Archived power struggle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure I wasn't in the wrong, but I'd like to get an outside opinion.

after a year of hardlines, I've decided to switch work centers. I've made it known to my current ETL and HR and they said I should start getting schedule in my new center in a month or so and I'd just have to wait for my ETL to hire and train new team members. I'm perfectly fine with that, seeing as it's the middle of BTS and they're a bit low in TMs for the salesfloor.

the ETL of the new work center wants me to start right away however. theres some major changes going on in my store and so it's very busy there and he needs as much help he can get. this week I'm at 40hrs and 6 days already. the new ETL texted me asking me to come in on my day off and take my Thursday off. however he made no effort to get that shift covered, simply saying "it should be fine," even when I asked about it bc isnt that how it usually goes?? cover your other shift so the team isnt lacking one person?

I asked both my current ETL and another ETL and they both agreed that I shouldn't go in/skip Thursday bc I was scheduled for that day and not on my day off. If the new ETL had made the edit, it would be different, but he didnt. he just asked me to come in.

I didnt go, but I feel that it now created a strain between me and the new ETL. I dont want to transfer over there and then he hates me from the start bc I didnt do what he wanted me to even though I'm not in his department yet?

I'm not sure. I close today so I'm going to ask my current ETL about it later about how to go forward from this, but what do you guys think of the situation and what should I do? I tried to keep it vague to keep my anonymity just in case, so if its confusing I apologize.

Sounds like the ETL in your new work center is thinking of himself and his work center only, and to Hell with everyone else. First clue is that he didn’t edit your schedule to take responsibility for the change. He put you in a position that no matter what you did you would be be in trouble with someone because a work center would be short-handed. This is his responsibility to straighten out with the ETL who writes your schedule before he asked you to switch shifts. Whether or not he holds a grudge because you didn’t go in that day, this is the type of conduct that you will probably encounter from him if you transfer to his work center. Forewarned is forearmed. Good luck!;)

When I ask someone to come in and don't have time to make the edit I send an email to HR for them to make the edit even if it's the day of and text the TM so there is a paper trail. Even if it goes into the swap shift board under that work center for the shift not yet covered, but not under your name. You need to have something written to come in off schedule, technically even in your work center but especially if it's outside of your work center. If you were under 40 hours or OT was approved that may be different, but you should not be held accountable for poor communication or poor management.

Did you agree that you would come in on your day off, and then simply didnt?

I did say I would come in, but I was under the impression he would get my Thursday covered because that's how it usually goes, but he didnt. even if I did listen to him and go in on my day off and not on Thursday, 1) I'd be on the 7 day report, 2) I'd be marked NCNS on Thursday, 3) it'd look bad to my current ETL and to HR.

I did say I would come in, but I was under the impression he would get my Thursday covered because that's how it usually goes, but he didnt. even if I did listen to him and go in on my day off and not on Thursday, 1) I'd be on the 7 day report, 2) I'd be marked NCNS on Thursday, 3) it'd look bad to my current ETL and to HR.
the new ETL texted me asking me to come in on my day off and take my Thursday off. however he made no effort to get that shift covered, simply saying "it should be fine," even when I asked about it bc isnt that how it usually goes??
Not necessarily, if he asked you to come on your day off did he also told you to take Thursday off? If not and you agreed to come in you should have got your overtime , it wouldn’t be your problem to deal with. There is a call log and they asked you to come. Last week alone I worked 50 , my Etl sales floor called me on my day off , and so did my Stl. They never changed me in the computer but I told hr , what hours I work. And it was the end of it

If not and you agreed to come in you should have got your overtime , it wouldn’t be your problem to deal with.
In my store that would likely only happen once & would likely settle the pecking order after the STL heard about it.

I'm sure I wasn't in the wrong, but I'd like to get an outside opinion.

after a year of hardlines, I've decided to switch work centers. I've made it known to my current ETL and HR and they said I should start getting schedule in my new center in a month or so and I'd just have to wait for my ETL to hire and train new team members. I'm perfectly fine with that, seeing as it's the middle of BTS and they're a bit low in TMs for the salesfloor.

the ETL of the new work center wants me to start right away however. theres some major changes going on in my store and so it's very busy there and he needs as much help he can get. this week I'm at 40hrs and 6 days already. the new ETL texted me asking me to come in on my day off and take my Thursday off. however he made no effort to get that shift covered, simply saying "it should be fine," even when I asked about it bc isnt that how it usually goes?? cover your other shift so the team isnt lacking one person?

I asked both my current ETL and another ETL and they both agreed that I shouldn't go in/skip Thursday bc I was scheduled for that day and not on my day off. If the new ETL had made the edit, it would be different, but he didnt. he just asked me to come in.

I didnt go, but I feel that it now created a strain between me and the new ETL. I dont want to transfer over there and then he hates me from the start bc I didnt do what he wanted me to even though I'm not in his department yet?

I'm not sure. I close today so I'm going to ask my current ETL about it later about how to go forward from this, but what do you guys think of the situation and what should I do? I tried to keep it vague to keep my anonymity just in case, so if its confusing I apologize.
You shouldn't have to do anything, after both ETL's know... Period. It is up to them on what path they send you on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back