Archived Quitting Due to Modernization

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been w Target for 10 years on and off since 2002 and am the fastest our store has (had) on flow. Until January I've been consistently getting 30-35 hours, maybe 28 come January. This year it dropped down to one day, 4 hours a week. Others on the team who consistently got 40 were dropped down to 12-16. All of us on inbound have been at this store for years. When asking for more hours their response is that we aren't getting more and what we're scheduled is now is what we should expect from here on out.
Sorry if this is kind of personal to ask, but by on and off, do you mean that you've worked for Target, left for a new job (or took some kind of leave), and then came back? If so, how many times have you done that? The reason I ask is because like other posters in this thread, I've become frustrated with the lack of hours Target gives and the ridiculous expectations they have. I already left Target once for a new job that didn't work out, I don't think it would be a great idea to leave again and come back to Spot if another job doesn't work out.

Sorry if this is kind of personal to ask, but by on and off, do you mean that you've worked for Target, left for a new job (or took some kind of leave), and then came back? If so, how many times have you done that? The reason I ask is because like other posters in this thread, I've become frustrated with the lack of hours Target gives and the ridiculous expectations they have. I already left Target once for a new job that didn't work out, I don't think it would be a great idea to leave again and come back to Spot if another job doesn't work out.

More then twice. As long as you're marked as re-hireable there's no real limit to how many times you can come back. I left due to once in a lifetime opportunities, never any issue w Target. Each year hours were reduced for a month or two but only by about a shift. This past year though hours went from 28-32 down to 4 until April. It's crazy how they cut back. Hoping w Modernization hours for regular TMs will be consistent year round, w seasonal help getting let go in January instead of hours for all reduced.

Yeah back in '08 during the Great Bush Depression I was getting 40 hours a week at Walmart as an electronics associate and there was a chick there who got laid off from her real job and got hired at Walmart for considerably less bread. Her real job laid her off and then called her back literally 4 times during 2008-2010, so it got to be a kind of running joke lol. The last time she said she was quitting Walmart for good and getting a promotion at her real job that came with total immunity to layoffs, but I had to say "Seeya next time" anyway

This is a tangent I know but I ran into her shopping one day after I quit Walmart and asked her how the new corner office was working out. She said it turned out to be a double edged sword because it was effectively a 150% raise but at the same time she became the one laying off others, which made her die a little inside every day while getting ready for work

I really wouldn't want to do this whole Target surfing thing. Rather just do an LOA or something instead. You may be rehireable but I doubt they will rehire you. Maybe at another Target store not the one you quit from.

I really wouldn't want to do this whole Target surfing thing. Rather just do an LOA or something instead. You may be rehireable but I doubt they will rehire you. Maybe at another Target store not the one you quit from.
I’ve taken people back; if they’re good, and they leave because target is being shitty, I understand and can relate.

I’ve taken people back; if they’re good, and they leave because target is being shitty, I understand and can relate.
Good. At least you are one of the few human TLs left around here. My store just became extremely shitty beyond what it's ever been. And the TLs at my store just don't care or understand. Basically the biggest butt kissers of all time. The one that was still a human TL quit a few weeks ago so now all that's left is the butt kissers and all the power went to their head types. If one can't articulate correctly, then one shouldn't even be a TL!

This is definitely an ASSNTS thing. Our entire inbound team is told to punch out right at 4 hours. A day last week we came in only to find hardly any of the pp2 push was stocked. We spent 2.5 hours pushing it. We we're sent home even before the truck was finished and told that they would have dayside push it. I'm not sure where hours are going in my store. Definitely not to flow and there's always push left over from the previous day, so I don't think they are that staffed either. I'd be happy to even get consistent 6 hour shifts.
Flow? There is no more flow team?

I agree, I'm probably not quitting until I am 100% sure that I have another job lined up that I am confident in long-term. I'm just so lost with the job-hunting process that I do think it is safer for now to suck it up and stay at Spot, as much as it's starting to wear on me. Another concern I have is that for the year and a half that I've worked here, I've always had open availability and been extremely willing to come in or extend when the need came up. I just hope that no one in my store's leadership questions me if I start requesting time off for networking events/meetings or job fairs for a potential job search.
I definitely understand Target's side where they wouldn't want team members who leave for "greener pastures" to come back, unless they were exceptional in their work. It's just that the modernization process of cutting hours has really started to frustrate me, although I know that probably applies to every team member posting here.

I agree, I'm probably not quitting until I am 100% sure that I have another job lined up that I am confident in long-term. I'm just so lost with the job-hunting process that I do think it is safer for now to suck it up and stay at Spot, as much as it's starting to wear on me. Another concern I have is that for the year and a half that I've worked here, I've always had open availability and been extremely willing to come in or extend when the need came up. I just hope that no one in my store's leadership questions me if I start requesting time off for networking events/meetings or job fairs for a potential job search.
I definitely understand Target's side where they wouldn't want team members who leave for "greener pastures" to come back, unless they were exceptional in their work. It's just that the modernization process of cutting hours has really started to frustrate me, although I know that probably applies to every team member posting here.

What's frustrating is that there is no transparency or honesty. "Of course there are the same amount of hours in the bucket" is what I was told. Really? I wonder what's it like to lie straight to someone's face concerning their living?

