Archived Question for closing leads

Status
Not open for further replies.

busyzoningtoys

Finally almost getting paid enough.
I have my eye on this position and have been talking a lot about it with my STL who has been helping me prepare for it, and with the things he said a couple weeks ago about it rolling out in the near future lining up with the chatter around here about modernization being pushed to everyone soon, I have good reason to believe I’m a contender for the spot and he’s not just blowing smoke (also it helps that I’m the only leader in the store without a wife and kids who lives close and is interested in doing it). My question is, how does the pay compare to before? If you were a Senior before taking it, did you get a raise? If you were not, what was the pay increase? From what I’ve been made to understand, this is the new role to get noticed for and develop for ETL.

Also, do you guys still get a TL/TLOD with you at night?

I have my eye on this position and have been talking a lot about it with my STL who has been helping me prepare for it, and with the things he said a couple weeks ago about it rolling out in the near future lining up with the chatter around here about modernization being pushed to everyone soon, I have good reason to believe I’m a contender for the spot and he’s not just blowing smoke (also it helps that I’m the only leader in the store without a wife and kids who lives close and is interested in doing it). My question is, how does the pay compare to before? If you were a Senior before taking it, did you get a raise? If you were not, what was the pay increase? From what I’ve been made to understand, this is the new role to get noticed for and develop for ETL.

Also, do you guys still get a TL/TLOD with you at night?

I mean of course there will be a TL at night.. the GSTL (unless your store is very strict on the whole having GSTLs only serve as a mid, which most haven’t followed from what I’ve seen).

One of my fellow TLs told me they got about a $5 something raise when they became a closing lead.

I mean of course there will be a TL at night.. the GSTL (unless your store is very strict on the whole having GSTLs only serve as a mid, which most haven’t followed from what I’ve seen).

One of my fellow TLs told me they got about a $5 something raise when they became a closing lead.
More often than not our front-end closer is a GSA lol.

What was their role before? Senior?

The position is amazing. I love it, it works out perfectly for me. I love closing, I hate working early and working mids they're soul crushing to me. It is good development to become an ETL but I feel like every TL position is. You're just running the night team though which and all but specifically I don't see it being any different than any other role. They all play their parts, you're just generally more in control since you're the only leader at night. I've set precedents with my night team and they know what's expected and they know what to do without me even having to tell them. The other TL's in the store love it too bc now they pretty much know they don't have to close anymore. No one in my store wants to close every night except for me. If you have any questions you can Pm me.

The pay though... it all depends on your store, your current position and a multitude of other things. If your store is already cap'd out on seniors you can probably expect not to become a senior unless they know they're getting rid of one.

I was an electronics TM before the promotion & got a $7 dollar raise. $6 was the base raise but I experience pay for unofficially being in a TL role.

Also in February we’re moving to have all Leaders do Mids so there’s someone there to at least cover my meal period.

The coverage will be 100% up to your STL. You should always have a Leader that works a mid who could cover your lunch break. Other than that, just a Service & Engagement Lead to close with you.

The pay is normal Senior pay but I think it's very negotiable. If ur already up there then only expect a $1.50 bump or so but if you are at the bottom of the scale then ask for $19 minimum (that's me assuming your leads start at $16.50 and Seniors at $17.50).

Or SEA/GSA. My store's GSTLs work mids now and rarely close. I believe that each of then has only 1 closing shift each week.
Is this mandatory for them or could they, in theory, choose to close rather than be mids?

Is this mandatory for them or could they, in theory, choose to close rather than be mids?
My understanding is that they didn't have a choice about working mids. One preferred to open and the other close, so neither was happy about the changes.

Literally why, it’s gonna be you by yourself running a busy ass store on a Saturday night. STL work for TL pay. Big nope unless I’m getting the STL pay.

(Good luck tho)

My advice to LOD phone calls during your lunches... either use a trusted TM from the sales floor to take msgs, or have the GSA or GSTL answer them? Part of your job as a leader is to develop talent. I know it's just a phone call but giving a TM 30 minutes of responsibility outside the norm could be inspiring/empowering to them.

Literally why, it’s gonna be you by yourself running a busy ass store on a Saturday night. STL work for TL pay. Big nope unless I’m getting the STL pay.

(Good luck tho)

It's really not that bad, and we don't work weekends. STL work... hardly... you're an LOD you're not doing anything crazy. You literally follow up with the team to ensure their tasks / truck is getting completed and then following up with reshop to ensure it's clear for the night. No weekends.

My advice to LOD phone calls during your lunches... either use a trusted TM from the sales floor to take msgs, or have the GSA or GSTL answer them? Part of your job as a leader is to develop talent. I know it's just a phone call but giving a TM 30 minutes of responsibility outside the norm could be inspiring/empowering to them.
This. Find someone who will be eager and excited to be your helper, and they’ll feel better about the work they do, you’ll have an easier time, and you have someone to develop, and they might end up moving up!

When I had to take my lunch I would have the GSTL or Sales Floor TLs take calls. It’s not that bad unless you don’t have strong leaders. Most of the time LOD calls are to ask what you want them to do for the day/them telling you they’re taking their break or lunch, or a question. All those can be taken by TLs.

When I had to take my lunch I would have the GSTL or Sales Floor TLs take calls. It’s not that bad unless you don’t have strong leaders. Most of the time LOD calls are to ask what you want them to do for the day/them telling you they’re taking their break or lunch, or a question. All those can be taken by TLs.

My CTL doesn't trust anyone but the APTL.

Pay wise I'm sure I could've negotiated, but I'm making close to base for a sr. TL.

I dont have another TL with me at night (this really sucked during Q4), but my store does have an ETL scheduled to cover my lunch every day. That said, they take calls for me, but half the time they call me anyways to ask what to have TMs do next.

I was a SrTL and got no bump. We are a 65mil store and we have 2 Closing Leads. M-F, no weekends unless you can/want to get OT. We have Leads close with us 4 out of the 5 nights up until 10pm. Leaders in the building up until 8p or 9m. We have a closing front end person until midnight as well. It is by far the best position in the roll out if you don't mind closing &/or if you are looking to get promoted. We were a pilot store and have been in role for almost a year now. I have zero regrets about taking this position.

Why have a closing lead Monday-Friday if Leaders are there til 8pmish? They should all work early then. Seems like a waste.

Why have a closing lead Monday-Friday if Leaders are there til 8pmish? They should all work early then. Seems like a waste.

They have a fellow lead there working a mid to cover the other leaders lunch. It's not a waste... by far I would say the best thing about this is having more leaders at the store during the day. Allowing for more productivity and more follow up with their team members. This position has created way more communication between night and dayside teams.

Seen this at two stores. Maybe ONE night of the five, a GSTL was closing because both stores were fairly strict about the mid stipulation. Other than that, no TLs/Leads. (Usually, if a GSTL was closing, it was because, as per, the stores were low on GSAs.)

Random thought....I was promoted from GSA to Closing Team Lead, was told that it's not a Sr TL, but there's a pay "incentive" for being a key carrier, so I'm starting at 17.75 vs 16/hour. I start training this coming Monday.
I got my review last week, and of course my raise was calculated using my GSA pay rate of 12/hour, which yes technically that's what I was (well not really since gsa is no more), but I feel a little jipped on my raise percentage going into this new position.
Other thought/observation....on the newest schedule, it says Sr TL LOD...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back