Purpose of the eHR LGBT designation

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayDots

Instocks TM
Does anybody know the purpose of the LGBT designation available through eHR? Who gets to see this information, and what would they do with it? Is there any incentive for someone to fill this out?

I looked it up on ehr. When you click it it says that it is useful for target acquiring useful statistical and demographic information and is only accessed by the necessary HR team members.

To be honest this comes full circle with succession planning. I have only seen the paper once and it was definitely not on purpose. It has the full details of your position, your 18 mos date, and evaluations of your performance. It has numeric or alphabetic codes and abbreviations that include things like how diverse you are, something if you are lgbt, young, and promotable. Obviously I paraphrased most of that but its true. I remember seeing a thread on here based on a sharepoint document that sparked a lot of questioning about whether this was real and actually happened. I was skeptical myself but after seeing the list I believe it (too bad the page I had didn't have my name on it because I'm curious).

Obviously, if you aren't a TL or in the pipeline you probably have nothing to worry about. It is most likely used to figure out diversity in staffing in the store. If you are a TL I am sure that depending on your store designating that could likely give you an extra edge in being promoted--Target is always looking for young, hip, stylish, extroverted, and extremely diverse people to put in as ETLs because it makes them look good.

Sorry this turned out so long! :)

Edit: Completely and entirely off topic your avatar is going to make me start having too many feels D: one of the saddest games ever!

That point is very true.

A team member in my area promoted from TM to ETL in 18 months almost solely based on sexual orientation. I had never seen anything like it in my time at Target. This person had little charisma, no leadership skills, a degree from a disreputable college and was pretty awful in every work center they were in, but apparently our district needed to improve diversity so this person was fast tracked to ETL.

Target only cares about rainbows because it makes them look good. I just wonder how the gay community and other minority groups feel about being used as pawns just so a select few won't have to worry about legal trouble instead of caring about the issues and plight of those minority groups.

Target only cares about rainbows because it makes them look good. I just wonder how the gay community and other minority groups feel about being used as pawns just so a select few won't have to worry about legal trouble instead of caring about the issues and plight of those minority groups.
I disagree with you on this. I've been with Target for many years. They have always acknowledged the LGBT community and have been ahead of the times and proactive with regard to equal opportunities. Those that I work with that are part of the LGBT community have always been treated like...wait for it....every other employee. I am not a part of the LGBT community, but many of my friends that are have always noted that Target is a positive influence. Perhaps I don't have the big picture perspective, but that has been my experience. Jack, I am curious as to why you continue to work for a company that you so obviously dislike? ( or do you just enjoy provocative discussion?)

I disagree with you on this. I've been with Target for many years. They have always acknowledged the LGBT community and have been ahead of the times and proactive with regard to equal opportunities. Those that I work with that are part of the LGBT community have always been treated like...wait for it....every other employee. I am not a part of the LGBT community, but many of my friends that are have always noted that Target is a positive influence. Perhaps I don't have the big picture perspective, but that has been my experience. Jack, I am curious as to why you continue to work for a company that you so obviously dislike? ( or do you just enjoy provocative discussion?)
What about Target backing Tom Emmer for Minnesota governor? A very vocal opponent of same sex marriage. They got taken to task on that one.

Secondly, while it's great that they don't discriminate against the LGBT community, turning them into a checkbox that they need to fill a store's diversity quota is equally marginalizing. It makes it the corporate equivalent of "I can't be racist, I've got a black friend". Except here it's "see, we embrace the LGBT community, we've got ummm George here who works at our store and he's gay"

And finally, while I won't speak for Jack, I feel like him and I are in similar positions as far as our attitude toward the company. To begin, I would love to leave Target for somewhere else but jobs don't grow on trees. There isn't a job fairy that comes in the middle of the night and hands you a new job whenever you feel like it. I'm looking to leave Target but while I'm here I'm not going to just sit back and let them trample all over me. There's team members who just sit back and take it but I'm not one of them anymore.

What about Target backing Tom Emmer for Minnesota governor? A very vocal opponent of same sex marriage. They got taken to task on that one.

Secondly, while it's great that they don't discriminate against the LGBT community, turning them into a checkbox that they need to fill a store's diversity quota is equally marginalizing. It makes it the corporate equivalent of "I can't be racist, I've got a black friend". Except here it's "see, we embrace the LGBT community, we've got ummm George here who works at our store and he's gay"

And finally, while I won't speak for Jack, I feel like him and I are in similar positions as far as our attitude toward the company. To begin, I would love to leave Target for somewhere else but jobs don't grow on trees. There isn't a job fairy that comes in the middle of the night and hands you a new job whenever you feel like it. I'm looking to leave Target but while I'm here I'm not going to just sit back and let them trample all over me. There's team members who just sit back and take it but I'm not one of them anymore.
Target did not directly contribute to any gubernatorial candidate. The contributions were through membership in both the Democratic and Republican Governors Associations, both of which include several hundred other corporate members. When paying for memberships, they explicitly require that dues not be used for any individual electoral campaigns or other electioneering efforts. It is inaccurate to associate the membership dues with any particular political candidate or campaign and I'm sure it made for a great headline. I personally don't think they should contribute to political associations at all. The political checkboxes are unfortunate, but as all individuals seek to gain equality there must be some way to measure that it is being done. Eventually, I would hope that these measures would not be necessary, but right now it is probably the only way that a corporation has to monitor those that actually are doing the hiring to try to ensure that those individuals are not pushing their own personal agenda. I'm sorry that you can't find a more appropriate job. I wish you luck with that and hope that you do soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back