Someone who I work w has a husband who works at a store which also houses our districts offices. She said that the word there is that modernization was designed to be secretive in part to preventing a mass walk out of team members and leaders (upset w the changes.) They are supposed to be keeping people in the dark and having 'confidential' one on ones w team members to an effort to prevent this. Has anyone else heard anything similar? A lot of people have quit already at my store and individual conversations haven't even started yet.
Was it a secret? I knew for years the broad goals of modernization. Quit about 2 years ago seeing the writing on the door for a Flow TL, far happier now working as a robotics tech for a factory being paid double what i made as a flow TL. I was really reluctant to do that because i loved working with my team, not really my ETL but i loved my team. My new job pays way better but far less sociable. I was actually leaving to work at costco at first but then the tech job called back a week before i was going to give the costco a yes on the tabled offer.

Either way i quit around the time our pfresh was changed to uboats; basically i reworked the line, sent pfresh some of my good TMs, went through the packet with their new TL and my TMs on the goals and how we're doing this crap. I'm actually back on this site in a long while because i just remembered this existed and wanted to read gossip.

I understood the broad goals of modernization probably 2 and half years ago and understood commiting changes to the stores before getting the DC in place was dumb. I actually agree with a lot of the E2E modernization goals but the horrid implementation is cause enough to leave. If one of the major goals of the modernization process is to remove hour sapping truck unload, then committing to changes that only make sense once you have saved hours on the truck unload is ass backwards. You can't take hours out of the unload team into other areas just because they aren't stocking it anyone; at least not 1 for 1. The unload team still had to unload the same trucks, when that truck gets done unloaded sets the tone for the rest of the day especially for backroom and flow, so taking people out of that process while at the same time increasing the storting(steps) requirements for pfresh is outright inane. Although i understood maybe that "oversight" was a fu to the teams that were being eliminated.

Last edited:
When you submit your resignation through workday who is notified?
Do they have to approve it or anything? Where exactly is the notification for them to see? I submitted my resignation and no one has said anything to me about it at all. No one in HR, ETL, TL or any fellow TMs. Not that it matters, just hoping that they saw I won't be coming back. I'm wondering if a few months will go by when until someone realizes I haven't come to work in a while and finally notice that I quit two months ago.

Do they have to approve it or anything? Where exactly is the notification for them to see? I submitted my resignation and no one has said anything to me about it at all. No one in HR, ETL, TL or any fellow TMs. Not that it matters, just hoping that they saw I won't be coming back. I'm wondering if a few months will go by when until someone realizes I haven't come to work in a while and finally notice that I quit two months ago.
We had a GSTL that submitted his resignation and no one realized until his final day of work. Not sure how it falls through the cracks of Target communication, but it does sometimes!

It goes to your ETL's inbox in Workday. You may need to give a heads up to HR, be a use I don't think they automatically get it.

I also just put my 2 weeks in due to modernization. I found a job thats 40 hrs a week mon-fri, benefits starting day 1 (medical/ dental ect) and getting paid 3 dollars more than what spot is giving me. Have been with the company for 10+ years, not going anywhere with the company. My store i am lucky if i get 20 hours a week. Had to pick up a second job just to make ends meet. I will say i will miss alot of the people i work with. Other than that i will not miss working at target.

What's frustrating is that there is no transparency or honesty. "Of course there are the same amount of hours in the bucket" is what I was told. Really? I wonder what's it like to lie straight to someone's face concerning their living?
Yup, the hours at my store have dropped to a ridiculous amount, to the point that there was no cashier scheduled from 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM this morning, and that has happened at least a few times in the past few months. There is no way that this used to be the way the schedule was written before modernization. In my store's case, it seems that competition from a relatively new Walmart that opened four years ago and another nearby Target that opened ten years ago (in a more attractive location inside an outlet mall) has severely hurt sales. The fact that our store isn't making our sales goal consistently shows that the hours should accordingly be cut. Even an ETL and HR team members were openly discussing the fact that they exceeded their allocated hours by 100 this month and they were desperately trying to think of ways to cut and meet their goal. At this point, I'm resigned to the fact that I will need to find a second job or a new job period by the end of this year with the way hours are dropping.

I’ve been with Target for almost 25 years. Sounds crazy, but I make over $20 an hour so I stayed. Thought I might even retire in 10 more. However, with the new “business model”, these less than enough hours to pay your bills or keep your benefits are a reality... for most. In my 24+ years, my hours have never averaged below 36. I can count on both hands how many days I’ve missed in in the last decade (give or take) so my work ethic and attendance are not valid reasons for my cut in hours. In fact, others in my current work center have less availability and still get way more hours than I do. The worst part it is, I was the receiver for the last 4 years which meant I would still be working 5 days and near 40 hours. But, after a few words with Leadership about being pulled to make sure ship from store was done on time (forget that there was an actual store that needed attention too) and my job wasn’t getting done, I no longer have that position. No coachings, no corrective actions, no nothing. I just have to go because I’m doing a bad job. Oh, by the way, please use your inadequate skills to finish training your replacement before we move you and cut your hours in half. Starting looking for a new job that day (after calling a lawyer to see if this was even legal, which in MI it is). I’ll be taking a pay cut where ever I go, but at least I won’t hate my job, my bosses or even getting up in the morning once I find one.

I guess the moral of my story is this: If you like working here, shut your mouth, keep your head down and kiss some ETL ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back