Archived Quitting ALREADY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay here's the thing. I've been working at target for less than 2 weeks and I'm already quitting.
I had an anxiety attack at work and I just CANNOT go back. Those of you who have experience with anxiety will understand- those of you who don't have experience probably won't understand, so don't judge. But here are my questions:
Will they send me my paycheck in the mail?
Will I still be able to access my W-2 online when the time comes?

I feel bad for doing this, but retail is just not for me... and I'm not putting myself through the constant anxiety to work at Target. I just hated it and that's that. I've made up my mind so there's no changing it.

You have to do what is right for you. So no one should judge you and if they do just try to ignore them. I suffer from anxiety as well so I can relate. They will mail your last check to you or you can pick it up. If you don't want to go in the store...you will just have to wait longer for them to mail it etc. I am not sure about the w-2 question. Good luck with things !

You have to do what is right for you. So no one should judge you and if they do just try to ignore them. I suffer from anxiety as well so I can relate. They will mail your last check to you or you can pick it up. If you don't want to go in the store...you will just have to wait longer for them to mail it etc. I am not sure about the w-2 question. Good luck with things !
Thank you so much! I'm glad you understand.. It is hard to find people who do!

So sorry to hear you've had that experience. I too battle anxiety and it actually cost me my first job. Might I suggest working overnights at Target? If you've already made up your mind, I get it and I wish you all the best with what you choose, just thought I'd let you know that I work overnights and it helps so much. No pressure, don't have to deal with rude people, you can work on your own and zone out in your music etc. Just a suggestion. I hope you feel better!! :)

Okay here's the thing. I've been working at target for less than 2 weeks and I'm already quitting.
I had an anxiety attack at work and I just CANNOT go back. Those of you who have experience with anxiety will understand- those of you who don't have experience probably won't understand, so don't judge. But here are my questions:
Will they send me my paycheck in the mail?
Will I still be able to access my W-2 online when the time comes?
I understand ! I suffer from sever anxiety and i have had 2 attacks at work. It is terrifying to go back after one.
You are doing the right thing for yourself. I wish you well. It took a lot of courage to try retail. I am sure you will find a job that is right for you where you will feel good about going in. Best to you, keep trying.

You should be able to still access your w-2 online after you no longer work for the company. I was able to during the time I wasn't employed by Target

Thank you so much! I'm glad you understand.. It is hard to find people who do!
What will you do for a job now? I'm not trying to make you stay but I've seen a few anxiety quit threads and I wonder how you can hold a job if you cant (understandably) do retail.

Its okay. Trust me, a lot of us here understand, myself included. Ive learned to fake it and apparantly it works okay, but there are plenty of days where i cant even do that and I cave to anxiety. You will find something you can deal with. You could maybe try a call center. You wont have to interact with people face to face, just over the phone. You could also try for a secretary or data entry job...some type of clerical work. There will be something out there for you. Also, if retail jobs seem to be your only option at the moment, there are positions within retail that dont require much social interaction. You could get a backroom or overnight stocking position somewhere.

If your anxiety continues keeps you from being able to keep a job, i would highly suggest seeing a doctor. Dont be ashamed of it, many more people suffer from it than you realize and its more normal than you think. You deserve a high quality of life. Those of us who suffer with things like that just have to work a little harder than the rest to obtain it, but I think we are all so much stronger for it.

One last thing - check out this thread Anyone here deal with mental illness? | The Break Room
My relationship with The Break Room started right there.

Word.

I was a tree surgeon for over thirty years...

Now, I serve popcorn and make diapers go away.

As someone who hasn't had any anxiety or stress related to retail (outside of some Logistics-related stress), what was it that gave you an anxiety attack or what gives you anxiety? I've worked with a few people that seemed to have some anxiety at work and I'm sure I'll work with more. It would be nice to know what situations cause it.

As someone who hasn't had any anxiety or stress related to retail (outside of some Logistics-related stress), what was it that gave you an anxiety attack or what gives you anxiety? I've worked with a few people that seemed to have some anxiety at work and I'm sure I'll work with more. It would be nice to know what situations cause it.

It's just how some people are wired. We cant help it any more than anybody can help any kind of disorder or disease. It can be brought on by childhood trauma or something of the likes, but many people who never had a bad childhood suffer from it. People are just wired like that.

