Archived Regarding compliance/unpaid meal breaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello so I'm freaking out a little bit right now. Idk if every Target has this rule, but where I work we must take a 30 minute, unpaid meal break before a 6 hour mark or it's a huge problems ($1000s in fines, as I discovered).

I started working at Target 3 weeks ago. Last Sunday I hit compliance by working over the 6 hour mark without a break. Got a stern talking to from HR basically told me "do lot let it happen again".

Tonight I was scheduled a shorter shift (5pm - 10pm). When I got there I was asked to work until 10:30 since I was working OPU and the store closes at 11:00pm on Fridays. I just checked Kronus and I actually clocked out at 10:40. ITS RED JUST LIKE LAST TIME. I'm very concerned that I cut it too close and after my last incident they might just fire me tomorrow :(

You are fine. Last week I clocked out with one (1) minute to spare. As long as it's before you hit compliance, you are fine. You still had about 5 minutes to go before LOD started yelling that it was times-up.

It’s probably just red because you clocked out later than your scheduled time, but you were asked to stay later so it’s fine! And you wouldn’t have hit compliance until 11pm anyway. You’re good :)

(Btw the 6 hour thing is something that varies by state, some state law requires you to take it before 5 hours into your shift, some 6, some require a 45 minute meal some a 30 minute meal etc)

Red means you clocked out after your scheduled time. You were at 5 and a half hours so you had more than enough time to avoud compliance which you did.

Reactions: Coo
All of mine are usually red since it always takes a bit to get in the door in the morning and then I almost never leave on time right now..

It’s fun looking at Kronos and seeing a sea of red 😂😂😂. In my investments lifestyle red is bad, here though it means I worked overtime and got paid for it 😜😜😜

The compliance stuff is dumb. You, the team member, shouldn't be held 100% responsible for going over. At my store it happens a lot because they give us too much shit to do and they have unrealistic expectations. It got so bad that now they just call out over the walkies when someone needs to take a lunch. That's how it should be--let them deal with that. I couldn't care less if they get fined lol :D

So I hit compliance again today. Was scheduled for 5 hours, was asked to stay an hour late, tried to make it to the clock before the 6 hour mark and bam, guests needed attended to. So I was 12 min past 6 hours.
What’s the big deal anyway? At my last job we ate when we ate. When we had time or when we felt like it. Why is Target so strict on lunches?

All of these lates all of my HRs ETLs and STL would've been hunting them down also eventually give them CCA or even Final if seasonal fired on the spot ahem last day.

What’s the big deal anyway? At my last job we ate when we ate. When we had time or when we felt like it. Why is Target so strict on lunches?

The reason that Target is strict on lunches is because states have laws that require meal breaks to be taken before a certain time. Since it is the law and Target is not above the law, they have to abide or be penalized. Thus, they try their best to make sure that every hourly employee takes their lunches on time.

The compliance stuff is dumb. You, the team member, shouldn't be held 100% responsible for going over. At my store it happens a lot because they give us too much shit to do and they have unrealistic expectations. It got so bad that now they just call out over the walkies when someone needs to take a lunch. That's how it should be--let them deal with that. I couldn't care less if they get fined lol :D

You can tell time, take your lunch on time..

So I hit compliance again today. Was scheduled for 5 hours, was asked to stay an hour late, tried to make it to the clock before the 6 hour mark and bam, guests needed attended to. So I was 12 min past 6 hours.

Because stuff like that causes a class action lawsuit.

I'm in the one for no chairs offered to cashiers. I'll be sure to join any class action suit for "making" TM's work past 6 hours with no meal break.

It's not that hard to punch out. In CA, you have to punch out before you hit 5 hours, not 6 hours. Somehow, I managed to do this successfully for years without issue.

As such a big company Target is liable to get audited over someone hitting compliance. A store in my district got audited by the department of labor and it is true the fines are very expensive.

If you can do the dance and beat compliance by two minutes or punch correct so you dont hit compliance then by all means do it. Otherwise don't wait until the last minute.

Because stuff like that causes a class action lawsuit.

I'm in the one for no chairs offered to cashiers. I'll be sure to join any class action suit for "making" TM's work past 6 hours with no meal break.

It's not that hard to punch out. In CA, you have to punch out before you hit 5 hours, not 6 hours. Somehow, I managed to do this successfully for years without issue.

California is no joke when it comes to labor laws. You can literally terminate someone for compliance.

My old fellow hrtm said he hates having to pay people the day of when they are terminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back