Archived Pushing Red Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say 90% of the time they do... What alot of people may not realize is that up until this last year my store was a red focus store! I am fixing as much as I can in my 18 months, hammering out the last bit of smart sort isn't quite priority in comparison to the fact that before I came into role the store had a .75 conversion YTD :p

Sounds like you certainly had your work cut out for you! Give yourself a pat on the back (or a Vibe card :D).

The only reason I asked about Smart Sort is because some GSTLs don't realize how helpful it is for the sales floor team (well, hardlines anyways) when PDAs are few and far between. My store started using it several months ago when we had a whole bunch of visits all at once. Having the worklist made pushing re-shop so much faster, and I wondered why we weren't using it all along. Sadly, our Guest Service team has since gone back to hand-sorting and my GSTL doesn't seem to understand why they really should be scanning everything (printing a worklist, clearance or salvage that would otherwise be missed, items that are supposed to be backstocked or sent to Vendor Pickup, etc.).

Better idea:

Press k8 at every prompt and move on.
Or let the guest know about the awesome 31% APR (or whatever the hell it is now) on the card if they don't pay it off.

The fact is, a significant amount of the US population does not understand the concept of credit and interest rates. Target makes a lot of money off of ignorance. Don't facilitate people going into debt and don't compromise your conscious all so a bunch of morons can get their yearly bonus you will never even see a piece of.

A 5% discount isn't significant at all unless you are spending enough money to the point where you probably wouldn't even care about 5% off anyways.

Sounds like you certainly had your work cut out for you! Give yourself a pat on the back (or a Vibe card :D).

The only reason I asked about Smart Sort is because some GSTLs don't realize how helpful it is for the sales floor team (well, hardlines anyways) when PDAs are few and far between. My store started using it several months ago when we had a whole bunch of visits all at once. Having the worklist made pushing re-shop so much faster, and I wondered why we weren't using it all along. Sadly, our Guest Service team has since gone back to hand-sorting and my GSTL doesn't seem to understand why they really should be scanning everything (printing a worklist, clearance or salvage that would otherwise be missed, items that are supposed to be backstocked or sent to Vendor Pickup, etc.).

Omg. Long story short, I am one of about two who use smart short religiously at GS, even if it takes me longer. But then I get grumped at by TMs who don't have a full list because they were told by their TL to get after us, only I wasn't the person to put half the stuff in the bin when it came in! Heck, I told that to a GSA who was covering my break, and he just shrugged his shoulders at me and started tossing things in bins without smart sorting it.

I'm the newbie back there, so it isn't my place to be setting policy or getting on people for it, but sheesh! I don't want flack for what others refuse to do.

And don't get me started on other TMs (usually cashiers, but not always) who decide they are just going to toss their strays in either a random cart I have finished or whatever one matches up.

I think I read somewhere that fewer than 10% of the purchases made at Target are made with a Red Card and that the Red Card users spend 3x more than the guest who uses another form of payment. So it makes sense that Target pushes the Red Card. And it's a part of your job. The chance of getting a Red Card is practically nil if you don't ask. So just ask.

I think we sit at about 1 out of 6 transactions are paid for with a REDcard. Our ETL-GE told me that he really wants us at closer to 23% where the closest Spot to us is at.

It frustrates me when tms put stuff in the market cart that doesn't go. For example, Halloween candy and candy for one spot. It's like they just see candy and toss it in grocery. Then every once in awhile I get something for some other part of the store that is in no way, shape, or form in market.:angry:

Yeah, it's obvious that the GS people who have been there for years don't have a clue in some cases....if they did, then there is no way that some of that stuff would end up in the bin that it does. Of course, you have no idea how much nail polish we have tied to the market bin....

Better idea:

Quick way to get your GSTL on your case :lol: PDA will never stop beeping.

But I also wouldn't generalize people as irresponsible spenders. Building credit is good, especially for a frequent shopper that can improve their utilization ratio. Paying 95% instead of 100% is also one of the better CC benefits you can find. Some cards only give like 1/2% cash back and sometimes have an awful annual fee.

Better idea:

Or let the guest know about the awesome 31% APR (or whatever the hell it is now) on the card if they don't pay it off.

The fact is, a significant amount of the US population does not understand the concept of credit and interest rates. Target makes a lot of money off of ignorance. Don't facilitate people going into debt and don't compromise your conscious all so a bunch of morons can get their yearly bonus you will never even see a piece of.

A 5% discount isn't significant at all unless you are spending enough money to the point where you probably wouldn't even care about 5% off anyways.

