Archived Retailers that are closing lots of their stores this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It also really sucks for Puerto Rico...they're still so impacted by those hurricanes. Some places don't even have power yet, according to what I've read.

Last I saw only a little over half of the country had power. It's awful.

Wow, I used to live near the Renton, Wa sams. That one was always busy. Sad to see it closing.

Pretty disgusting considering they tried to cover over it by announcing their wage increase and bonuses to employees. . . Wonder if target would play those sick games down the road. . .
I wouldn’t be surprised but more than likely in an emergency situation where buildings are determined to be unfit for occupancy. The trend lately though has been 3 months notice.

I wouldn’t be surprised but more than likely in an emergency situation where buildings are determined to be unfit for occupancy. The trend lately though has been 3 months notice.
Wally World locations are getting power from US contractors in Puerto Rico.

Wow, I used to live near the Renton, Wa sams. That one was always busy. Sad to see it closing.

I use to shop their too. Their gas was a great deal and the Talbot hill exit made it really accessible. Time is changing!

We switched to Costco when we moved to this place. They're awesome and I've heard they're pretty good to work for, too.

Last edited:
Sam's actually called the police for our stores to keep the employees and customers from the store.
They handle a lot of the bush (what we call all the area in Alaska that can't be reached by road, the villages) orders and many of those were just cancelled which means the villages won't have food.
Pretty fucked up.

Sam's actually called the police for our stores to keep the employees and customers from the store.
They handle a lot of the bush (what we call all the area in Alaska that can't be reached by road, the villages) orders and many of those were just cancelled which means the villages won't have food.
Pretty fucked up.

Can Costco handle the orders? They have stores in Fairbanks and Anchorage too.

I had a free membership at Sam's for about 5 years. I only used it because it was free.

Can Costco handle the orders? They have stores in Fairbanks and Anchorage too.

I had a free membership at Sam's for about 5 years. I only used it because it was free.

Actually Costco doesn't have a Fairbanks store but everybody has been begging them to build one and maybe now they will.
Costco will certainly take over the orders but it's a lot and from scratch.

I'm actually appalled by the lack of CostCo's and Sam's Clubs in my area, each one is at least a 40 minute drive in the other direction from my house. I know there's a few members who that have left to work at CostCo and have been treated very nicely, lots of raises and growth opportunity. I wouldn't half mind making a career out of CostCo.

but, yeah, it's pretty shitty that Walmart raises it's starting wage and expands it's benefits just to close out something like 64 Sam's Club stores without any good reason other than money and doing so extremely abruptly, and now thousands of previous Sam's Club employees are out of work. Also can't forget what Commie said about the villages now going to be out of food since their orders have been cancelled. Just a shitty corporate move in general.

"Hey, everyone! We've just raised our starting wage and expanded our benefits!" while Sam's Clubs are shut down with no real notice and workers of Sams Club get fucked. It's just business, nothing personal lmao

Last edited:
I'm just surprised a company with as much net worth like Walmart can't seriously afford a $1 raise to all Walmart employees, so they cut out other subsidies. If I recall Target didn't do that, we closed a few stores, but making up the loss with gaining all those closed stores back in new areas and we actually planned to open even more after that, so it's really a win while still offering that new starting wage.

Target has no where near the same net worth as Walmart and can actually handle to close stores but come back and build just as many and more, and just for clarity Walmart has $250,000,000,000($250 billion) to their name... while Target has only $40,000,000,000($40 billion) to their name, that's a $
-$210,000,000,000(-$210 billion) difference.

I'd say financially underperforming is a good reason. Same reason Target or any other company uses.

In the 15 miles from the nearest Sam's Club, there are six Costcos that are closer.

Actually Costco doesn't have a Fairbanks store but everybody has been begging them to build one and maybe now they will.
Costco will certainly take over the orders but it's a lot and from scratch.

It will still take forever if they even intend to, and now many of the restaurants and small businesses in the interior are going to get screwed on pricing. I Know that lot of restaurants in Fairbanks relied on Sams for their basics.

So my Sam's is closing in 2 weeks. Today they put up a huge "now hiring" sign. And their parking lot was PACKED.

:eek:

How is 2 weeks enough time to interview, run background check and orientations?? I mean, I assume this is essentially seasonal help to deal with the last rush of customers and to load up the remnants to go back to the DC, but still. This boggles my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back