Archived Promised near 40, but not getting it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im guessing that degree isn't in business...

... the joke is coming into retail, bragging about being a college graduate and expecting full time hours in a job market that's been giving less than that to limit benefit eligibility hard since the ACA passed. What planet have you been living on?

I wasn't bragging at all, I guess I just have higher ethical standards when an employer promises you hours to get you in the door and then you don't get those hours and you turned down other jobs cause 35-40 Hours at $12 is pretty decent. I'm frustrated with myself and with HR for turning down other job offers, I really thought that I would have gotten at least 20 hours. At the end of the day I don't want to quit as I want to grow within the company is there any way of getting cross trained then picking up other shifts?

Last edited:
To people saying they’ll have 40 during the holidays, the last few years I haven’t gotten 40 during the holidays like I use to. Hell, last year I worked 6 days the week of thanksgiving/black Friday and still ended up with only 37 hours. 😂

I wasn't bragging at all, I guess I just have higher ethical standards when an employer promises you hours to get you in the door and then you don't get those hours and you turned down other jobs cause 35-40 Hours at $12 is pretty decent. I'm frustrated with myself and with HR for turning down other job offers, I really thought that I would have gotten at least 20 hours. At the end of the day I don't want to quit as I want to grow within the company is there any way of getting cross trained then picking up other shifts?
I’m trained in many areas of the store and I don’t think I’ve worked 40 hours at all this year. I know I’ve worked 37 hours a few times. Most of my weeks have been between 28-32 hours.

Asants though, 🤷🏽‍♀️

The logical step is to stick it out while applying elsewhere to see what your hours are like when you get worked in to the schedule. We all are agreeing that it wasn’t explained well to you, but to just quit, what for? Is this a second job for you?

And don’t flaunt your degree when you’re half a day deep into an entry-level seasonal job. It’s silly.

The logical step is to stick it out while applying elsewhere to see what your hours are like when you get worked in to the schedule. We all are agreeing that it wasn’t explained well to you, but to just quit, what for? Is this a second job for you?

And don’t flaunt your degree when you’re half a day deep into an entry-level seasonal job. It’s silly.

I wasn't flaunting my degree, I was more pointing out the fact that there are other opportunities out their for me as I have a degree. I decided to take this position as I like Target as a company and hope to use my degree to move up within the organization. Part of my decision on taking the position was that they offered me 35-40 hours per week at $12, I thought this would be a great chance to get my foot in the door while earning good money to live a partially good lifestyle in the short term. Had they said that I only be getting 5.5 hours 3 weeks into the postion I wouldn't have taken the position. I most likely be a lot more accepting of the change if they gave me at least 15-20 hours, but to go from 35-40 hours to 5.5 is pretty ridiculous.

I wasn't flaunting my degree, I was more pointing out the fact that there are other opportunities out their for me as I have a degree. I decided to take this position as I like Target as a company and hope to use my degree to move up within the organization. Part of my decision on taking the position was that they offered me 35-40 hours per week at $12, I thought this would be a great chance to get my foot in the door while earning good money to live a partially good lifestyle in the short term. Had they said that I only be getting 5.5 hours 3 weeks into the postion I wouldn't have taken the position. I most likely be a lot more accepting of the change if they gave me at least 15-20 hours, but to go from 35-40 hours to 5.5 is pretty ridiculous.

Seasonal is the absolute worst time to get in to retail with the idea that you’re taking the job to get a promotion. Now you have the job with the company and you won’t be able to work your way up if you just up and quit.

Here’s a grand idea, stick it out and apply for a team lead position online or an ETL position right now. I suggest ETL Logistics specifically because there are openings.

Work the 5.5 hours, and put in applications at other places. Target is not for you. Only Team Leads and above get regular hours.

Have you talked to HR and told them how you feel? It took me 3 months, alot of crying and coming in on my day off to get 25 hours. Then I proved my worthiness and got way more hours.

Here’s a grand idea, stick it out and apply for a team lead position online or an ETL position right now. I suggest ETL Logistics specifically because there are openings.
Yeah honestly why wasn't this your move from the get-go? Target hires grads into ETL positions all the time. $12/hr vs $25+/hr?

