Pronoun Name Badges

Status
Not open for further replies.
My
HR can request badges with additional text. Especially for TMs with extra skills or quick blurbs about the TM.

Seen them with Trainer, 10+ Years, Hearing Impaired, In A Wheelchair But Able to Help, CAN I HELP YOU FIND SOMETHING, HERE TO HELP YOU, Espanol, Signing Knowledgeable
My store is big on having trainer on the name tags and a few TMs have hablo Espanol on them. I haven't seen anything else on them.

OK - I want my pronoun to be MasterBlaster!

Alas...

but Target overall has been good to me

XVQl5yP.gif

My store has a few deaf TMs. Guests don’t pay attention to the name tag until another TM says “they aren’t talking back because they’re deaf”. I have so many stories. They’re my favorite individuals.
I wish our TMs who are deaf had something on their name badge. They are usually really focused on their tasks so they don't get stopped much. One ended up being stopped by a guest, had the guest write what they needed and told them to wait, then the deaf tm went to find a hearing tm.

Does that say "Dog Stew?"

The answer to your not funny and kind of racist question is in the post.

If you don't believe it here is the link to Google translate.

google translate - Google Search - https://www.google.com/search?q=google+translate&oq=google+translate&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.12105j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Try it yourself.

I was impressed that they managed to get one with this:

我说普通话

(I speak Mandarin)

My store has a few deaf TMs. Guests don’t pay attention to the name tag until another TM says “they aren’t talking back because they’re deaf”. I have so many stories. They’re my favorite individuals.

Oh, right, yes, I forgot, we actually have two "I Sign" TMs.

One is the daughter of her deaf mother, both work at the store.

Oh, right, yes, I forgot, we actually have two "I Sign" TMs.

One is the daughter of her deaf mother, both work at the store.
That makes sense. It's useful information that's actually pertinent to the job that person does. We don't get any deaf guests at my store, but we get many who speak other languages. No one has them listed on their nametag like that, but it's pretty much known by everyone that so-and-so is the person to call if you're dealing with a specific language.

My take on this: it's great for the people who actually want it, but it feels like Target doing the bare minimum to "show that they care". In my opinion, guests don't need to know which pronouns we prefer. They never really need to use them when they have our name. It may help for other TMs.. but really, if a trans individual actually cares about that, they'd have let their coworkers know by now.

All this will accomplish is causing drama. Drama at the announcement, as we've seen in this thread, and drama at the store level when trans individuals are singled out because they're the only ones with these nametags -- if they even decide to ask for them to begin with.

Last edited:
Nice change but I'd rather get misgendered than have people use they/them pronouns for me.

This thread took an interesting turn....

To look like I'm on topic-

"Oh cool pronoun name tags"

I want a badge that says No/Nope/Nada/Don't Even Ask

I can dig the pronouns though for those who want them. I have a couple of TMs that are questionable about what to refer to them as you know. Having it on the name badge so as not to accidentally offend would be useful.

I remember a post here from a user asking if it was okay to wear different name tags depending on what they were identifying as that day.

I remember that topic being asinine to me at the time. Now though, I get it. As far as I'm concerned I'm glad to see Target supporting their team members.

Last edited:
We need it more for the leadership team so they will stop misgendering trans team members.

We need to realize that these changes are empty gestures, and keep us distracted from wanting to ask for more from the company. Example....hours.

We need to realize that these changes are empty gestures, and keep us distracted from wanting to ask for more from the company. Example....hours.
Other people in this thread such as this person
I really love these tbh. I'm closeted at home, but even a simple they/them tag would make me feel way more comfortable at work. 🤷‍♂️
are saying it’s not an empty gesture. Just because it’s not important to you doesn’t mean it wouldn’t help others.

@mistershow talk to HR and get one! Obviously however if you’re not using them at home, someone from home could come in and see the name tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back