Archived Scanning Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Michigan, there is a law type thing where if something rings up more than it should, there is a payout beyond the price difference

Example: Joe buys a candy bar for $0.99 but it is ticketed $0.79

In most cases Joe would just get his $0.20 difference but in Michigan we have something that gives him back 10x the difference up to $5 + the difference, so Joe would get $2.20 back for inconveniences or whatever

Now, most of the time POS recognizes this and hashes out the math nicely

My question, do other states have this? Its a real pain if for whatever reason it isn't letting us do a FixItFast and have to call Refund Authorization because trying to explain to them a scan law is near impossible lol

No, thank god I do not have to do that. It would be a NIGHTMARE.

In Michigan, there is a law type thing where if something rings up more than it should, there is a payout beyond the price difference

Example: Joe buys a candy bar for $0.99 but it is ticketed $0.79

In most cases Joe would just get his $0.20 difference but in Michigan we have something that gives him back 10x the difference up to $5 + the difference, so Joe would get $2.20 back for inconveniences or whatever

Now, most of the time POS recognizes this and hashes out the math nicely

My question, do other states have this? Its a real pain if for whatever reason it isn't letting us do a FixItFast and have to call Refund Authorization because trying to explain to them a scan law is near impossible lol

Its called Bounty and my store stopped has doing this because there are people who go around and abuse this. *I Live in MI Also* The laws changed around september to where some items do not need to be ticketed. *Pop coolers/Cards on the trading card wall ect ect*

Are you serious Alexandria. We have a hard enough time keeping up with price challenges from expired signing and price change not using sticky labels to save time. Thank you for my google search subject matter tonight.

Usually it isn't a huge problem but we get this family who comes in. The parents tell their kids to check a section of the store for ANYTHING ticketed.

They later compile items and check pricing via the scanners.

Some parenting that is...

Usually it isn't a huge problem but we get this family who comes in. The parents tell their kids to check a section of the store for ANYTHING ticketed.

They later compile items and check pricing via the scanners.

Some parenting that is...

Reminds me of those people who use coupons only if the item's on sale and they can get cash back for the overage or the people who buy carts full of stuff with coupons and then return everything in order to get the full refund.
I remember when CT had a ticketing law. My store was so happy when the state did away with it. I know when I lived in CT, I'd shop in MA sometimes and they had a ticketing law too. I wonder if they still do.

Reminds me of those people who use coupons only if the item's on sale and they can get cash back for the overage or the people who buy carts full of stuff with coupons and then return everything in order to get the full refund.
I remember when CT had a ticketing law. My store was so happy when the state did away with it. I know when I lived in CT, I'd shop in MA sometimes and they had a ticketing law too. I wonder if they still do.

Yeah its unfortunate, coupon fraud is big at my store as well however our TPS has been doing their best to prevent it.

This law seams pretty stupid and just a scam. I mean I understand it's annoying when things don't ring up the right price. But what about all those crazy guests that switch tickets? The one peeling off clearance tickets and placing them on other items or the ones that come in the store with tagged guns and switch tags on Softlines items as they try them on? I mean seriously come on what kind of bogus law is this? And we wonder why businesses are struggling whatever. I hate politics.

But what about all those crazy guests that switch tickets? The one peeling off clearance tickets and placing them on other items or the ones that come in the store with tagged guns and switch tags on Softlines items as they try them on? I mean seriously come on what kind of bogus law is this? And we wonder why businesses are struggling whatever. I hate politics.

THIS!! Are you listening, NYS?? Oh, of course you're not...

This law seams pretty stupid and just a scam. I mean I understand it's annoying when things don't ring up the right price. But what about all those crazy guests that switch tickets? The one peeling off clearance tickets and placing them on other items or the ones that come in the store with tagged guns and switch tags on Softlines items as they try them on? I mean seriously come on what kind of bogus law is this? And we wonder why businesses are struggling whatever. I hate politics.

This is why I'm glad that most softlines items have the tiny DPCI tag inside because, even if they switch tags, the description usually doesn't match. Many ALSO have the yr that the item was in season on the hang tag. Pretty cool.

This is why I'm glad that most softlines items have the tiny DPCI tag inside because, even if they switch tags, the description usually doesn't match. Many ALSO have the yr that the item was in season on the hang tag. Pretty cool.

Yup, I had a guest try to return something from the Mossimo Red collection, and apparently that hasn't been around for years (at least at my store) and the numbers came up as a camping set or something lol

They had attached the tag to some $30 dress but the tag was for jeans or something.

Using Merch Lookup on the register will almost always show you clothing color/size, in case something seems odd about the DPCI.

Using Merch Lookup on the register will almost always show you clothing color/size, in case something seems odd about the DPCI.

That sounds really handy........if it didn't take 20 min for Merch Locate to load.

Yes but do the guest service desks team members check that tag before returning? No. Durin missoni we had them accept a homemade knitted sweater with a missoni tag that was bright neon green. I mean come on!

Yes but do the guest service desks team members check that tag before returning? No. Durin missoni we had them accept a homemade knitted sweater with a missoni tag that was bright neon green. I mean come on!

...which is why I think it would be great for SLTMs to work at SD on an occassional basis. They could really pick out the fraud!

I have noticed the few times I've used it lately it seems to be a little bit faster. Not much faster, just a little bit.

It's slower than molasses-in-the-winter on the dinosaur IBM registers. When we got the new NCR registers last summer, I noticed it was still slow, but a lot faster than on the old registers. Of course, I found this out the 2nd time I tried it on the NCR machines - the first time, the register froze!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back