Raising company minimum wage

Florida Dawg

Former Cart Attendant Pro and Target Employee
All I gotta say is this company really is a joke and I cannot wait to get out. According to my local news stations, They are now saying that the company will be raising the minimum wage higher up to $24 dollars an hour. So much less hours, And trying to hire workers and it’s been a struggle because people know the truth about how bad this company has gotten to be with how they treat workers and how it works to move up. This is a piss poor idea again from this company and it’s just gonna continue to make lazy workers continue to do what they do best, Not do their jobs right, not show up and cry when they don’t get their own way to do more at work.

“We’re always listening to our team.” They mean the ones who complain and just want to be lazier there and let people pick up their slack. What a fucking joke. Hours about go down bad even more if they allow a lot of higher wages for new hires and it’s just gonna motivate people to be lazier and management to schedule less while riding on workers to do alot more than they shouldn’t be.

the company will be raising the minimum wage higher up to $24 dollars an hour
That’s the “eye candy” of the press release but the public (and most Team Members on social media this morning) are not understanding the fine print.

The $24 is a ceiling, not a base.
They also said the range of $15 to $24 applies to hourly positions at HQ, at the DCs, and at stores.

It did not say store non-TL TMs are going to make this much. And not every market is competitive enough to even justify giving a non-TL starting TM $18 or even $19 an hour.

That’s the “eye candy” of the press release but the public (and most Team Members on social media this morning) are not understanding the fine print.

The $24 is a ceiling, not a base.
They also said the range of $15 to $24 applies to hourly positions at HQ, at the DCs, and at stores.

It did not say store non-TL TMs are going to make this much. And not every market is competitive enough to even justify giving a non-TL starting TM $18 or even $19 an hour.
I know that but that doesn’t make anything better, It’s gonna cut more hours and motivate lazy workers to be lazier while they “work” there. This is bullshit.

motivate lazy workers to be lazier
I understand the frustration — but it’s not exactly 100% true. Laziness existed at $9/hr., at $11/hr., at $12/hr. and will continue to exist at $15-24/hr.

It’s up to leaders to recognize problems and begin the long paper trail necessary to hold someone accountable and eventually separate them.
I know leaders doing this right now with problematic TMs and this was before the $15-24 press release.

And hour cuts affect individuals disproportionately. I bet you there is a handful of TMs on your team getting close to overtime while some are barely hitting 15 a week.
They won’t get worse at $15-24. They’ll just continue.

I understand the frustration — but it’s not exactly 100% true. Laziness existed at $9/hr., at $11/hr., at $12/hr. and will continue to exist at $15-24/hr.

It’s up to leaders to recognize problems and begin the long paper trail necessary to hold someone accountable and eventually separate them.
I know leaders doing this right now with problematic TMs and this was before the $15-24 press release.

And hour cuts affect individuals disproportionately. I bet you there is a handful of TMs on your team getting close to overtime while some are barely hitting 15 a week.
Well management doesn’t help anything at all but a lot of idiots and snowflakes this day in age want to barely work and get paid so much and see on what they can get away with. I’m part of one of the se younger generations and the older folks are right and so are the ones around my age and older are right. It’s a generation issue but also it’s the bs the company allows. Target will get what they deserve eventually for allowing this. DC’s are the only people who deserve greater pay because it’s harder work than in a store where I’m at.

It’s only New York doing $24/hr, that’s what most articles are saying, and that wages will vary from $15 to as high as $24. I’d expect that $24 might be for TLs only because that’s a lot.
And that's NYC right? Not all of New York State I imagine. I'm in a suburb.

I totally agree with @Duval Dawg. I have no idea if my old store would fall under this and thus have increased the minimum wage, but it happened after I already left. At the same time, I have a feeling that they are going to cut hours even more in order to make up for this. It just seems like a cheap ploy to get positive press in order to attract guests to shop more there.

Last edited:

My team hasnt experienced hour cuts at all the last 2 yrs. Hell my opener is on a 40 hour schedule and so is my closer . With my mid running a 36 hour sched. Flex has people running 40's and some of our cashiers never seem to leave.

But those are the rock stars of the store. The lazy ones? Their hours dropped.

