Archived Recently termed ETL Does this make any sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been with target for around 8 years now. Iv been an ETL for the past six... I was terminated recently terminated and I’d really like feedback on this situation... it seems so ridiculous given everything iv put into this company. And what I can or should do if anything at all...

I recently started a new roll at a new store. A few months ago I had a few issues that caused me to be late a few times when I needed to be there to open the store. This resulted in me getting out on final warning. (Which at that point I should have been) this past weekend on Saturday I was working with a peer. She committed to being at the store when the team would arrive. I worked 13 hours that day. The following day. I wake up not feeling that great, and didn’t rush to go in knowing that my peer would be there to open the store for the team. I texted her and told her I was running a little late. She asked if I could get her a coffee so I stopped and got her coffee and donuts for the team. The day went as planned and I didn’t think about it again. A few days later My store manager brings up that day in a normal conversation, asking “what happened” I honestly had no idea what she was talking about Bc nothing about the day was effected. Once she started giving more details I remembered and told her what happened. (That I knew my peer would be there, and how I stopped to get “recognition” for the team) even that conversation turned into us making plans for the next few days and I didn’t think anything of it. The next day in the middle of the day my boss calls me in her office and terminated me. Our conversation went something like this:
STL: you weren’t here on time to open the store for the team, which you were on final warning for...so this will be a termination...
Me: My peer was there, I knew she was going to be there and the team was let in on time.
STL: But she could have not been there... and then the team couldn’t have gotten in.
Me: BUT SHE WAS THERE!!! And I knew she would be Bc we discussed it!
STL: I had to partner with HRBPs and this was the decision
Me: no... no you didn’t. You did that for no reason. I came in at the time my peer was supposed to be there (7am instead of 6) the team was let in on time.

So this is an issue that requires partnership with HRBP? Bc “she could have not been there” to open the store.... but she was Bc we discussed it and she committed to it....and the team was let in....

i get it I should be on time should have never got into a situation to be on final warning for something like attendance.....I could understand if she didn’t come in and the team didn’t get let in. But they were... any HRs have some insight here? Maybe my SD is completely right and I’m just to close to the situation to view it objectively. I just know as a leader I would have never done that to someone. Termed Bc someone COULD have not shown up? This feeling is gut wrenching....

@HRZone

I have been with target for around 8 years now. Iv been an ETL for the past six... I was terminated recently terminated and I’d really like feedback on this situation... it seems so ridiculous given everything iv put into this company. And what I can or should do if anything at all...

I recently started a new roll at a new store. A few months ago I had a few issues that caused me to be late a few times when I needed to be there to open the store. This resulted in me getting out on final warning. (Which at that point I should have been) this past weekend on Saturday I was working with a peer. She committed to being at the store when the team would arrive. I worked 13 hours that day. The following day. I wake up not feeling that great, and didn’t rush to go in knowing that my peer would be there to open the store for the team. I texted her and told her I was running a little late. She asked if I could get her a coffee so I stopped and got her coffee and donuts for the team. The day went as planned and I didn’t think about it again. A few days later My store manager brings up that day in a normal conversation, asking “what happened” I honestly had no idea what she was talking about Bc nothing about the day was effected. Once she started giving more details I remembered and told her what happened. (That I knew my peer would be there, and how I stopped to get “recognition” for the team) even that conversation turned into us making plans for the next few days and I didn’t think anything of it. The next day in the middle of the day my boss calls me in her office and terminated me. Our conversation went something like this:
STL: you weren’t here on time to open the store for the team, which you were on final warning for...so this will be a termination...
Me: My peer was there, I knew she was going to be there and the team was let in on time.
STL: But she could have not been there... and then the team couldn’t have gotten in.
Me: no... no you didn’t. You did that for no reason. I came in at the time my peer was supposed to be there (7am instead of 6) the team was let in on time.

So this is an issue that requires partnership with HRBP? Bc “she could have not been there” to open the store.... but she was Bc we discussed it and she committed to it....and the team was let in....

i get it I should be on time should have never got into a situation to be on final warning for something like attendance.....I could understand if she didn’t come in and the team didn’t get let in. But they were... any HRs have some insight here? Maybe my SD is completely right and I’m just to close to the situation to view it objectively. I just know as a leader I would have never done that to someone. Termed Bc someone COULD have not shown up? This feeling is gut wrenching....

@HRZone
I think due to the fact you were on a final for being late your SD had the right to terminate you. Do I think she/he should have? No I think they’re over reacting or have an alternative motive and was just using this as an excuse. We’re you under preforming and they were just looking for you to mess up?

Hey man chin-up! Looks like Spot followed policy, and did things by the book..

An ETL stopped for coffee on the way to work and was thus late? Yeah, happens everyday. They don't normally get fired for it, but no one is going to cry about it.

An ETL stopped for coffee on the way to work and was thus late? Yeah, happens everyday. They don't normally get fired for it, but no one is going to cry about it.
That’s why I think they were just using the late think as an easy out the same thing TLs do to TMs. I have a feeling they wanted OP out for another reason. Etls are always late for getting coffee 😂 as long as there’s someone to open the building no one cares

Sorry that happened to you, the fact that you brought doughnuts for the team gives you points in my book, but you can’t do much about it when they have a paper trail, or even if they don’t. Seems like anytime a member of leadership gets written up for anything, that’s a clue that they are looking to get rid of them and it’s time to start looking for another job. Spot no longer seems to care about what you’ve done for them, and if they can replace you with someone cheaper they probably will. Your SD Sounds like a particular asshat, since your peer was there to cover opening the store, the two of you essentially swapped shifts, and all went well. Our ETLs were late all the time, and nothing ever happened to any of them, they went and got their Starbucks and life went on. Good luck to you, it’s Spot’s loss and you deserve better. I hope you find it.