I am confused... why are we talking about pushing the credit card so much? I don't even mention the credit card in a normal day! I only mention the debit version and get six times as many redcards as I need to be green :)

I am confused... why are we talking about pushing the credit card so much? I don't even mention the credit card in a normal day! I only mention the debit version and get six times as many redcards as I need to be green :)

I ask, "Are you interested in saving 5% today?" Then they ask, "How?" And I say, "Well do you have a blank check..." and the convo ends right there. "No thanks," is usually the response and I respect that. We do have one TM, however, that continues to rag on (and harass) the guest long after (s)he has said "no." If they say no, imo, it ends there! But he's the one who racks up basically all the RED cards the store gets in a day so... it works for him. He's one of those greasy used cars salesman kind of guys, so convincing people to do stuff probably is instinctual to him. LOL

Had a big dust-up in our store yesterday: there's a cashier who's notorious for getting redcards by getting folks to sign up when they don't have their cards with them. The guests think they're getting a look-up but he has them open a new acct by gambling on the fact that not carrying their card means they haven't used it in a while (possibly closed).
A couple came through his line & he made the pitch. They said they hadn't used their card in months & didn't have it with them. He said "No prob", swiped the wife's license & started the sign-up. The "prob" was that they were in the process of refinancing their home &, when husband realized what happened, he began yelling at the wife (who started crying when she realized it WASN'T a look-up) & then began yelling at the cashier. They had a GSTL & 3 ETLs over there trying to calm them. I felt horrible for them but it's gonna be hard for the ETLs since this guy was a real hustler but his methods are coming back to haunt them.

I cannot stand the underhandedness, and pushing some TMs do. I ask once. If they seem interested, I extend the conversation further. If they say they have one, I let it drop.

Also, I hate when people ask me if I could just look it up. Seriously? Would you really want a store to give TMs that easy of access to your credit/debit card information?

Had a big dust-up in our store yesterday: there's a cashier who's notorious for getting redcards by getting folks to sign up when they don't have their cards with them. The guests think they're getting a look-up but he has them open a new acct by gambling on the fact that not carrying their card means they haven't used it in a while (possibly closed).
A couple came through his line & he made the pitch. They said they hadn't used their card in months & didn't have it with them. He said "No prob", swiped the wife's license & started the sign-up. The "prob" was that they were in the process of refinancing their home &, when husband realized what happened, he began yelling at the wife (who started crying when she realized it WASN'T a look-up) & then began yelling at the cashier. They had a GSTL & 3 ETLs over there trying to calm them. I felt horrible for them but it's gonna be hard for the ETLs since this guy was a real hustler but his methods are coming back to haunt them.

Those sleazy tactics should be stuff they coach for, along with lying about the benefits.

A pestering TM who is aggressive about driving RedCards can be annoying for guests, but at the end of the trip, if they know they don't want a card and aren't lied to about it, they're not going to sign up for it.

I ask, "Are you interested in saving 5% today?" Then they ask, "How?" And I say, "Well do you have a blank check..."

If someone asked me if I had a blank check, I would probably decline the offer just because I have no idea what your doing with it.

Most Guests have heard mutiple news headlines of Identity Theft, and worry constantly about it happening to them.

A better way to say it would be, "We have a Target Check card that works with your checking account to give you 5% off. "

Before this economy was bad, I would normally get 2-4 Redcards a day (working full time) and once got 7..

Yep I am all for smart sort! I am the most best practice TL you will find :) The issue is that some of the other areas and their leaders haven't quite gotten up to speed like my area has (lets face it, we are G-Easy so its a bit easier to fix than a major salesfloor or logistics operational opp)... So while I could spend some more time with smart sort (the setup is there and we could jump on best practice completely with a few coachings) the support from the salesfloor leaders isn't there yet... and then it just becomes a fight because the service desk will ask why we are using smart sort for EVERYTHING when the salesfloor doesn't even use it :p

Or the ETLs want it used, some will use it, some won't and the sftms feel they can get on the ones who do use it when their lists aren't right. One GSA told me to cover that problem was to go through and rescan everything into smart sort before closing out the bin. Who in the hell has time for that? Seriously, let's just do it right to start with!

I cannot stand the underhandedness, and pushing some TMs do. I ask once. If they seem interested, I extend the conversation further. If they say they have one, I let it drop.

Also, I hate when people ask me if I could just look it up. Seriously? Would you really want a store to give TMs that easy of access to your credit/debit card information?

I had a gstl once say that when people said they had one they probably didn't. I thought so am I supposed to call them liars and keep pushing. I also will not even go there if they are on their cell. I am not competing with that.

I had a gstl once say that when people said they had one they probably didn't. I thought so am I supposed to call them liars and keep pushing. I also will not even go there if they are on their cell. I am not competing with that.

I know some do have REDcards, I see them in the wallets....or they are so over balance, it's frightening (see that at GS). So I don't call them out on it, and there's no point in calling people liars. And if they don't speak English, I'm not translating through the kid, and if they are on their cell, then they aren't paying enough attention to finish their debit card transaction, much less be sold on another piece of plastic.

I know some do have REDcards, I see them in the wallets....or they are so over balance, it's frightening (see that at GS). So I don't call them out on it, and there's no point in calling people liars. And if they don't speak English, I'm not translating through the kid, and if they are on their cell, then they aren't paying enough attention to finish their debit card transaction, much less be sold on another piece of plastic.

The same gstl who maid the comment about people not having red cards when they said they did also said that secret shoppers used the cell phone thing. I always figured if someone is having a highly personal conversation on their cell I'm pretty positive that they aren't a secret shopper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back