Archived Scheduled as GSA... I'm only a cashier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaylyn

"THIS SUM BULLS-...eye."
Alright, so I've covered breaks tons of times and my position is mostly at Guest Services (my favorite GSA let's me be on regular registers). Don't get me wrong, I mostly love it here. HOWEVER, I moved from a different city and quit my managerial job of four years there precisely to get away from this kind of pressure (which I learned I can not handle after starting to lose my hair and I became unable to eat due to closed throat muscles because of how tense I became constantly).

Today is Cyber Monday. Chaos and opposing instructions from the ETLs. No returns with Credit/Debit Receipt Look-up. Gift card system down. All GSAs and the GSTL in SFS. They scheduled me to be GSA. During my lunch I tried to drink some soda and it wouldn't go down my throat, I damn near choked on it. Water was almost as hard to swallow. Couldn't eat, became dizzy, couldn't take my last 15... I'm gonna be honest I teared up a little when I couldn't eat because I was starving. I'm not strong enough for this. They have me scheduled as GSA for the next two weekends and I just... So my question to y'all would be... Do you think there would be repercussions if I requested they NOT schedule me for those full GSA shifts? They don't have enough GSAs, and the ones they do have have limited availability. I do it for my GSTL because she's been pretty good to me and I know she depends on me to be a fill-in when they're struggling as they don't have too many people capable and knowledgable enough to do it. I just don't want to disappoint and I definitely don't want them to take it out on me when they're struggling to find someone else to fill in. Advice? Reprimands? Anyone wanna tell me I just need to "toughen up"?

Definitely talk to HR. There’s no need to risk your health over something that would be like a 50 cent raise (and you probably wouldn’t even get one since your work center is still probably Cashier). I would go straight to your ETL or HR and explain the situation exactly like you just did. If either of them are actually good at their job they’ll take you off the schedule for GSA and won’t do it again.

Talk to your schedule writer and let them know that while you're ok covering breaks, you can't do an entire GSA shift. They may not realize how difficult it is for you and assume it's ok unless you say something. Especially now that the pay differential is gone some GEs forget to have that sit-down conversation about your future, what do you want from the company, are you interested in the position, etc. They're rushing because it's Q4 and they're understaffed. They see you as a TM that can hold her own in the position as a bandaid to the problem. I'm not saying it's right, though.

If your schedule writer doesn't fix it then go to ETL-HR and have a sit-down conversation with them.

There would be no repercussions. It sounds like that you're not even a GSA in the system so they shouldn't be scheduling you as such in the first place.

As suggested above, talk to the scheduler (usually the ETL-GE or sometimes the GSTL; ASANTS). Having an honest sit-down convo with them explaining that you'd rather not deal with the stress of that position, but thanks for trusting [you] enough to schedule me for it, should suffice.
There shouldn't be any repercussion. If anything, they should've asked you first before crowning you with that position.

I wish they would have asked. I would have saved myself from A LOT of embarrassment and confrontation. When I asked my GSTL why my "Job" in Kronos said GSA, she said none of the actual GSAs were available and I was the only one available at the time that could do it. By "could do it" I think she meant she knew I would follow policies and call the LOD for any real problems. What's more, I don't get paid anything additional, I don't get GSTL keys and I definitely don't get a supervisor code. Just a walkie and the Save the Sale device.

I just remembered I didn't even do restroom check ups 'cause it was so hectic. :oops:

Especially now that the pay differential is gone some GEs forget to have that sit-down conversation about your future, what do you want from the company, are you interested in the position, etc. They're rushing because it's Q4 and they're understaffed. They see you as a TM that can hold her own in the position as a bandaid to the problem. I'm not saying it's right, though.

There would be no repercussions. It sounds like that you're not even a GSA in the system so they shouldn't be scheduling you as such in the first place.

You're right, I'm not GSA in the system. I had no idea they're supposed to have that sit down. I've been here a little over a year, should that have happened already?

I was told by another GSA a while ago, and I quote, "You DO know they've been training you to be GSA, right? That's what they're doing." Why would they do that and not tell me? I asked that GSA if I was allowed to say "no" and turn down the position because I really, really don't want it hoping she might take it back to whomever spilled to her that they were secretly training me for it.

It's a mess, but I'll definitely take the advice and talk to my GSTL (she prepares my schedules) about this.

