Archived RFID (Formally FRID)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I managed to insert myself into helping with tag up. My one istm is on vacation this week, the istl was of Monday and called out today. We go live tomorrow...

my rollout starts tomorrow at 4am; bright and early. ill come back with how it goes. if anyone else has tips from their encoding process, they would be very much appreciated.

my rollout starts tomorrow at 4am; bright and early. ill come back with how it goes. if anyone else has tips from their encoding process, they would be very much appreciated.
When tagging be careful to check carefully to see if it's already tagged. May seem obvious to do but some of the labels are really rather hidden like on the inside of the back of the price tag for things like the fabric placemats.

We almost tagged 30-40 of a single DPCI before discovering how hidden the thing was. (We applied, but did not encode 6-7 labels already)

I had my training today. I almost actually got to look at the screen of one of only 2 scanners that we will have. I have some questions:
1) What is the purpose of this? I was told that it is to have an accurate on hands count.
a) How will that work if locations are filled beyond capacity and we are not also scanning the backroom?
b) How does this really assist with FF? (Example: Flex Fullfilment - scanner says there are 3 on the floor; 1 is in its home spot, 1 is flexed onto
an endcap, 1 has walked out the door. How does this help with FF?
2) I was told that the IS team will scan the RFID list and then go back to scan the Research list since RFID does not generate pulls.
a) Will there be additional hours for this?
b) Does RFID have time limitations?
3) What happens if/when you don't find all of the items in the list? I assume there will be a report of some sort generated and somebody takes the fall for this. Have the metrics been established and blame assigned?
4) How long does prep REALLY take?
5) Is there a way to generate multiple labels without typing in the UPC for every single item every single time? (Example: 15 shirts need labels. Since we can't scan the UPC to generate the label it must now be typed 15 separate times?)
6) Most efficient method to prep the backroom? Our wacos are packed!

I had my training today. I almost actually got to look at the screen of one of only 2 scanners that we will have. I have some questions:
1) What is the purpose of this? I was told that it is to have an accurate on hands count.
it counts physical chips, by magic wand not physical counting
a) How will that work if locations are filled beyond capacity and we are not also scanning the backroom?
not sure
b) How does this really assist with FF? (Example: Flex Fullfilment - scanner says there are 3 on the floor; 1 is in its home spot, 1 is flexed onto
because it counts physical chips it can bring you to where the item was last scanned. Not where it should be.
2) I was told that the IS team will scan the RFID list and then go back to scan the Research list since RFID does not generate pulls.
not sure about time limit, but doubtful on more hours
3) What happens if/when you don't find all of the items in the list? I assume there will be a report of some sort generated and somebody takes the fall for this. Have the metrics been established and blame assigned?
we've been working on it for two weeks
5) Is there a way to generate multiple labels without typing in the UPC for every single item every single time? (Example: 15 shirts need labels. Since we can't scan the UPC to generate the label it must now be typed 15 separate times?)
our fitting room operator worked on making tags for everything so this wasn't a problem. Everything had a barcode to scan.
I didn't help with this sorry
My answers are in bold.

1A) It just counts how many are present in the store. Capacity means nothing for this. You will be scanning backroom (hanging/still in repacks etc - just not what is STOd into locations)
1B) If FF can't find a shirt, you can use the RFID scaner to walk around all of softlines until it shows on the myDevice that you found that item (It has a bar that fills up the closer you get)
2) The RFID Cycle scan has to be done by noon of either wednesday or thursday depending on your store's region. Additional hours..I doubt it.
3) There isn't really a list, it literally just counts everything as you walk by. It will generate a list of things it counted as you go though in some form or another. 92% of what is expected is acceptable for the first scan and 98% for subsequent scans.
4) A long while. Took my store about 14 hours for the backroom I believe, an overnight for softlines, and multiple days for other portions of the store and we're still not done encoding.
5) We just tossed anything missing a barcode aside to deal with after all else is done.
6) Was done before I got in so I don't know

because it counts physical chips it can bring you to where the item was last scanned. Not where it should be.
It doesn't know where an item was last scanned. It literally just searches and reads all nearby RFID chips until it finds one matching the DPCI you entered and shows a bar for how strong the signal is (how close you are)

It doesn't know where an item was last scanned. It literally just searches and reads all nearby RFID chips until it finds one matching the DPCI you entered and shows a bar for how strong the signal is (how close you are)
This is going to be so helpful for finding softlines for FF!!! Though it will probably be time consuming walking around RTW to find the one item that's not where it's supposed to be.

Are most stores getting 2 scanners? it would be great to have one usually available for FF since we only have one instocks TM.

When I was shown, it also beeped. Kind of like a metal detector, it beeped faster and faster as the faser gun got closer to the correct item.

Not sure. I just got some quick training. Going to start prepping next week so we haven't started really using them yet.

