promotion ahead. Suggestions? Personal Exp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
Today I had a very interesting conversation with my ETL and it seems like there might be a chance to move to a TL position soon (possibly by the end of the year). I will keep the details for myself but I was wondering what TL experience you guys have. Which one would be better when it comes to chances for development and chances to "shine"? Front end, Sales floor or Logistics?

I came from the sales floor, and I'll always sau that it's the best place to be if you want to get noticed anf promoted. You can "shine" in logistics and at the front end, all from the sales floor. There are lots of small things you can do for big perceived impact.

I was in Electronics when I got Hardlines TL. Basically for me since my TL was on LOA for some time, I basically took charge and ownership of the department and thats what got me developed fast. My ETL at the time thought I knew more then I actually did so he also started giving me projects and I had to figure it out on my own, and when need be, I asked someone else to teach me. Basically be ready to learn, take ownership since that is what being a TL is mainly. Hope this helps...

Sales Floor TL is going to make you the most global and will probably give you the most variety in your day. Follow that with Logistics TL and then GSTL.

Then again, if you can hit your metrics (push times, REDs, etc.) those positions could get you noticed, too.

Sales floor is probably the best starting role to learn things. Logistics is probably the hardest and has the most impact of getting you promoted again. Both positions are a good place to learn

Well it seems like there is A LOT of movement in the district and they want me to be ready in a month for any position that might open. I've been told that they got a "feeling" like it might be front end. Honestly it would be my least favorite place but I would not complain.
Would you guys share more details about what challenges or project you took on, what were the issues that took the most energy/effort to improve and what steps did you take to fix them?
I know if I become GSTL "REDCARDSREDCARDSREDCARDS" is going to be all I will think of but I'll gladly take more input from all of you!

BTW thank you for taking the time to answer :)

So I had my TL interview today! When I put the application in it said "hardlines TL", but when I got in the interview my HR lady was saying so your here for the "soft lines" TL position! (She's a new HR for our store) I was kind of surprised because of what the application said. I know very little about Softlines and when I say little I mean veryyyy little! The only time I worked in Softlines was when I was on the flow team lol! Anyone have any pointers or advice for me if I do get this position? It would be crazy of me to turn it down if I do get offered it just because I don't know the area! Ask me about hardlines, market, backroom, ship from store I can answer those questions, but Softlines is a no go!

If you learned the other areas, you can learn SL. Prepare to be comfortable with gray areas--fewer hard and fast rules than HL. Also, by the time they offer it to you, it could be back to HL!

I don't think so about HL! Our SL team lead just transferred to another store and HL already has a TL in each dept. Is setting adjacencies the same as setting a POG?

Kind of. But not as black and white. There are directions for where to put clothes, but you will often have to make changes based on instocks or individual store layout. It's lots of fun and a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back