Hey, you aren't alone. When I read your first paragraph, I blinked a couple of times, because I could have written it. I have the exact same problems under immense amounts of stress, and it sucks. I had it when I was a (very specific job title that will out me) in my former life. When I joined Spot to supplement my other income stream and ended up as a GSA/SEA, it came back with a roaring vengeance. I went down two pants sizes and people started asking me if I was sick. I was; I had acute "I hate being a GSA"-itis.

The key difference: I had the sit-down. Even if I had no idea what I was letting myself in for, it wasn't sprung on me. Someone should have had that conversation with you.

@LearningTree gives, umm, spot-on practical advice up there. There should be no repercussions, and no company is worth your health. Good luck.

First.....BREATH

Then make sure you are not coming down with something. Its the time of year for giving....disease. Strep, Flu, Colds, Mono...

Confirm what I am reading. You are currently a cashier. Your store wants you to work GSA shifts. Don't take on an additional role unless you want it. And then, you are provided proper training.

The last thing you want is to be assigned new roles, then be improperly trained, and have leadership blame you for something you didn't know or wasn't trained on.

Why would they do that and not tell me?
Honestly?

Because GSA is a shit position. It doesn't pay any more than cashier now that the minimum is $12, but comes with front-end-supervisor responsibilities (which I'm sure you're aware, but include cash office, "making it right for the guest," overrides, covering breaks, sending people on breaks/lunches, speed weaving, calling backup, cleaning up spills at the front end, and "other duties as assigned.")
Most cashiers don't want it, so Spot is in a tight spot (no pun intended) finding people willing to do supervisory work for $0.00 more than what they pay a cashier whose only responsibilities include scanning, bagging, and counting money.

Therefore, they'll look for the following qualities and try to make them GSAs:
  • "Smart" – someone who shows they can do more than just push buttons on the register, but is able to think on their feet. Helps other cashiers with common questions.
  • Wants supervisory experience – since many (not saying all) cashiers don't have supervisory experience, or some are just getting started in the workforce (think younger people), there's no better way to get ahead than GSA, especially if you're planning to make a career (even short-term) out of retail or Spot. With the younger demographic (most GSAs are young), this is perfect for Spot! Young, naive, desperate, and willing to do more for nothing more ("Expect more. Pay less.") than a few extra functions on the register and a clipboard.

Me? I already have management experience from another industry but don't mind doing GSA work if offered to me since I do supervision for a living elsewhere and I find it kind of fun to do something else.

Last edited:
We could just call them the GYA, "Guest Yes Attendant" because the answer will always be "yes." :p

Y'know, I have this one co-worker who is so firm and far more knowledgable than I am on policies but can only work weekend mornings and two night shifts of the week. Anyway, she is ALWAYS on top of it when it comes to letting the guests know what policies are and has ZERO problem saying "no". Of course, most GSAs don't back her up and LOD's almost NEVER do. I once mentioned out loud that she should apply for that position because she'd be great at it. The GSA I said it to replied with: "They wouldn't give it to her, she's far too negative." I work with her, and she's a very fun and upbeat person. The only time she deflates is when she'll straight up tell guests returning $150 worth of baby products (or electronic products) without a receipt, "I can only give you store credit for this amount. The value is too high for cash, plus the system won't even give me the option to refund you cash." They throw a fit, she'll get the GSA and they'll override to give them cash. Then and only then do I see her spirits get squished.

TLDR: GYA would be an accurate title.

I had a lady come in and demand a $5 gift card without buying the Elf on a Shelf plus accessory because "the other Target honored it" and I called over the LOD and she wouldn't get out of my line because she was sure LOD would take care of her.
LOD comes over and forces me to give her a $5 GC.

Thanks, LOD!

Apologies, @Amaylyn. I hope you don't see this as hijacking your thread, but if you read on you'll see why I didn't want to make a new one.

Wow. Got new schedule and discovered three SEA shifts on it (all mids). No one has discussed this with me. Yes, I used to do the job, but have made it clear I don't want it again. It's one of many reasons I changed stores. My gut tells me that with it being the week before Christmas, this may be temporary and I'll be acting as support to the others, hence the mid shifts. I don't want to have this foisted upon me once Christmas is over, though. I will deal with lines at GS, defuse upset guests, take people's stuff to their cars, cover flexes or do a whole shifts worth. I will even cover the break or meal of whoever's running the front, do basically anything front-end oriented. I do not want the perma-stress of that job again, though. The thought gives me a headache.

Of course, my Leader is off this weekend. Should I ask HR (who wrote the schedule), talk to my Lead, or wait for my Leader to come back? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back