Archived Promotion to GSTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except the huge difference in pay. (3 dollars minimum)

Gstls can coach and write team members up. GSAs cannot.

The actual day to day duties are the exact same. You're right about that.
Yes, that’s the difference. I knew I was forgetting something, lol.

If you are still in high school, even if you are 18, you are considered a minor. Once you graduate high school then your status as a "minor" changes.....and so does hours that you are permitted to work.
I think that the only other restriction that you might have will have to do with alcohol sales......not sure if the position overrides the law regarding age for being able to do alcohol sales.

My store wouldn't give you GSTL if you don't have open availability. Like others have said aim for GSA. GSAs are very similar in what they do day to day. The difference is in the back end and responsibility. GSTLs have to work with HR to manage team members and they're also responsible for what the GSAs do.

Aim for GSA and finish school. Then open your availability and aim for GSTL. The usual path is as follows to get the best chance to become GSTL: Cashier -> Guest Service team member -> GSA -> GSTL.

The best GSTLs usually came from guest service. Knowing guest service and how to think through guest issues is a major asset. What got me noticed and promoted was my guest service skills and that team looked to me as a leader. It was then a no brainier to promote me as my old ETL would say. So yeah aim for GSA and become very skilled at the guest service area.

If you are still in high school, even if you are 18, you are considered a minor. Once you graduate high school then your status as a "minor" changes.....and so does hours that you are permitted to work.
I think that the only other restriction that you might have will have to do with alcohol sales......not sure if the position overrides the law regarding age for being able to do alcohol sales.

Not necessarily we have a high schoolers doing online classes with open availability and when you're 18 you can work whenever you want (So as it fits your schedule)

Conversely we had a tm who is 17 but had already graduated high school. He has the same restrictions as far as he couldn't stay past 9:45 pm and couldn't open before 7.

I had a 19 year old GSA who could not ring alcohol, as you have to be 21 in my municipality (I recently discovered that a neighboring town only requires 19 for sales....) It was ever so much fun closing with her when I was the only adult cashier....

You're thinking of etl. Team lead positions they don't even ask if you have a degree.
Probably true, although the AP-ETL has no college at all at my store.
All of the GSTL’s except one at my store have college.
Market TL, SBX TL and hardlines TL definitely no college at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back