Resume Help

I’m applying for a job as a receptionist. $16 an hour, Monday - Friday. I have a friend who works there and they asked her specifically for recommendations so I have really good luck, just need to formally apply. I’m making a resume and I’m wondering if you guys could help with skills I could list from being a guest advocate for 2 years? I know i could list like problem solving, customer interaction, etc but I’m not sure how to phrase it in a good way. Thank you ❤️❤️❤️

I would mention:
Excellent customer service skills
Ability to prioritize
Experienced in multitasking
Excellent problem solving skills
Excellent organizational skills
Ability to work as part of a team

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Not to be nitpicking, but don't overuse the word "excellent". Try using "outstanding" or "accomplished", too.

BTW, it's a really good list!

So there’s two bosses that will also conduct the interview (if i get one lol), one of them is the best friend of my best friend’s mom, so my friend emailed my app to her and the boss said she emailed it to the other boss last night so pls send good vibes I should be hearing something today 🙏🏻🙏🏻 The only reason I’m kinda worried is because apparently the last person my friend recommended for the job was an absolute idiot and was terrible and ended up NCNS-ing enough times that she pretty much job abandoned because she felt everyone was being “mean” to her because she like never did any work, would turn off the phones because she didn’t feel like answering and took like 2 hour long lunches so they might not trust my friend’s judgement anymore LOL but hopefully my resume (I’ve had one job and the same job for multiple years) and my friend’s mom (who I’ve known for 10 years) can vouch for me

Good vibes. Remember not to talk badly about Target. Be prepared to answer about why you want to change jobs (Target was a great first job. I learned so much about...). A receptionist needs to handle situations just like Service Desk does. Come up with some situations where you were able to fix something independently. You got this.

Seconding the comment from @Times Up about word over-use. When I was involved in the hiring process at a company several years ago, this was one example of how we filtered out applicants before calling anyone for interviews.

Be careful to stay professional with the interviewer who is the friend of your friend's mom. Don't mention your friend or the mom. I mean, obviously you need to stay professional with both. But the personal connection is going to make that more important.

I liked this site. Only thing is you can build and view it for free but you have to pay to print it, so I "edited" each section and copied the text and pasted it into Open Office.

Make sure you dress upscale. For receptionist, a blazer would be very wise to wear. Thrift stores are great for that. Target has cheap blazers that look decent if the thrift stores are a fail.

Remember that an interview is basically you selling a product - yourself. Think about how you want to package that product, not just in dress, but in preparation, in your selling points for why you are a great fit for the position. If there's a website review it, because there's always a point where you ask the questions and you want to look like you care enough about the job and are committed to it that you want to learn more. Think now about complicated situations you've solved and how, phrasing your worst trait in a way that sounds reasonable, and whatever other questions are common these days. I always take extra copies of my resume, so I can hand one to the interviewer (even though they already have it) and have one for me to refer to. Sometimes there's a second person, so minimum of three. And yes, I've had interviewers ask if I have one with me while I'm still getting seated. I also carry a nice notebook and a pen for notes.

Big one for receptionist is use of a multi-line phone, so brush up those skills. Some receptionists also do light office work.

Good luck!

As Tessa said, you're selling yourself so a blazer is a good piece of business apparel; it looks good over a dress or with a skirt & blouse, makes slacks look dressy (also good in air-conditioned buildings).

Nicely coiffed hair, make-up on-point, comfortable shoes (do they need polishing?), a non-distracting purse, minimal jewelry (no large'statement' pieces), nails done, etc.

Body language: shake hands upon meeting your interviewer; sit up straight with knees together (don't cross your legs); look them in the eye when answering; head up & shoulders back - you got this.

