Archived Scanning the truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

whippingboy

Produce Peon
Suddenly our log team is required to scan the truck every morning, putting them behind two hours on load days. They were told that corporate requires it, and has required it but it's something that's been overlooked until now. Scanning should tell you if the item is push or backstock; however each time they've scanned, all items are push and it seems a waste of time! Who has the extra hours to do this?

Is this normal procedure for most stores?

At our store they always scanned every piece as it came off the truck.
Am I misunderstanding what's being said here?
How do you know what's blackline, etc?
The TL, ETL or flow captain usually did the scanning at the corner of the rollers when it came off the truck.
When I helped flow at Christmas I would grab toys at the corner like a station to put on separate pallets and got blackmarked one time cause things were going so fast.

Push all 4am (freezer/dairy team for a Super). I'm not sure how the rest of the unload goes, but they've never had to scan their own before. It's going to be an interesting week.

We are a push all store...having to bs all the bs pallets after the unload is a pain. However, now with the push all it just comes back later in the day on the tubs, flats, etc . The flow team does take Trans. merchandise off while they are unloading and we either bs it or it gets striped etc.

I don't understand how this requires an extra TWO HOURS?

Like @commiecorvus said, my store also has someone on the line right at the trailer door scanning each box as it comes off the truck. The people throwing the boxes down and the person pushing it out of the trailer make sure the boxes are facing label-side up for easy scanning.

The ONLY time this has slowed down the unload is when the PDAs are down and the person has to read each label to determine if its backstock/transition or not.

They've been saying that some boxes are unlabeled or the stickers aren't scanning. And now they are trying to get produce to come on earlier so we can scan our own (yeah right, they can't get us to come in to cull let alone scan boxes from the truck)

Wait are you talking about FDC trucks?

They've been saying that some boxes are unlabeled or the stickers aren't scanning. And now they are trying to get produce to come on earlier so we can scan our own (yeah right, they can't get us to come in to cull let alone scan boxes from the truck)
Are you talking about scanning the FDC or the RDC trucks? And scanning labels shouldn't take that long at all. And if the box is unlabeled you can scan an available upc if it doesn't have that available you just push it along.

It would have saved us all a lot of time if you had specified FDC from the beginning.

I've never heard of scanning the entirety of an FDC trailer, we only do one in the PUSH function and close the trailer afterward. Not sure of the implication of scanning one or all, seems rather pointless.

I've never heard of that before.

Why don't you just push out one pallet at a time and leave the PDA on top for everyone to use? Everyone pushing can grab a box and scan it before working it out.

The only reason for them to want FDC scanned would be for an issue at the FDC itself. I don't know about you guys but they've been screwing up my on-hands lately. I even had them cut a box of produce and still send it to me. Technically you should acknowledge the FDC truck, push it by scanning whatever number of pallet labels you have and then close that truck. So basically my theory is, your FDC is doing an audit or someone misinterpreted the instructions and is breaking down the whole pallet when they don't need to.

Best practice for FDC is to use the line to breakdown pallets and sort them onto vehicles. But, you are only supposed to acknowledge the truck, then open the trailer in push and then immediately close the trailer. FDCs are push all by design. I'm not sure what good scanning would actually do. Even if it does send cases to backstock, I would want to try to push it anyway in case our accumulator is off.

We breakdown and sort dairy/freezer pallets in the cooler/freezer. Makes push go faster. Produce and meat pallets are pulled to the floor and worked. We don't use the line. We don't have enough people to make that process work efficiently.

With FDC our store actually did a smaller version of the regular line with flats instead of pallets.
They would break the pallets down in receiving and organize them according to to category as fast as possible, racing them back to the right place.
It took being really coordinated and was pretty effective as long as there was enough bodies.
I could see that way not being a problem for scanning as the pallets were broken down.

With FDC our store actually did a smaller version of the regular line with flats instead of pallets.
They would break the pallets down in receiving and organize them according to to category as fast as possible, racing them back to the right place.
It took being really coordinated and was pretty effective as long as there was enough bodies.
I could see that way not being a problem for scanning as the pallets were broken down.
That's best practice. We get afternoon deliveries so there's not anyone to do a breakout unless we take everyone off of the sales floor.

That's best practice. We get afternoon deliveries so there's not anyone to do a breakout unless we take everyone off of the sales floor.

Gotta love it when Best Practice is impossible because the Spot won't give you the manpower to carry out the very methods that they say are the how things should be done.
Frelling brilliant.

Is it ever going to get better? I don't know if anyone's been here long enough, but is this Spot at it's worst, or are there other instances? I've been interviewing lately and I've heard other companies suffering from data breaches, but they act as if bumps in the road happen and things eventually get better. I just can't see holding out for that long.

Ive never seen ours not scanning whenever ive been back there, about a third of each truck is prolly backstock which they palletize and it goes to le backroom.

Is it ever going to get better? I don't know if anyone's been here long enough, but is this Spot at it's worst, or are there other instances? I've been interviewing lately and I've heard other companies suffering from data breaches, but they act as if bumps in the road happen and things eventually get better. I just can't see holding out for that long.
In most ways this is the worse I have seen it..Spot has done a lot of changing and not for the better.

Truth! And, once I saw your sig I chant to myself, "not my circus, not my monkeys" on a daily basis to get my priorities straight. That phrase alone has saved my sanity over the past few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back