Archived Red card payment at register?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a cashier and today a lady wanted to make a payment at my register and I was super confused. I told her I don't think we do that at the registers and she said she saw someone do it the other day. I asked if she saw that at guest service and she said no it was at the register and then she tried telling me what button to press (functions) and there was only 1 option, to open the register. She then just said she would go to guest services in a rude tone. Is there a way to make a red card payment at the registers or is this lady mistaken? If there is I was never taught how to do it..

I'm a cashier and today a lady wanted to make a payment at my register and I was super confused. I told her I don't think we do that at the registers and she said she saw someone do it the other day. I asked if she saw that at guest service and she said no it was at the register and then she tried telling me what button to press (functions) and there was only 1 option, to open the register. She then just said she would go to guest services in a rude tone. Is there a way to make a red card payment at the registers or is this lady mistaken? If there is I was never taught how to do it..

There is, but you need to have Guest Service access in the register. If your number is set to Ring Only or No Access, you can't do REDCARD payments at all. Only Guest Service and Supervisor are allowed that functionality, and they can process redcard payments at any register.

There is, but you need to have Guest Service access in the register. If your number is set to Ring Only or No Access, you can't do REDCARD payments at all. Only Guest Service and Supervisor are allowed that functionality, and they can process redcard payments at any register.

Okay, that's what I was thinking, thank you!

Okay, that's what I was thinking, thank you!

It can be confusing for guests and TMs alike, because oftentimes a one time lucky chance "went through a lane with someone with GS numbers" thing will turn into an "everyone should be able to do this for me" thing, which is why my store doesn't let anyone do RC payments except at GS, even if they have the access.

OP, always direct them to the service desk. Even though cashiers with guest service access can process payments on any register, it should only be done at the service desk (along with returns, exchanges, etc.).

Yes, it's possible a cashier with GS access processed a payment for her at a regular register, but that is not best practice because as Nitro said not every cashier has access to that function, and it will just confuse & frustrate guests who then expect that any register can process the payment. We do not permit payments anywhere but GS at my store.

My internal alarm goes off when a guest starts telling me what buttons to push. o_O

The only time I actually listen to a guest telling me what buttons to push was when I was new and the GSTL on lunch told me what buttons to use for WIC. Otherwise it sets off those alarm bells.

And then there was the guy who came in stoned and said "hey dude, can you do me a solid and K5-K1 the drawer I left my change in there." His ass got tossed out by AP very shortly after as he was spider wrapping some stuff at electronics and was like ok buddy time to go now

"hey dude, can you do me a solid and K5-K1 the drawer I left my change in there." His ass got tossed out by AP very shortly after as he was spider wrapping some stuff at electronics and was like ok buddy time to go now

Lmao. In what world would that ever work? "Hey bro, do me a solid and give me some free money please?"

Cashiers without GS #'s, can process payments, with the bill, but not with the card. Personally, I have always done it no matter what register I was on, but always explained when doing so that not all cashiers could do so and that they'd typically have to go to the service desk. No need to make them wait in two lines IMO so kong as they don't throw a fit the next time when they get a cashier who can't process the payment for them.

Yeah, they won't remember that it was a special case, just that someone did it last time. You'll just create a bigger headache and a grumpier guest next time for someone else to deal with.

Yep, I do help out guest services but there are certain things I can not do and card payments is one of them. It makes some people angry, but I explain I am helping out and only "guest service" people can do it. Less chance of info being compromised on our side. They generally settle down and wait their turn.

But yes as a general rule send them to the service desk.

Anyone at my store who is guest service trained and can back up as needed is given guest service access. It takes two seconds for a gsa or higher to change it and makes things easier for the rest of us when they are backing up or covering a break/lunch out of desperation. But even then they won't process any of those payments at a normal register.

I don't want the access they would make us help more and In-Stocks "Ain't got time fo' dat'." So we usually help while we sort out our rehop and defectives, empty packages.

That's only for payments using the card. If they have the bill anyone with any access to the registers can scan the bill and make a payment. Guest service access includes...

Payments using the plastic redcard (ring only can do it with the bill)
K2 Match Target Ad after scanning a receipt
K5 Tax Exempt after scanning a receipt
Opening/Closing any register that doesn't get start funds added in the night (so GS/Pharmacy registers).

I think that's it, anyone have anything to add?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back