Archived Retailers that are closing lots of their stores this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: They reopened the Sams Clubs here in Alaska but they will all be closed down by the last week in January.
The bush and restaurant orders that were in process will be filled but that's it.
I guess a bunch of the Sams employees went over to Walmart to apply and were told they had to wait.
For what I don't know.

Update: They reopened the Sams Clubs here in Alaska but they will all be closed down by the last week in January.
The bush and restaurant orders that were in process will be filled but that's it.
I guess a bunch of the Sams employees went over to Walmart to apply and were told they had to wait.
For what I don't know.
I have friends in Fairbanks. Apparently traffic was crazy. Hours waiting in line, police were there to keep order.

Anyone ever go to a Hills department store? All of my early shopping memories are of Hills. They were bought by Ames then went out of business completely a few years later. I heard that someone was making and selling a candle in the scent of ‘Hills Snack Bar’ lol

That is awesome. Better jobs, better pay too.
Not all Costcos are union. My BFF works in a non-union Costco. She got automatic raises once she had worked a certain number of hours. I want to say she started at $11 in 2013 and is now at $19 and will top-out at $21 in two more years. She is not a supervisor either.

Fun Fact: My husband was one of the first Price Club employees in San Diego. I think that he was employee #50? (He worked there in high school. Too bad he didn't stay and take stock instead of pay.)

That is awesome. Better jobs, better pay too.
Not all Costcos are union. My BFF works in a non-union Costco. She got automatic raises once she had worked a certain number of hours. I want to say she started at $11 in 2013 and is now at $19 and will top-out at $21 in two more years. She is not a supervisor either.

Fun Fact: My husband was one of the first Price Club employees in San Diego. I think that he was employee #50? (He worked there in high school. Too bad he didn't stay and take stock instead of pay.)

Oh, most of the Costco's are nonunion because they treat their people well and they don't feel they need one.
But in the cases where the people have chosen to organize, Costco doesn't fight it unlike other retail companies.

Oh, most of the Costco's are nonunion because they treat their people well and they don't feel they need one.
But in the cases where the people have chosen to organize, Costco doesn't fight it unlike other retail companies.

In San Diego, you can have union and non-union stores within 10 miles of each other. I think that the older ones might all be union? My BFF works at one of the newer ones. No idea really. Other than there are BS politics there, just like anywhere, overall, it is an excellent place to work.

This sucks. I can spend hours here. I hate to see layoffs but they need to regroup. Hopefully they will not go the way of Borders. I am a rare breed that loves to read a book or magazine not on an electronic device. Shockingly I have never ordered from Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back