Resume Help

latest

Welp it’s Saturday late afternoon and I haven’t heard anything so I’m assuming I didn’t get it :/

When I was there for my trial day I was being trained by the current receptionist and it was up to him who to pick (between me and one other woman) and my friend overheard him say he liked the other woman better because she had more experience (she’s in her 40s) and he didn’t have to teach her as much. Meanwhile that was literally my first time in an office so I had to be taught every little thing ☹️

This just means that you weren't meant for this job right now. The job you are meant for is still out there. So hit the online job sites and boards. Let everyone you know (outside of Target) that you are ready to move on and are looking for a new job. Even in a hot job market it can take many applications and a few interviews to land the right job. Don't give up and good luck!

Sorry you didn’t get it. Don’t be too hard on yourself. That 40 year old lady with all her experience was in your shoes once. She’s doing fine, and you will, too, maybe the next job that you apply for you will be the one with more experience. If you want to get into office work, maybe you could take community college courses for that, or volunteer to work a few hours in a charity office for on the job training. Just a couple of thoughts, and if the 40 year old doesn’t work out, you may get a second chance there. Good luck and never give up!

Welp it’s Saturday late afternoon and I haven’t heard anything so I’m assuming I didn’t get it :/

When I was there for my trial day I was being trained by the current receptionist and it was up to him who to pick (between me and one other woman) and my friend overheard him say he liked the other woman better because she had more experience (she’s in her 40s) and he didn’t have to teach her as much. Meanwhile that was literally my first time in an office so I had to be taught every little thing ☹

That is going to be a consistent challenge for a while.
When it comes down to breaking into the office jobs after working retail all this time there are going to be a lot of people with more experience.

One thing you can do is pick up some training on the side.
There are on line training for Windows, Excel, Outlook, etc. that you can do on your own time.
I know it seems weird to study something you have used often but there are many tricks and aspects to the programs you will have to use everyday in an office setting that you probably haven't at school or in every day life.
I can get the list of sites on Tuesday when I'm at work.

Also take a look at the skills you have developed doing retail and see how they can be transferred to the office setting.
You might be surprised.
Work on developing those transferable skills.
Soft skills especially since companies often find they can't train people in those.
It's easy to train someone how to use a computer, no so easy to train them to be pleasant and friendly to other people.

@Leo47 sorry I didn't get these sooner, work has been a freaking nightmare.

The online learning program is GCFLearnfree.org https://edu.gcfglobal.org/en/topics/
They have tutorials on just about every program you will run across in an office and they have typing tutorials to get your speed up.

Also check out Kahn University on YouTube, they have free courses on a ton of different subjects.

Your local library may also have hundreds of online learning programs that can be accessed with just your library card.
The one in Anchorage is called Lynda but it may be called something else in your area.

Yep, if you don't have one, go to your local library and sign up for a card. While you are there ask if they have a jobs center where you can get help, and ask about all their online offerings. Contrary to current popular belief, brick and mortar libraries are still needed and offer more than most people think they do.

Good luck with this new endeavor getting out of Tarshit is amazing. Especially with covid running around the less people you work with the less of risk. Tarshit is definitely not one of them. I wish you success.

Congrats and good luck! Enjoy Life after Target! Keep in touch and let us know how you’re doing (you will be awesome).😁

Back