When I interview I usually “NO” if -
No energy - can’t keep up following me to the interview location
Distracted - not looking at me when talking, if cell phone rings, if they ‘check’ phone even if it didn’t ring
Annoying habits - drumming fingers, knuckle cracking, shaking foot/leg, twitching
Poor hygeine
Flip flops
Complaining about previous employer
Too many conditions/baggage
Too many Limits to Availability
No answers, tiny answers/no conversation

Google the "STAR" method of interviewing. It's very helpful. You can also find lots of "how to do well in an interview" websites. The more you know and practice, the easier the interview will be for you. Have some stories ready. They'll probably ask a typical, "Tell me about a time when you have to deal with a difficult person," question. It's soooo much easier when you are ready for it.

Also at the end of almost every interview, they usually ask, "Do you have any questions?' DO NOT SAY, "NO!" If you don't have any questions, you need to reiterate how you are really excited about the opportunity or you are eager to put your experience to work at something new, etc.

Spot version of star interviews.
STAR interviews:
The answer to your question(s) are pretty simple. During your interview be honest and yourself. They will ask you 4-5 situational questions (total of 3 rounds I believe) just to see what type of leader you are. Remember to paint them a picture because what they are looking for in each question that you answer is to be outlined in the following way:

Situation - how does your answer relate to the question
Example: tell me about a time you had to make a tough decison
You - During college ect..... <--- you are painting them a picture so tehy can visually see your answer.
Task - what did you have to accomplish/what what was the issue or problem
Action - how did you solve this issue/what steps were taken.
Result - what was the final outcome.

Overall be upbeat. During the interview don't EVER put yourself down. Even with the famous questions "what is one think your previous supervisor would change or say that you need to work on." Turn the question about to something like: "One thing my past supervisor would stay that I can improve is sometimes I tend want to help out too much. If I see someone struggling I always try and offer assistance." Remember to turn a weakness into a strength (sorry I just got off work so if a lot does not make sense please don't blame me lol).

Coolnite7

Omgggg I have an interview on Monday 🥳🥳

You're good.
I'm not going to tell you to not worry cause you're gonna, but take my word for it, you can handle this.
If you can handle a self entitled Karen who wants to see the manager because she didn't get her outdated coupon, you can handle this.

Anytime you feel over your head take a breath and center yourself.
Listen to how you are talking, are you tossing in a bunch of umms or some other word to fill space?
Slow down, make your words count and think your sentences out before you say them.

Do you have resting bitch face?
Don't fake a constant smile but if you say something positive try to reinforce it with a good smile.

Reinforce the fact that you will be to work on time no matter what and show up to the interview about 15 minutes early, (not too early that's a little much).

You are a badass and can do this.

You have been in the front end of a multi million $ store. You have had to calm guests, say no with a smile,juggle 5 things at once and survived. You are interviewing for a receptionist position which you have proven you have skills for. Go in confident, not cocky. You would be a great asset for this company. Put your phone on silent. No perfume or very little. Clean nails. Professional attire, no jeans, no sandals. No farty foods the night before.. That question at the end of every interview "do you have any questions for me?", think of one! Make it relevant to the position you are applying for not money or benefits! The only problem you are going to have is where to find the voluntary term form on workbench!
Deep breath
Head high
Shoulders back
Smile
You got this

Omggg thank you all so much, I’m so nervous but I have a good feeling 😭😭 I literally only own jeans so I’ll be buying ~dress pants~ on Sunday, also I only have my beat up pair of nikes that I wear to work and a pair of flip flops so gotta get some shoes too, might as well get a blouse while I’m at it ahhhh if I get the job I’d have my own desk I’m so excited 😭

You're good.
I'm not going to tell you to not worry cause you're gonna, but take my word for it, you can handle this.
If you can handle a self entitled Karen who wants to see the manager because she didn't get her outdated coupon, you can handle this.

Anytime you feel over your head take a breath and center yourself.
Listen to how you are talking, are you tossing in a bunch of umms or some other word to fill space?
Slow down, make your words count and think your sentences out before you say them.

Do you have resting bitch face?
Don't fake a constant smile but if you say something positive try to reinforce it with a good smile.

Reinforce the fact that you will be to work on time no matter what and show up to the interview about 15 minutes early, (not too early that's a little much).

You are a badass and can do this.
You’re the best 🥺❤️

Back