Pricing and Presentation Presentation Team Lead

Any tips on what I can do better as TL for presentation? Before presentation I was a TL for SFS during 4th quarter. I was comfortable with my role as had support from other TL's and my ETL. We did excellent as a store during 4th quarter (Keep in mind it wasn't just me as we had 3 SFS leads at the time). Now that 4th quarter is done I have moved to presentation. One of my piers think that I'll do good but I know I can be better. I am comfortable reading the adjacencies and prepping the workload for the week. Also, my presentation experts are very good at what they do. However, I seem as if I'm more of a doer than a leader. What are some routines that you have seen or done that have ended with great results? Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated.

We are modernized however we are in a strange situation as we are actually only supposed to have 3 GMTL's but we have 5. So we divided the workload and I received strictly presentation.

We are modernized however we are in a strange situation as we are actually only supposed to have 3 GMTL's but we have 5. So we divided the workload and I received strictly presentation.
Hmm we are 8 tl and I own inbound . Sea and plano ( as in planning the workload and hand it to the gm tl . Because plano tl went away there no such thing because it’s 5-8-10 tl.
8 without counting the 4 softlines , one beauty , one electronics , 2 market , 2 coser , 3 setl ( and the 2 vmg)

Last edited:
That's quite the workload and I can't imagine how it is at your store considering it is high volume. Also, that is a crazy amount of TL's!

I can only speak for my store, but if my tl is scheduled presentation, he's 90% of hos time right there setting with us. For example, this week in cosmetics, my tl is scheduled 40 to set. He took 4 hours Monday to do preties and other things, but the rest ... setting, because that's what the hours are for. I don't need a leader telling me what to do 8 hours a day. There's only 2 us "experts" left.

Believe it or not there are 6 of us setting cosmetics right now and that includes myself and another TL. We always follow the pre-tie schedule which is 2 weeks before on a Monday. Also, we prep the workload for the rest of the DBO's in which they have their individual mailboxes.

Wait a minute? Presentation TL? What about modernization?
Are you resurrecting the rumor that PPTL is being eliminated ?
i remember the pilot modernization stores eliminated the pog team along with flow/pricing/backroom but I thought when it was rolled out to stores the pog team remained.
I’ve seen some changes to responsibilities for a PPTL but not too confident each other GMTL will be able to handle a transition in their area with everything else they do. Especially if it’s a difficult flip aisles one !
Isn’t it more efficient to have one person watching workload completion rather 3-5 GMTL? If each GMTL only ensures there own area is completed who is watching company space ?

Hmm we are 8 tl and I own inbound . Sea and plano ( as in planning the workload and hand it to the gm tl . Because plano tl went away there no such thing because it’s 5-8-10 tl.
8 without counting the 4 softlines , one beauty , one electronics , 2 market , 2 coser , 3 setl ( and the 2 vmg)
YOU own inbound AND Plano while there is a VM and 4 TL in softlines and 3 SETL!
Who manages GM - all the salesfloor DBO’s ?

Be prepared! The workload is dropped up to 6 weeks out. Know what's coming long before it gets here. Have things mapped early. I am an advocate for pre-tieing as much as you can. Have your adjacencies printed out and make sure your GMTLs know their areas and have a map, as well. They should be managing their DBOs workload as far as Revisions and Salesplans are concerned, but the more you're aware of it, the better you'll be about managing your workload too. TWT (transition workload tool) is a major asset and helps track the weekly progress of what is tied and isn't.

The sad reality is; TWT is going away. The company wants us to use the Set Workload Tool in MyWork as our primary tool for pre-ties, tieing and making sure the workload is done. It may be the single most frustrating tool to date. Definitely designed by an engineer and had zero user feedback in development (seriously, it's a mess of a tool).

Work with the Inbound lead to capture and sort transition whenever possible. Work with area GMTLs to let them know big transitions are coming and that they need to prepare (work out d-code, do EOL and PC batches, and complete pricing workload early...) If they help you before you get there, half the frustration of getting rid of stuff will be done. Setting a nearly empty aisle is always better than setting an aisle full of clearance and then having to find a place for that clearance.

Know who your strong setters are and who can work independently. If you aren't around to "lead", knowing you have a team that can be self-lead is important. Then when you are around, you can spend time with the weaker players to get them up to that level. I'm a GM2, so my time is not in setting, it's in planning and delegating. I check on my transition team, but I have a department to manage too. My hours are under GM, not presentation, for that reason. I try to be as prepared as much as I can, so I'm not surprised. Check Early Set notes on workbench as well and keep up with the Store Weekly and Addendums. There is a lot of useful information in them for what's coming and what might have been overlooked.

Be prepared! The workload is dropped up to 6 weeks out. Know what's coming long before it gets here. Have things mapped early. I am an advocate for pre-tieing as much as you can. Have your adjacencies printed out and make sure your GMTLs know their areas and have a map, as well. They should be managing their DBOs workload as far as Revisions and Salesplans are concerned, but the more you're aware of it, the better you'll be about managing your workload too. TWT (transition workload tool) is a major asset and helps track the weekly progress of what is tied and isn't.

The sad reality is; TWT is going away. The company wants us to use the Set Workload Tool in MyWork as our primary tool for pre-ties, tieing and making sure the workload is done. It may be the single most frustrating tool to date. Definitely designed by an engineer and had zero user feedback in development (seriously, it's a mess of a tool).

Work with the Inbound lead to capture and sort transition whenever possible. Work with area GMTLs to let them know big transitions are coming and that they need to prepare (work out d-code, do EOL and PC batches, and complete pricing workload early...) If they help you before you get there, half the frustration of getting rid of stuff will be done. Setting a nearly empty aisle is always better than setting an aisle full of clearance and then having to find a place for that clearance.

Know who your strong setters are and who can work independently. If you aren't around to "lead", knowing you have a team that can be self-lead is important. Then when you are around, you can spend time with the weaker players to get them up to that level. I'm a GM2, so my time is not in setting, it's in planning and delegating. I check on my transition team, but I have a department to manage too. My hours are under GM, not presentation, for that reason. I try to be as prepared as much as I can, so I'm not surprised. Check Early Set notes on workbench as well and keep up with the Store Weekly and Addendums. There is a lot of useful information in them for what's coming and what might have been overlooked.
Thanks for all the info! At my store I'm usually planning the workload and setting if it is a huge set like for example cosmetics. But if it is not a big set I check how they are doing and ask if they need any help. I didn't know TWT is going away which sucks :( Luckily I don't have a department but who knows that can change soon. EOL batches is something that I tend to forget and will have to utilize going forward.

Back