Target is going to have to raise their base over $15 an hour. Where I live all of the fast food places are paying at least $15 an hour and Panda Express is starting at up to $18 an hour. I believe that Hobby Lobby already starts their full-time employees at 17 bucks an hour as well. At this point most employers are really struggling to give people in the door at $15 an hour.

Target fancies itself as being a trendsetter and showing how well it takes care of its employees. It also gets a lot of positive PR out of this.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a starting wage at a minimum of $17/hr an hour in most markets. Higher in high cost of living areas.

My store needs all the help it can get...
Cutting hours is gonna make overnight push impossible to fullfil...
4 hour shifts simply isn't enough to unload 1 or two trucks, have the push or backstock finished 100% before the store opens...

Target is going to have to raise their base over $15 an hour. Where I live all of the fast food places are paying at least $15 an hour and Panda Express is starting at up to $18 an hour. I believe that Hobby Lobby already starts their full-time employees at 17 bucks an hour as well. At this point most employers are really struggling to give people in the door at $15 an hour.

Target fancies itself as being a trendsetter and showing how well it takes care of its employees. It also gets a lot of positive PR out of this.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a starting wage at a minimum of $17/hr an hour in most markets. Higher in high cost of living areas.
I have several businesses in my area that are upping their wages by quite a bit and I live in a fairly low cost of living area. $15 an hour is no longer competitive when you live in an area where more and more places are matching that plus sign on bonuses.

15 is literally minimum wage in my area and we pay less then everything and have hired maybe 2 people worth hiring in the last year

“We’re always listening to our team.” They mean the ones who complain and just want to be lazier there and let people pick up their slack. What a fucking joke. Hours about go down bad even more if they allow a lot of higher wages for new hires and it’s just gonna motivate people to be lazier and management to schedule less while riding on workers to do alot more than they shouldn’t be.

Maybe you just have a bad store. Most people in GM at my store are scheduled for 20-25 hours a week. But, I'm scheduled for 40 an have carte blanche to work as much overtime as I care to. While I do complain a lot, I work and get shit done. Thus, I get hours. I welcome any raise. Please. Hell, cut my hours a bit to make it happen. I'm tired, bro. And, my feet hurt like hell.

All I gotta say is this company really is a joke and I cannot wait to get out. According to my local news stations, They are now saying that the company will be raising the minimum wage higher up to $24 dollars an hour. So much less hours, And trying to hire workers and it’s been a struggle because people know the truth about how bad this company has gotten to be with how they treat workers and how it works to move up. This is a piss poor idea again from this company and it’s just gonna continue to make lazy workers continue to do what they do best, Not do their jobs right, not show up and cry when they don’t get their own way to do more at work.
That $24 will be at dc’s in certain markets. My dc starts around $23 currently anyhow.

I totally agree with @Duval Dawg. I have no idea if my old store would fall under this and thus have increased the minimum wage, but it happened after I already left. At the same time, I have a feeling that they are going to cut hours even more in order to make up for this. It just seems like a cheap ploy in order to attract guests to shop more there.
Well it’s only certain positions, Team members won’t be affected thank god. It’s more for management and DC’s. But it’s still stupid as hell cus managers be lazy in this company and apparently I heard there are lazy people at DC’s but it’s not as bad as the stores.

Does anyone know what the ceiling is on TM pay now that we're at $15 or more starting pay?
I don’t remember the pay grade scale. But Team Member is likely capped at $18, give or take.

The pay grade has to be wide enough to allow for (1) local or state minimum wage requirements, (2) Team Members who’ve been in that position for a long time and still get yearly raises, and (3) - although Target doesn’t really do this anymore - commensuration, where they pay you more (sometimes less lol - but not at Target) based on experience.

This will end up benefitting roughly 1/2 the workforce, just like last time. With anyone having longer service and/or merits at DC, and execs getting absolutely nothing. Exactly like last time. Stores were raised, although those above the new minimum got nothing, then DC progression was raised, while merits and execs were left out of those pay bumps. So there were a lot of frustrated and pissed of TM’s, and they had every right to be. all this will do is separate their workforce.

Back