It might be hard to understand for somebody who doesnt have it. We dont get it either, but it is there.

It really depends on the person as to what triggers an anxiety attack. I used to have bad anxiety attacks just dialing my voicemail. As stupid as that sounds, it happened, and for me i know why that was so although i wont get into it (unless you want me to). But a lot of other things that cause me anxiety i dont really get. For example, whem im short on sleep my social anxiety is through the roof. I cant interact with anyone, theres not even any faking it. Triggers vary from person to person, but the best thing you can do is be supportive. You dont have to understand it, but be supportive and realize that as much as you may not understand it, people with anxiety dont understand it either.

What will you do for a job now? I'm not trying to make you stay but I've seen a few anxiety quit threads and I wonder how you can hold a job if you cant (understandably) do retail.
I have always loved working with kids and have worked as a nanny in the past, so I am hoping to find another nanny job or a job at a daycare. I am also a student at a university. I want to be a teacher someday and have some experience in teaching larger groups. I seem to excel at that and it doesn't trigger my anxiety like Target has.

Last edited:
It's just how some people are wired. We cant help it any more than anybody can help any kind of disorder or disease. It can be brought on by childhood trauma or something of the likes, but many people who never had a bad childhood suffer from it. People are just wired like that.

It might be hard to understand for somebody who doesnt have it. We dont get it either, but it is there.

It really depends on the person as to what triggers an anxiety attack. I used to have bad anxiety attacks just dialing my voicemail. As stupid as that sounds, it happened, and for me i know why that was so although i wont get into it (unless you want me to). But a lot of other things that cause me anxiety i dont really get. For example, whem im short on sleep my social anxiety is through the roof. I cant interact with anyone, theres not even any faking it. Triggers vary from person to person, but the best thing you can do is be supportive. You dont have to understand it, but be supportive and realize that as much as you may not understand it, people with anxiety dont understand it either.
It really is hard to understand psychological things like that you've never experienced -- at least for me. I just want to tell people to 'stop it' and 'get over it', but I know it's not that easy.

Nobody will ever stop or get over it. It's okay that you don't understand, but make sure you realize it's not something anybody can help. The biggest thing you can do for them is be supportive and recognize that they have that issue. The more you can do that, the more at ease you put the anxiety sufferer. And when we know people are behind us, the less anxiety we have.

Honestly, what you're doing by asking questions and trying to understand is great. I like that. Not a lot of people take the time to do that. If you have any other questions about it, go ahead and shoot.

I have always loved working with kids and have worked as a nanny in the past, so I am hoping to find another nanny job or a job at a daycare. I am also a student at a university. I want to be a teacher someday and have some experience in teaching larger groups. I seem to excel at that and it doesn't trigger my anxiety like Target has.

Not to be a downer but as both the husband to and father of teachers, I can tell you that if you are stress prone it's not a great job to go into.
It's not the kids so much, though if you work in an urban district like my wife did the chance that one might stab you is a possibility, but the parents and administration that can be amazingly stressful.
They don't really teach you about it in school but the amount of crap they pile on teachers borders on mind boggling.
Even worse you have has been presidential candidates (say hi Chris Christie) trying to make their bones by attacking the only thing that protects teachers, their union.

But you might be one of those people who can handle that kind of stress just fine but can't handle being jammed onto a cash register.
I know my wife always said that she could never work retail without having to kill someone.

Last edited:
Not to be a downer but as both the husband to and father of teachers, I can tell you that if you are stress prone it's not a great job to go into.
It's not the kids so much, though if you work in an urban district like my wife did the chance that one might stab you is a possibility, but the parents and administration that can be amazingly stressful.
They don't really teach you about it in school but the amount of crap the pile on teachers borders on mind boggling.

But you might be one of those people who can handle that kind of stress just fine but can't handle being jammed onto a cash register.
I know my wife always said that she could never work retail without having to kill someone.
Yuuuup. The politics of many educational systems makes Target look fair and well adjusted. My wife isn't easily shaken, but she's brought to tears of rage at least a few times a year because of her peers and administration. As someone who can't shut up and let hypocrisy and injustice be, I would have washed out / been fired in my first couple years of teaching had I followed that path.

I suffer from ulcers and I have really bad OCD ( always OCDing over work) so I can relate. Work can be brutal sometimes I have my good days and I have my not so good days but I just keep my chin up. I hope things work out for you:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back