Archived reasons that target fires people

Status
Not open for further replies.

vee

I met someone the other day who said they were fired from target, I was hired last month and since im still on my 90 day probation I want to make sure im not terminated,so what could cause a termination? any little thing, I wanna know so I can avoid that.

Show up on time, don't call in too often, be kind and polite to your peers and complete your daily tasks.... You will be there as long as you want.

Quickest way to get fired in my store.....steal.

Good luck in your new target adventures!

contrary to backrooms opinion, pretty much anything could get your fired if they don't like you, but the obvious is don't do anything major like No Call No Show, just one of those can cost you your employment. In fact, pretty much anything within your first 90 days can. Too bad Target isn't unionized, or you would have lots of job protections, but since they aren't....
I met someone the other day who said they were fired from target, I was hired last month and since im still on my 90 day probation I want to make sure im not terminated,so what could cause a termination? any little thing, I wanna know so I can avoid that.

Don't steal....don't curse management out....don't do anything that is considered safety negligent...don't purchases clearance merchandise from the backroom...basically if you have to stop and think about it, its probably wrong

Don't come to work hung over.....or drunk!

This! Although my store seems to turn a blind eye to the hangover. I knew someone who had been there for about 7 or 8 years who'd come in on a Sunday morning hungover and no one would say anything. I hope other stores are better...

Don't leave $$ unsecured or give your friends discounts or freebies.

This! Although my store seems to turn a blind eye to the hangover. I knew someone who had been there for about 7 or 8 years who'd come in on a Sunday morning hungover and no one would say anything. I hope other stores are better...

My STL comes in with a hangover a lot, especially during fourth quarter. He is grumpy as ever when he does, firing off negative emails to store leadership. (I can remember Christmas Eve of 2010. I volunteered to work as the overnight LOD and he sent me five negative emails after an all night bender. No "thank you for working" or "happy holiday" greetings for me that night!) He also comes in during the summer months with shorts, a t-shirt and sandals on and works while wearing them!

I reported the numerous hangovers to corporate, but nothing was ever done about it. I guess if the DTL & Group Director like you, you can do nothing wrong! Yet let a team member forget to wear a name badge and it is an automatic coaching. Sounds like a double standard to me!

Last edited:
My STL comes in with a hangover a lot, especially during fourth quarter. He is grumpy as ever when he does, firing off negative emails to store leadership. (I can remember Christmas Eve of 2010. I volunteered to work as the overnight LOD and he sent me five negative emails after an all night bender. No "thank you for working" or "happy holiday" greetings for me that night!) He also comes in during the summer months with shorts, a t-shirt and sandals on and works while wearing them!

I reported the numerous hangovers to corporate, but nothing was ever done about it. I guess if the DTL & Group Director like you, you can do nothing wrong! Yet let a team member forget to wear a name badge and it is an automatic coaching. Sounds like a double standard to me!

That sucks that he can't handle his alcohol. But if I was at corporate, i would be instantly suspicious of ANY target employee who didn't have a substance abuse problem. They are obviously mentally ill and a huge liability. LOL jk!

try to be there every day during your first 90 days... calling in even once may hurt you... be on time... keep a smile on your face and have a good attitude... always show a sense of urgency / or faster pace...

the main thing is to just be there every day though... if you show up every day and do at least a decent job you will be fine!

Great advice!

vee....you'll be ok. Be nice, come to work, be willing to pick-up extra shifts, don't have a NCNS, try not to call off for any reason (if you come in not feeling well, they can always send you home.) do not steal. Do your best and ask questions if you don't understand something.

And as PricingMaster says...if you have to think about it, its probably wrong. (Best advice!!)

That sucks that he can't handle his alcohol. But if I was at corporate, i would be instantly suspicious of ANY target employee who didn't have a substance abuse problem. They are obviously mentally ill and a huge liability. LOL jk!

I work for Target and I don't have a substance abuse problem...yet. :D

During my 90 days, my wife's grandmother died. We had to make an emergency trip to Colorado (a 10 hour drive). Since I was on probation, I was paranoid I was going to lose my job. I kept calling work, telling them that if they really needed me, I would find some way back and come to work. We ended up having to stay for a week. Luckily, I still had my job, and I just passed my three-year mark.

This is why the FMLA law (Family Medical Leave Act) has to be expanded to included Date of Hire employees. The rediiculous idea that you have to be with a company for over a YEAR before you get job protection is ludicrous! Not only does FMLA need to be offered to employees as soon as they are hired, it need to be PAID like it is in California!
During my 90 days, my wife's grandmother died. We had to make an emergency trip to Colorado (a 10 hour drive). Since I was on probation, I was paranoid I was going to lose my job. I kept calling work, telling them that if they really needed me, I would find some way back and come to work. We ended up having to stay for a week. Luckily, I still had my job, and I just passed my three-year mark.

Things that I've heard of: TM discount card violations, stealing gift cards from guests, stealing in general, losing keys, handing keys to non-Target employees (like reps), NCNS, constantly late, taking overly long breaks, gross insubordination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back