Archived Promised near 40, but not getting it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it normal for HR to say that the potential is high for me to get up near 40 hours in fullfillment during the hiring process? As I’m only scheduled to work 5.5 the week after training. I’m already considering quitting if it doesn’t improve.

As we get closer to the holidays your hours will increase, possibly close to 40. But after the holidays, you're probably back to that 5.5 hours a week.

Don't be one of those TMs who threatens to quit every time something doesn't go your way. Talk to your ETL first.

ASANTS but at my store typically your first 2-3 weeks will be low hours for 2 reasons: 1) The pace can be a shock to most people so HR usually starts all new TMs with a light schedule during their training. 2) Most ETLs don't have 40 hours banked for new TMs to onboard. I try to keep 32 hrs banked every week so that I have enough to onboard 2 new TMS. 4 hours for orientation + 4 hours for online training + 4 hours cashier training. Then another 16-20 hours the next week to get used to the job. The 3rd week is when I start giving out serious hours.

You'll need to wait until the new schedule comes out. If you're still low, then go talk to your ETL (or whoever writes your schedule)

I’m not one of those TMs, but as someone that has a college degree that was promised up to near 40 hours per week, 5.5 for my 3rd week seems insultingly low.

In addition to LT's points, keep in mind that the schedule was already written for the next 2-3 weeks from your hire date. They have to find space and hours to squeeze you in during those two weeks. So yes, hours are always shorter at the beginning.

he has a college degree guys, he should be the STL

the schedule was written before they hired you, so the fact that you're getting any hours at all is something to be grateful for.

I’m not one of those TMs, but as someone that has a college degree that was promised up to near 40 hours per week, 5.5 for my 3rd week seems insultingly low.

Through the holidays you should get (near) 40 hours, after that, expect a severe drop, provided they keep you on. Hours are few and far between from the week after Christmas until the start of Back to School the following summer, unless you are in leadership. Hours drop again after August and are usually low until late Oct/early Nov, at least at my store. If you want a 40 hour a week job year-round as a TM, Target is probably not the place to to find it.

Say something nicely to your ETL if the lack of hours means you can't pay your bills or something. Otherwise just be chill and see if your hours don't increase. I've picked up hours as a new hire by just being around for the ETL to ask if I'd like to pick up a shift the next day to help out and saying yes. Also, check the swap sheet.

HR should have never promised 40. Although you earlier said HR told you that “the potential is high for [you] to get up near 40,” which doesn’t really sound like a promise but is definitely misleading. A college degree for a job that doesn’t require or need one isn’t going to get you any special treatment. Hell, it’s not going to get you any special treatment for a job that does indeed require a college degree. That said, I would be on the hunt for new jobs if you have a college degree and a good work history/career history, especially since you were most likely hired seasonally and there will be a huge drop in fulfillment orders necessitating workforce reduction come January.

Now back to the 5.5 hours...one shift a week for a new hire this time of year is not unheard of as most stores experience the lowest hours of the year in October weeks 2/3 (even lower than February...I know how crazy that sounds but it’s true). Hours do pick up significantly October week 4 and into November. Watch the swap shift board and talk to your peers. Someone may be willing to give up a shift for you. Talk to your leadership too as they may be willing to give you an extra shift or know someone who is looking to give a shift away. Be willing to cashier too. Most stores always have cashier shifts on the swap shift board.

The brutal truth is we need to start hiring now for seasonal so we are ready to go by Black Friday. The problem is even though we need to bring a large number of people on board, the payroll just isn't there yet. We have enough to hire, orientate and train (yeah Im using that term lightly) people but thats about it. You simply cannot bring on 100 people in a 2 week period and have them all ready to go when the shit hits the fan.So new hires will be receiving very few hours. No one should guarantee 40 hours to anyone! Even TLs aren't guaranteed 40. They are simply guaranteed full time which can be as low as 32 which does happen in Feb sometimes. Like everyone said the swap shift board will be your friend right now. Also answer your phone when Target calls!

Thanks for all info guys, it’s my decision easier on quitting tomorrow not that difficult. It’s pretty shady practice that HR promises me one things and I get the other. Would have been more understanding of the whole situation if I had at least 20 hours, but 5.5 is just ridiculous

Lying Cat has one thing to say about HR TL...

jgpxneasvbpaj8eil4xw.png

Thanks for all info guys, it’s my decision easier on quitting tomorrow not that difficult. It’s pretty shady practice that HR promises me one things and I get the other. Would have been more understanding of the whole situation if I had at least 20 hours, but 5.5 is just ridiculous

HR should have been upfront and told you that you would get from 4 to 40 hours a week, and that 40 hours wouldn’t kick in until later in the season. Besides being wrong, HR not being completely honest wasted everyone’s time, including his/her own. 🙄Good Luck.🍀

No just respectful hours, 5.5 hours is a joke
Im guessing that degree isn't in business...

... the joke is coming into retail, bragging about being a college graduate and expecting full time hours in a job market that's been giving less than that to limit benefit eligibility hard since the ACA passed. What planet have you been living on?

Why is everyone jumping on OP? Based on what HR told them, they accepted the job. OP is upset because they're getting a fraction of the hours they were led to believe they would get. People have bills, gotta eat...

We know Spot's little games:. beg to stay late, come in on your day(s) off.. You shouldn't have to play little games or jump through hoops to get the hours you were told to expect.

No just respectful hours, 5.5 hours is a joke

I get it. You took a job thinking you'd be working X number of hours and thus making a certain amount of money. As a result, you stopped looking for other jobs. They aren't giving you those hours and you aren't making that money. That sucks. Welcome to capitalism.

But, don't just quit. You have a lot of time to keep looking for other jobs. After you get one, you can tell Target to shove its lack of hours up its ass. And, it is retail. Things pick up in November. If you do good work, then you'll get lots of hours next month. Don't give up a job in the hand before you have another one or two in the bush. Look for other work, talk to your ETL, and check the swap sheet. If you find another job before Target's hours pick up, then quit. But, get that other job first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back