Raising company minimum wage

This will end up benefitting roughly 1/2 the workforce, just like last time. With anyone having longer service and/or merits at DC, and execs getting absolutely nothing. Exactly like last time. Stores were raised, although those above the new minimum got nothing, then DC progression was raised, while merits and execs were left out of those pay bumps. So there were a lot of frustrated and pissed of TM’s, and they had every right to be. all this will do is separate their workforce.
Literally managers don’t do shit and I think that’s the mentality or it’s what corporate trains, They like to micromanage if that’s their style. They don’t help people that need it just like they should or be proactive about things. And unfortunately that’s not just with Target, That’s a lot of companies. We are getting softer by the day in this world and going backwards and it’s no wonder since Covid began, There’s a major shortage with employees but a lot of it is cus people don’t really wanna work cus they want the government to give them handouts but there are a small percentage might be bigger than I think where they are leaving these shit companies trying to find one where employees are treated good and will be happier.

managers don’t do shit
Your store may embrace a culture of “whip cracking” but that’s not every store. I have some amazing leaders in my store who put in lots of effort and without them, we’d be at a loss.
Please don’t generalize. I’m sorry for your bad experiences.
but a lot of it is cus people don’t really wanna work cus they want the government to give them handouts
A lot of people? Some people sure. Every system will have those who play it.
But again, generalizing.
A vast majority of people on government assistance of any sort (which everyone’s taxes pay for, including theirs) are honest, down-on-their-luck who aren’t quite making it without help right now.

But a lot of people did wake up during the pandemic and realized how severely underpaid and undervalued they were for their work and don’t want to go back to being paid pennies for dollar work.
leaving these shit companies trying to find one where employees are treated good and will be happier
Yes. That’s actually a big reason a lot of employers are having issues finding employees right now. They are tired of crap treatment and equally crap pay.

Posters are mentioning that their stores not being able to hire anyone but they also have lots of callouts.

Is this because the new hires are going aren't getting hours?

I'll only have a problem with this IF new team members at my store start at a higher pay than I am currently making. I have been here for 16 years. That may be sufficient reason for me to quit and re-apply as a new hire.
That didn’t happen when starting pay went to 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, or 15, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

However, you may end up making the exact same as new team members. More likely, you will end up just 1 merit raise above them.

I really wish they factored seniority into wages.
Hasn’t ever happened yet. Haven’t you noticed that all the new benefits ‘enhancements’ always seem to gear towards newer hires? look back over the past 3 benefit cycles, each year they make it easier for the new hires, while taking away anything tied to seniority or length of service. In 2021, the DC new hire sign on bonus, just for walking in the door, was 10X the anniversary service award for a 25 yr team member. Length of service and years of support mean absolutely nothing to Target.

That didn’t happen when starting pay went to 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, or 15, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

However, you may end up making the exact same as new team members. More likely, you will end up just 1 merit raise above them.
Doubt that

Posters are mentioning that their stores not being able to hire anyone but they also have lots of callouts.

Is this because the new hires are going aren't getting hours?

There are several reasons. Hours have been cut, but we're still getting Q4 level trucks for our store. We're way behind and there is so much to do. Morale is worse than I've ever seen it. TMs who have been there for a lot longer than me tell me it's worse than they've ever seen it. No one cares how much gets done because we know it won't all get done. Low morale = call outs.

At the same time underscheduling the front end and fulfillment has everyone on the salesfloor at their wit's end. We're way behind in our own work, but constantly asked to pick up the slack elsewhere. Morale gets worse.

To add to matters TLs can do nothing about callouts or TMs who do almost nothing all day. Those TMs are bodies that can't be replaced as useless as they are.

Last edited:
Is it for selected stores or all stores ? I thought I read selected locations to attract more people to join the team .

Think Seasonaldude works at my store. Exactly the same.
Or mine. We aren't getting as many trucks as we were during Q4, but they're just as large as they were then and we don't have the seasonal staff level any more to help with it. So we're struggling to keep up with everything. Right now, I'm prioritizing getting my transitions done and leaving a pile of other stuff until later.
As to the pay raise issue, I've read elsewhere that those large increases are for areas that have significantly higher cost of living than average and/or are completely unable to hire enough staff at current pay rates. Which means my area is unlikely to see big raises - we definitely need to hire a few more TMs but the cost of living in my area is relatively low.

I know people are pessimistic, but we found out we're going up to $17 on April 3 up from $15.50. I wish it was more, but better than I was expecting.

Edit: Wait, I think I misinterpreted something someone told me. I think they meant a new store in our district is opening on April 3 and is paying $17. Ugh.

And we're the best performing store in the district too btw. Yet they're taking a chance on a new store with $17/hr. Make it make sense.

Last edited:
All I gotta say is this company really is a joke and I cannot wait to get out. According to my local news stations, They are now saying that the company will be raising the minimum wage higher up to $24 dollars an hour. So much less hours, And trying to hire workers and it’s been a struggle because people know the truth about how bad this company has gotten to be with how they treat workers and how it works to move up. This is a piss poor idea again from this company and it’s just gonna continue to make lazy workers continue to do what they do best, Not do their jobs right, not show up and cry when they don’t get their own way to do more at work.
They need to put the money into the stores as a form of payroll, not increased wages. If everyone could get 40 hours, or mid to close coverage in EACH dept, the employees and guests would be so much happier!!!

Back