Tbh our etls always lie in interviews promising a solid 40hrs just to get the hire. Almost every single moob I have trained had whined about the same thing. Your training hours are solid because its training. The first couple weeks will be low while they figure out how to fit you are the perms. Tbh unless you stand out and run circles around a current tm to push them out your schwdule will only see close to 40 around the holidays. After that they plumet until like June. Welcome to retail -_-

I'm a college grad and get roughly 12-29 hours a week depending on what is happening at my store that week. When I got hired, I was interviewed by my supervisor and then by her boss and told them both my retail experience. I apparently have been cross-trained because I will be scheduled in hardlines, truck or even the backroom and I love it. What I learned is that if I show how valuable I am by my work ethic and my willingness to learn, I will get more hours. Keep working hard and showing what you are made of and what you can do until after Christmas and if nothing improves by then, move on to something else you are more suitable for.

Yeah honestly why wasn't this your move from the get-go? Target hires grads into ETL positions all the time. $12/hr vs $25+/hr?

I’m not really familiar with retail and wanted to see the inner workings before jumping straight into an ETL position, there also isn’t any openings in my state so I was hoping to wait till something popped up.

Potential is high to get up near is way too many words to explain "you can have 40hrs". Liars talk lots so they can twist the words later..."i know you think you heard" and "what i probably said was"

Welcome to retail. It's a steep learning curve til you stop trusting people.

Seconding that you should apply for ETL, and take what you've learned and apply it when you go to write the schedule for your team. You're about to hit "submit" on that schedule with those 5.5 hour weeks, but then you stop yourself and say, "Man, I remember how bad that sucked, I'm not gonna be that guy" and then you quickly go back and fill everyone's week out to 40. Then all the other ETLs will envy the sky high morale of your team and travel far and wide in the hope that you'll reveal your secrets, and you get to whisper, "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you."

HR lied, and you have every reason to be disappointed.

It was wrong. It was bad management practise. There's no excuse.

HR in the field often is not well versed in how to hire and retain good employees. My guess is that they will be phased out soon.

I have no doubt whoever interviewed and offered the position promised near 40 hours. If the OP was a good interview, they will say anything to get them on board. They probably thought this person would be a potential TL, easily promotable. There is a point during hiring season where if someone is breathing, they are hired. They probably were drooling at this applicant. 5.5 hours just plain sucks. It also sucks for the people who are already working at Spot and have their hours slashed right now to make room for new hires. Welcome to the reality of retail.

It also sucks for the people who are already working at Spot and have their hours slashed right now to make room for new hires. Welcome to the reality of retail.

This is what destroys morale and kills productivity. Veteran TMs who bust their butts and put their heart and souls into their work, only to have their hours cut and see those hours going to new hires. The new hires in turn get screwed over with starvation hours. There is no loyalty in retail.😒

I have no doubt whoever interviewed and offered the position promised near 40 hours. If the OP was a good interview, they will say anything to get them on board. They probably thought this person would be a potential TL, easily promotable. There is a point during hiring season where if someone is breathing, they are hired. They probably were drooling at this applicant. 5.5 hours just plain sucks. It also sucks for the people who are already working at Spot and have their hours slashed right now to make room for new hires. Welcome to the reality of retail.

My ETL was pretty upfront about hours during the interview. I was told they couldn't always get everyone 40 hours and asked what the minimum number of hours I would accept was. Of course, they haven't actually kept to that minimum, but I haven't been getting only 5.5 hours either. That's okay. I want to work, but I don't want to make it so other people can't pay their bills, especially since the regular TMs on day crew have been great to me (closing crew is insufferable). They actually asked that I be scheduled more to help with push/pull.

Wish I had a nickle for everytime I heard hr promised hours at hiring. That's just how it's done with new hires. At least at my store. My observation is if you are given 5 hours for a week they really don't care if the door hits your a$$ on your way out. Cold hard truth.

I’m contemplating on giving my two weeks notice. I really tried to stick it out and see if my hours increased, but so far I’m still stuck with the 5 1/2 this upcoming week and 8 the week after. I like the organization, I just can’t survive on those type of hours.

The big thing I was wondering about if they would terminate me as a seasonal employee if I just put in my two weeks?

Your degree won’t get you anywhere at Target unless you get your job through a recruiter. Starting as a TM, you’re exactly on the same level as any of the rest of us employees without degrees. A degree starts to ‘help’ at ETL and above, but if you aren’t hired at that level, it’s the same grind to reach that point as any internal promotion. In fact, being promoted from within is the main path for TMs and TLs without degrees to reach ETL and STL.

You want to make use of that degree at Target? Resign, wait the required amount of time, then talk to a recruiter or apply for an ETL position. You’ll save a TON of time and effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back