We have been told it has been taking stores 6 to 8 hours to complete the scan. Our scan day is Wednesday. That is also a truck day for us. This should be fun.

1A) It just counts how many are present in the store. Capacity means nothing for this. You will be scanning backroom (hanging/still in repacks etc - just not what is STOd into locations)
1B) If FF can't find a shirt, you can use the RFID scaner to walk around all of softlines until it shows on the myDevice that you found that item (It has a bar that fills up the closer you get)
2) The RFID Cycle scan has to be done by noon of either wednesday or thursday depending on your store's region. Additional hours..I doubt it.
3) There isn't really a list, it literally just counts everything as you walk by. It will generate a list of things it counted as you go though in some form or another. 92% of what is expected is acceptable for the first scan and 98% for subsequent scans.
4) A long while. Took my store about 14 hours for the backroom I believe, an overnight for softlines, and multiple days for other portions of the store and we're still not done encoding.
5) We just tossed anything missing a barcode aside to deal with after all else is done.
6) Was done before I got in so I don't know

Of course it was explained wrong then. No big surprise there.

Most stores got two units to encode. Ours live at gs, we'll see how that works out.

During the tag up process, did you guys tag all those vinyl placemats in kitchen?

Yeah, we did. As long as they were in the list of dept/class we have to tag during phase 1, yeah.

How big is your team that is doing the encoding process? When we did it, there were about 5 or 6 of us doing it. We ended up finishing everything in about 6 days. Don't encode as you go, it'll take longer that way. What we did that helped us out is that we had all of us pulling stuff needed to be encoded for the first hour or so (until there was a substantial amount to encode) then two of us would encode while the rest of us continued to pull. As soon as there was a huge chunk already encoded then one or two of us would stop pulling from the shelves and work on the reshop (since they were already encoded not much else has to be done other than put items back). Also have the whole team work on one dept as a whole. Instead of having you guys split up it'll at least seem like you guys got a lot done by finishing auditing a whole dept in one day. That's all I pretty much have for now. Let me know how it goes.

Last edited:
Yeah, we did. As long as they were in the list of dept/class we have to tag during phase 1, yeah.

How big is your team that is doing the encoding process? When we did it, there were about 5 or 6 of us doing it. We ended up finishing everything in about 6 days. Don't encode as you go, it'll take longer that way. What we did that helped us out is that we had all of us pulling stuff needed to be encoded for the first hour or so (until there was a substantial amount to encode) then two of us would encode while the rest of us continued to pull. As soon as there was a huge chunk already encoded then one or two of us would stop pulling from the shelves and work on the reshop (since they were already encoded not much else has to be done other than put items back). Also have the whole team work on one dept as a whole. Instead of having you guys split up it'll at least seem like you guys got a lot done by finishing auditing a whole dept in one day. That's all I pretty much have for now. Let me know how it goes.

It was myself and a flow TM in the back. Today we tackled bath, dom, and beds. It took us from 4a-8am to pull go through the open stock and pull down the unencoded case stock. It was made a longer process that it should have because multiple boxes of the casestock werent labeled as RFID enabled so we pulled them down; upon opening they WERE encoded. Cool thank you for making the process more frustrating. Either way, I did the lower casepacks and open casestock while she took care of the upper casepacks. We staged it onto pallets until we had pulled everything.

On the floor, there were 3 tms and my etl. They finished all of mens c9, RTW, womens performance, sunglasses, and most of boys/girls. Tomorrow they will finish boys/girls and take on domestics.

Since they were done on the floor, we both had a sled which made encoding quick. I toyed with some methods. The one that worked best for me was to lay out as much product into rows on the table (we took the pallets into our training room) and stickered it all. Then i went down the rows and encoded them all. With a 30 min thrown in and a few interruptions we finished around 10a.

After day one I have the same advice as the others: 1)pull and stage in the back, then encode and 2) hold the sled as close to the barcode as possible or else it will give you an error message

During my shift, a gaggle of leaders kept going from aisle to aisle in the backroom, and it sounded like they were having all kinds of problems with their devices. We use RFID technology at my other job, and the encoding process wasn't nearly this complicated.

dept 036 was awful today. piles upon hills upon mountains of unencoded product. not to mention the dc is continuing to send us unencoded items. So tomorrow we have to audit the backroom again.

Why spot, why?

We haven't started a thing. 2 IS tms will be able to finish it all within three 6 hour shifts next week. Sigh.

So.. we're supposed to be doing our first scan today... it's already a mess. This is gonna be great :rolleyes:

Soft lines reshop all around, RFID items in Backroom all over the place, clothing tables a mess, and taking a truck (with push still left over from the last 2 days). 92%? I don't think so.

We are supposed to do ours sometime this month and have heard nothing, no training, nada.

I am supposed to do it next week with another tm , we have 6 hours to do it ...
6 freaking hours ...
And so far no training ...
Not surprised anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back