Archived Resume

Status
Not open for further replies.

pellinore

Life sucks and nothing good can come of it.
OK....so I have my resume all finished. What do I do now?

I know that I'm supposed to post it...but where, how and how do I look for jobs?

HELP!!

I've no idea how to job search on the internet....any thoughts, ideas, and guidance will be greatly appreciated!

A place I found is indeed.com .
Has actually got me a couple of call backs as opposed to Monster and the gov placement site.
It's kind of a Google for jobs.

Look for any job boards that your state or local governments have. Monster, Careerbuilder, or Hotjobs. Go to company websites that you want to work at for or have experience to work at. Online newspaper or TV station classifieds. Career Fairs. Check to see if your old or any local schools have any job search help. LinkedIn is a great way of making business contacts.

Now I've got a few places to start.

Thank-you everyone for your ideas and advice. I promise that I will let you all know how things are going.

I'm first going to start by seeing what these websites have to offer......I'm feeling very positive about this right now!

Also, even though it may seem counterintuitive, if you have any places in mind that you think you either might like to work at for whatever reason or have the right qualifications for, go ahead and apply with them, online or in person ( in the extremely unlikely event that anyone still does that ), whether they're hiring or not.

You never know-someone at the place you're eyeing for a gig might put in their two weeks, and you could be right there at the right time, before they even get a vhance to post the job listing!

Good luck!

Wish I was brave (or pissed off) enough to follow your lead.
What Oye said, too.

Don't forget the hidden job market: connections. I know it may be difficult, but many jobs are from word of mouth. I would have never found the agency I work at now if one of my classmates in college never told me about it.

Don't forget the hidden job market: connections. I know it may be difficult, but many jobs are from word of mouth. I would have never found the agency I work at now if one of my classmates in college never told me about it.

I got my new job because someone I worked with at Target recommended me..happens all the time. BTW, she messaged me on FB lol

Wish I was brave (or pissed off) enough to follow your lead.
What Oye said, too.

Red, it has taken me months to get my resume together. I think I started to think about doing something after getting a 13 cent raise at my review. Also, I've got a GSTL that I cannot stand to be around (I've mentioned this issue in other threads). I've begun to hate having to go to work. The work environment has become unhealthy for me....and I've learned that an unhealthy work place can do a great deal of damage.

I LOVE what I do....yes, I really LOVE what I do. But "loving" what I do becomes less important as the environment becomes more unhealthy.

I've been at my store since we first set-up to open (I'm a seven year Target veteran)...I've been very "connected" to my store....but over these last few months it just doesn't feel like it is "my store." It's just "another Target."

In the past few weeks, I've had three cashiers leave (one went to another store, one went to another job, and the last one has moved over to our Starbucks). I figure that if these three girls can make these changes, I can, too.

I've talked about leaving before, but now the circumstances have pointed me to try another avenue..and I'm pretty certain that this new direction doesn't include Target.

It is scarey, but my health is the most important thing to me.

I'd like to be out of Target before we get to Black Thursday, but I don't think it will happen....but with 4th quarter coming up it'll be easier to be proactive. I also think that in telling others about my goal then it might help to move me along. It'll help to keep me accountable.

I know that I'm supposed to post it...but where, how and how do I look for jobs?

HELP!!

I've no idea how to job search on the internet....any thoughts, ideas, and guidance will be greatly appreciated!

HEY EVERYONE! It's been a couple months since I've stopped in, and I just had to say WAY TO GO Pellinore! There are definitely bigger and better opportunities out there, all it takes is just getting up the nerve to step out of your comfort zone to find the right fit! I agree that Indeed.com and Craigslist are great places to look, but I got my new job through a friend's recommendation. Talk with people you know and see if they love their job and if their jobs are hiring! Word of mouth and connections are excellent ways to get a new job, and with a new job comes new perspectives on your own life!

Also, since I know I always love updates, thought I'd just let the community know it's been just about 3 months since I left Spot and I just was promoted to management at my new company :) and I am MUCH happier now! This job is a much better fit with my personality and the management all the way up through the District/Regional staff is wonderfully nice and happy to help you move up if that's what you want to do. Now THAT is the kind of company I can align myself with!

Good Luck Pellinore and any of you other awesome folks who are pursuing your own happy work/career endings <3

Was wondering whether you'd dropped off the planet - glad to know you landed in a better place.

HELP!!

