Archived Register Pin Number

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was helping out in Guest Service for a bit today covering breaks and such, and noticed the register prompted me for a new pin number (at least, I don't recall accidentally hitting the button to make a new pin). So I was going to change it to something and change it back, but I noticed that the register would no longer allow me to have a zero in my pin number. Granted, I've been fitting room almost exclusively for two or three months so my time on a register has been very slim, but this is the first time this has ever happened. Did something change in the registers recently that I'm unaware of or something else?

you can no longer have your pin start with a zero or be consecutive numbers. It makes me mad because i have had the same two pin numbers since i started and both of them started with a zero! I just cannot get use to my new pin.

you can no longer have your pin start with a zero or be consecutive numbers. It makes me mad because i have had the same two pin numbers since i started and both of them started with a zero! I just cannot get use to my new pin.

I'm the same way. Been using the same pin ever since and could type it without even looking. My new pin I've entered wrong at least once every time I tried logging into a register.

I was helping out in Guest Service for a bit today covering breaks and such, and noticed the register prompted me for a new pin number (at least, I don't recall accidentally hitting the button to make a new pin). So I was going to change it to something and change it back, but I noticed that the register would no longer allow me to have a zero in my pin number. Granted, I've been fitting room almost exclusively for two or three months so my time on a register has been very slim, but this is the first time this has ever happened. Did something change in the registers recently that I'm unaware of or something else?

In addition to what redandkhaki said, POS requires that you change your PIN periodically, just like eHR. As long as you don't start with zero or have consecutive numbers (i.e. 1234), just pick out two PINs that you'll remember and switch back and forth. I have two PINs that I alternate, plus I use them as my locker combination on certain days of the week.

This change happened to our registers about a month ago. I was having a new TM get set up on the register so of course they had to enter a pin. When it said it violated one of the rules (can't start with zero, can't be consecutive, or can't be all the same), I just stood there in shock. I can now say that back in the good old days there were no rules. Makes me feel old...

I remember back on the old DOS Prompt POS, we actually were assigned a 4 digit number, and thats all you had to do to log into the register. Great security.lol It didn't take long to figure out someone else's register code.

I was hoping at some point Target would get into Biometric log-ins, and you could log into a register with just a finger. For me the middle finger.

At my current job. We have to change our network passwords every month. And it must meet 3 of the 4 categories; at least 8 characters long, at least 3 Capital letters, at least 3 numbers, or 1 special character. And then you cannot use any of your last 25 passwords.

For me, I basically use maybe 3 sets of passwords for any personal accounts. But I have to change and remember my work password constantly.

Last edited:
In addition to what redandkhaki said, POS requires that you change your PIN periodically, just like eHR. As long as you don't start with zero or have consecutive numbers (i.e. 1234), just pick out two PINs that you'll remember and switch back and forth. I have two PINs that I alternate, plus I use them as my locker combination on certain days of the week.

All I do is change the PIN for a day and then change it back to my old one the next day.

At my current job. We have to change our network passwords every month. And it must meet 3 of the 4 categories; at least 8 characters long, at least 3 Capital letters, at least 3 numbers, or 1 special character. And then you cannot use any of your last 25 passwords.

For me, I basically use maybe 3 sets of passwords for any personal accounts. But I have to change and remember my work password constantly.

To me, that just encourages people to write down their passwords or even input them into their phones. Is that not less safe than having three or four different passwords you cycle through for just work purposes?

Strange... I was required to change my PIN the other day and I don't have any repeating numbers or anything starting with a 0. I'm also pretty sure I did not hit K1 instead of K3.

I'll try changing it back when I work tomorrow.

Strange... I was required to change my PIN the other day and I don't have any repeating numbers or anything starting with a 0. I'm also pretty sure I did not hit K1 instead of K3.

I'll try changing it back when I work tomorrow.

That's because every 90 days or so it requires you to change your PIN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back