Archived Pulling cafs quick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a backroom shift and I was all alone to pull the 7 pm cafs. I didn't complete them til 9 pm and I made the bonehead move to ask for help after they were already late.

I've worked cafs a few times (though always with help except today) and I've always been slow at them. Am I missing something for doing them quicker?

Best way to do CAF pulls is to start on one end of the stockroom and go in a straight line to the other end of the stockroom. You should start on the grocery side because grocery side will pull more then do hardlines and softlines. That way would only work if you worked at a Super Target. If you work at a regular Target, you might want to start on the hardlines side and work your way to the grocery side. Always try to go on a straight path or straight line.

Any cafs with at 3 or 2 at the end of it, are the easier to pull. Usually 1 or 2 items. For ex: toys3, pets2, etc.

It felt like pfresh took the longest (I think I completed pfresh in 1/2 hour), followed by stuff needing the WAVE, and grocery (could be the 30 cans of soup that weren't in a single package I had to pull).

Last edited:
Always do market first. Preferably the coolers since they could take the longest. Since food is usually the highest selling item in the store. Next, do electronics, you don't wanna leave it for last just to fumble around for a key. I would personally do the rest in order starting from one side of the backroom to the other.

Another time saver is having the carts set up in the aisle before the cafs actually drop. Also don't worry about taking finished cafs to the line if they are big.You'll probably save like 15 mins if you wait till they are all done to take to line.

Also, no offensive, but you might just be slow at at doing it. Nothing wrong with take. I can pull the auto fills alone in about 2 1/2 hours in a b+ store so you may ust need to speed.

My store doesn't have 7pm CAFS, so I don't know how they compare to, say 12pm CAFs. But as stated before, have some method to your madness.

Start at one end and work your way down. When I pull, beds/plug go together on a tub, so I pull them together. toy1/2/3, diaper, and luggage all go on one tub. grocery/snack/beverage together on 1-2 carts. I usually save pfresh and bulk for last. (If I pace myself correctly, I'm starting to pull those around half past the hour.) Many of these fill groups are grouped next to each other (or at least in very close proximity).

Just have a system and stick to it. The sales floor appreciates a nicely organized push cart, but don't let that compromise your ability to get the CAFs done in time. Find a happy medium that works for both ends.

I mean, how big are the hourlys? Sometimes it takes more than one and if someone called out, not sure why you weren't given help with it.

I had a backroom shift and I was all alone to pull the 7 pm cafs. I didn't complete them til 9 pm and I made the bonehead move to ask for help after they were already late.

I've worked cafs a few times (though always with help except today) and I've always been slow at them. Am I missing something for doing them quicker?

Are you pretty new to the backroom?
I work at a super and this is what i would do when i was backroom and alone for any CAF hour.

-check the size of the caf
-pull all of grocery first(groc1-3, deli, pro, frzn, dairy, meat)
-pull blue side (softlines, toys, hipa, sport)
-pull electronics
-pull green (at this point I'm on the blue side of the backroom working my way down through green)
-if I'm in the backroom and there's a bulk location in receiving i back out of the batch and get that location once I've moved down into receiving

People act like it's the end of the world if you leave a batch open. Sure you can look at a report and see it shows a 55 minute actual pull time but in reality it took me 30.

How big was the CAF? If it's anything over 1 hour and 30 minutes you should be calling and asking for help. Even > 1 hour and 30 minutes CAFs can be too much if you constantly have the sales floor calling for you and you have to pull Flexibles on top.

How big was the CAF? If it's anything over 1 hour and 30 minutes you should be calling and asking for help. Even > 1 hour and 30 minutes CAFs can be too much if you constantly have the sales floor calling for you and you have to pull Flexibles on top.
It depends on your store size. You may not have any help other than the Lod with pulls.

I know about the CAF monitor, i didn't use it because it does take time to populate and that's time I could spend pulling.

Is there a way to check your pull times from a previous day? I tried to check MyPerformance but I wasn't finding anything.

I know about the CAF monitor, i didn't use it because it does take time to populate and that's time I could spend pulling.

Is there a way to check your pull times from a previous day? I tried to check MyPerformance but I wasn't finding anything.
I haven't seen many new backroom team members who ( on their first try) could meet or beat the caf times. So, I wouldn't beat myself up too much. However, if you are worried about it partner with your backroom tl or a backroom peer and explain to them what happened and ask for their input. This shows that you take doing a good job seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back