HEY EVERYONE! It's been a couple months since I've stopped in, and I just had to say WAY TO GO Pellinore! There are definitely bigger and better opportunities out there, all it takes is just getting up the nerve to step out of your comfort zone to find the right fit! I agree that Indeed.com and Craigslist are great places to look, but I got my new job through a friend's recommendation. Talk with people you know and see if they love their job and if their jobs are hiring! Word of mouth and connections are excellent ways to get a new job, and with a new job comes new perspectives on your own life!

Also, since I know I always love updates, thought I'd just let the community know it's been just about 3 months since I left Spot and I just was promoted to management at my new company :) and I am MUCH happier now! This job is a much better fit with my personality and the management all the way up through the District/Regional staff is wonderfully nice and happy to help you move up if that's what you want to do. Now THAT is the kind of company I can align myself with!

Good Luck Pellinore and any of you other awesome folks who are pursuing your own happy work/career endings <3

Thanks for the update!

Pellinore and others looking to get out, a little advise: when asked reason for leaving, never say anything negative. A great answer is inconsistant number of hours. Anyone with bills to pay will understand this. Say it's very hard to budget when you work 40 hrs one week and 16 the next.

Really? Months to prepare a resume? I've never taken more than 20 minutes to put together a resume and have gotten almost every job I've ever applied for. My advice is to tailor your basic resume to the job you are trying to apply for. Put together a simple basic resume and adjust it as necessary.

Also network network network. Jobs sites are a dime a dozen and hiring managers basically use them as sort of a last resort. Most hirings actually come from word of mouth, believe it or not.

Remember that when you send in a blind resume, it is just added to a stack of probably hundreds of resumes. Maybe 1 out of a 100 get the hiring manager's attention and those are then prioritized for initial interviews. From there, they decide who to pass on and who to pass over. So of the 1000 resumes, maybe 10 get interviews and maybe 2 or 3 get sent over for more interviews and further consideration. So tailor the resume to get their attention for the job you are trying to get.

Yes, it took months....not to do the resume so much as to get the courage up to get working on it and complete it.

I know that the job application process can be slow and cumbersome. It may take me quite awhile to get a job, but I'm not going to leave Target for another job until I feel comfortable with wherever I'm offered a job. While I dislike my current position I'm at least lucky enough to be working and can afford the opportunity to be choosy. Ideally, I'd love to be out of Target before Black Thursday...will it happen? Maybe. I just know that, for me, the whole job search process is difficult....and it is very different now than it was seven years ago when I first came to Target....and to add to this process, I'm not very computer/internet savvy and that is scarey, too.

So, one step at a time....even if the step took me months to get my resume completed. I'm at least moving forward, maybe not very quickly, but each small step gets me that much closer to getting another job.

Hey, just a quick update on the job search process.....got my resume posted on a couple of web places. Haven't heard anything, but that's no surprise...it will happen.

Really took a HUGE gamble with job networking......gave some of my info to a guest at my store who, I hope, might be able to help me out....sure do hope that nothing backfires regarding sharing my info. This is one time when I'm glad that Target cameras don't record sound!

I've another guest that is a business owner that mentioned to me (the first time I ever asked this guest what his business is) that if I was interested in "getting some more work hours" to stop by his business. Got a slight problem....while I know who he is, I've no idea what his name is and I'd look like a fool stopping in at his place if I have no idea of his name! Also, I've got to check on the location of his business....it might be more of a distance than I'd like to drive. I'll just have to wait and see and hope he comes to the store soon.

Anyway, I've got my toes in the water and things are slowing moving along.....but the good part is that things ARE MOVING forward.

I've got a B.A. double major in Elementary Education and Education for the Hearing Impaired. I discovered after graduating and substitute teaching that I wasn't quite sure that I'd found the right career. The area in which I live is an area that has high competition rates for teaching....and at the time of my graduation and then three years of looking for a job I decided to try something else.

Over the years I've done a lot of work in the food and beverage industry (talk about having to work on holidays!) At the hotel I worked at the "dining room" was opened every day and big holidays were usually busy with special buffets. Holidays like Easter, Mother's day, Christmas, New Years, and Thanksgiving were days of our biggest revenue. The good thing about the big holiday schedules is that everyone was required to work, but most shifts were 4 to 6 hours long. This way everyone had to work a little and everyone got to spend time with family.

During summer vacations I worked at a family entertainment park.

I've been a receptionist for a major industrial publishing company. I've worked at an indoor sports facility (talk about working holidays.....any long weekend had soccer tournaments or ice hockey tournaments.)

Now I work at Target.

Over the years I've had many times when I worked a full time job as well as a part time job.

Well, I think I've probably told you much more than you were asking for.....you wanted my educational background but you got my life work history!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back