@HRZone
You technically didn’t arrive on time, you were on a final, and your stl wanted you gone. So your stl used the opportunity and convenience to let you go.sneaky and rude but completely legit during your final.

Wonder why stl said “what happened” tho. How did they know you were late? Someone complain?

Last edited:
You technically didn’t arrive on time, you were on a final, and your stl wanted you gone. So your stl used the opportunity and convenience to let you go.sneaky and rude but completely legit during your final.

Wonder why stl said “what happened” tho. How did they know you were late? Someone complain?
That’s true... no punches so I have a feeling the other ETL is shady too 👀👀

@HRZone
What would you have done to a TL/TM on their final for being late? Can't have your cake and eat it too.

You must have noticed that ETL headcount is shrinking ?
Why did you make it so easy for them to make you the scapegoat to cut ?
I wouldn't be surprised if your peer was thinking "whew, better him than me" especially since she suggested that you make yourself even later by stopping for coffee on top of being behind already.
You have no recourse. You have NO ONE to blame but yourself on this one.

Final answer to your question : a resounding and unanimous "yes, it makes sense", perfect sense.

You must have noticed that ETL headcount is shrinking ?
Why did you make it so easy for them to make you the scapegoat to cut ?
I wouldn't be surprised if your peer was thinking "whew, better him than me" especially since she suggested that you make yourself even later by stopping for coffee on top of being behind already.
You have no recourse. You have NO ONE to blame but yourself on this one.

Final answer to your question : a resounding and unanimous "yes, it makes sense", perfect sense.
Are you the OPs peer 😳

@HRZone

Been with target 8 years and call the STL/SD store manager??? Sounds like you didn't drink enough of the koolaid for the SD to think highly of you.

Sounds like they wanted to fire you. Tarshit can be pretty cruel sometimes but you were late as an Etl and if it’s your job to open the store you have be there on time. But it might be blessing Tarshit is not best place to work. Good luck on getting a new job.

Nope. They will need salaried folks to work 12 hour days year round to fill in the gaps as hours continue to be slashed.
Average ETL salary is 70,000 times 2 ETLs = 140,000

So
140,000 divided by 52 weeks per year = 2,692 divided by (2 more dollars per hour to equal 15) = 1,346 divided by (30 hours per week for average TM) = 44 TM to get 15 per hour

Makes sense to get rid of 2 ETLs = 44 TMs at 30 hrs per week st 15 per hour.

Lol bye bye bye

So
140,000 divided by 52 weeks per year = 2,692 divided by (2 more dollars per hour to equal 15) = 1,346 divided by (30 hours per week for average TM) = 44 TM to get 15 per hour

Lol bye bye bye
Damn, I think I want you to do my taxes👍

So

Lol bye bye bye

But they're cutting hours so they won't need that many TMs making the ETLs necessary.

And if you do replace 2 ETLs with that many TM @ 30 hours each, Spot is gonna have to cough up some big bucks to cover all the bennies, particularly insurance.

Instead of having 44 TMs with 30 hours, Spot would probably have 88 TMs with 15 hours, or 176 TMs with 7.5 hours, without paying anything for benefits because none of them would be eligible. With all the hours being cut and the skeleton crews in stores, Spot has too many levels of leadership to supervise a continually diminished workforce, unless the leadership is actually working to complete tasks. Whether Spot will keep the ETLs or the TLs is open to speculation, but I can’t see Spot paying to keep both, especially since all leaders are supposed to do is lead and not perform any tasks. Paying three ETLs and three TLs to supervise ten to twelve TMs is a waste of money. Maybe they will keep the ETLs because they have to work longer hours without overtime, or maybe they will keep the TLs because they make less money, but once the TMs have been cut completely to the bone (and they are just about there) and Spot still needs to cut costs, leadership will be next on the chopping block.

Instead of having 44 TMs with 30 hours, Spot would probably have 88 TMs with 15 hours, or 176 TMs with 7.5 hours, without paying anything for benefits because none of them would be eligible. With all the hours being cut and the skeleton crews in stores, Spot has too many levels of leadership to supervise a continually diminished workforce, unless the leadership is actually working to complete tasks. Whether Spot will keep the ETLs or the TLs is open to speculation, but I can’t see Spot paying to keep both, especially since all leaders are supposed to do is lead and not perform any tasks. Paying three ETLs and three TLs to supervise ten to twelve TMs is a waste of money. Maybe they will keep the ETLs because they have to work longer hours without overtime, or maybe they will keep the TLs because they make less money, but once the TMs have been cut completely to the bone (and they are just about there) and Spot still needs to cut costs, leadership will be next on the chopping block.

There will never not be both ETLs and TLs in the store. How many is a separate question, but both levels are necessary for the sheer volume of TMs and sales.

Even in companies that keep under 20 TMs you still have department heads, because you need someone in charge of handling the stuff that only matters to that department.

Edit: i It is not JUST overseeing TMs. You're overseeing products, processes, sales, and customers. TMs are a tool in that group but by no means the only responsibility of leaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back