Archived Scheduled Outside my Availability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a relatively new TM (my orientation was just over a month ago). I was hired at a mass hire event. At my store, there are no "department TMs," so I am responsible for learning ALL departments in the store.

At the time, I initially put that I am unavailable on Sundays due to prior commitments (church and afternoon/evening Bible studies) and other, personal, health issues. I was pressured to say I could work some afternoon hours that day (but only after 3pm which, still, means I had to give up a LOT of things for this job). I also said I cannot work before 10am on Saturdays due to a class I was taking at the time of my hire.

Despite having a few days I can work until close, I've been (fortunately) scheduled to work early morning/opening shifts (4am to 6am start) which I LOVE. Despite it being within my 90 days, I put in a request for an availability change. I opened up my availability so I can work from 4am to 8am on Saturdays and Sundays (so, I ADDED hours). I did this in hopes that it would keep me working early morning hours; I left a note specifying that I am NOT available between 8am and 10am on Saturdays and 8am and 3pm on Sundays.

This week, the schedule says I'm scheduled to work 5am to 1pm on Saturday which is outside of my availability. Problem is, I'm not sure how to handle this. If I say nothing, then my "availability" means nothing to them. If I fight it, I risk my hours being cut or being scheduled hours that are even "worse." (Rotating between opening and closing shifts, etc.) According to the schedule online, I'm also scheduled to work those same hours on Sunday which is NOT an option at ALL, but at past jobs, fighting my schedule NEVER worked out well.

I just don't know what to do. I regret not standing up for myself regarding my availability at the hiring event.

Talk to your ETL and TL.

If you are within your 90 days, you are pretty much stuck with the availability you signed up for.

Talk to your ETL and TL.

If you are within your 90 days, you are pretty much stuck with the availability you signed up for.

The availability I signed up for originally (before adding additional hours) states that I'm not available before 10am on Saturdays and 3pm on Sundays. I am scheduled to work 5am to 1pm both days. That's not in my original availability.

I'm a relatively new TM (my orientation was just over a month ago). I was hired at a mass hire event. At my store, there are no "department TMs," so I am responsible for learning ALL departments in the store.

At the time, I initially put that I am unavailable on Sundays due to prior commitments (church and afternoon/evening Bible studies) and other, personal, health issues. I was pressured to say I could work some afternoon hours that day (but only after 3pm which, still, means I had to give up a LOT of things for this job). I also said I cannot work before 10am on Saturdays due to a class I was taking at the time of my hire.

Despite having a few days I can work until close, I've been (fortunately) scheduled to work early morning/opening shifts (4am to 6am start) which I LOVE. Despite it being within my 90 days, I put in a request for an availability change. I opened up my availability so I can work from 4am to 8am on Saturdays and Sundays (so, I ADDED hours). I did this in hopes that it would keep me working early morning hours; I left a note specifying that I am NOT available between 8am and 10am on Saturdays and 8am and 3pm on Sundays.

This week, the schedule says I'm scheduled to work 5am to 1pm on Saturday which is outside of my availability. Problem is, I'm not sure how to handle this. If I say nothing, then my "availability" means nothing to them. If I fight it, I risk my hours being cut or being scheduled hours that are even "worse." (Rotating between opening and closing shifts, etc.) According to the schedule online, I'm also scheduled to work those same hours on Sunday which is NOT an option at ALL, but at past jobs, fighting my schedule NEVER worked out well.

I just don't know what to do. I regret not standing up for myself regarding my availability at the hiring event.

Check to see what your availability is because it could be wrong. If your scheduled out of your availability then talk to HR. I know my store wouldn't have hired you if you couldn't at least work both days on the weekends with school. With you being fairly new you haven't established a relationship with your leaders who would bat to make sure you get hours around your commitment. Try making sure you are working all the hours you can.

Check to see what your availability is because it could be wrong. If your scheduled out of your availability then talk to HR. I know my store wouldn't have hired you if you couldn't at least work both days on the weekends with school. With you being fairly new you haven't established a relationship with your leaders who would bat to make sure you get hours around your commitment. Try making sure you are working all the hours you can.

Everyone in my store is new. It's a new store.

They pressured me into being available 7 days a week. Originally, I said I was available 6 days: Monday through Saturday. I am working just under 40 hours despite being hired to work part-time.

Here is my original availability:

Sundays: OFF (was pressured into working on this day, so I grudgingly agreed to work 3pm to 11pm).
Mondays: 4am to 11pm
Tuesdays: 4am to 6pm
Wednesdays: 4am to 11pm
Thursdays: 4am to 3pm
Friday: 4am to 6pm
Saturdays: 10am to 11pm.

After about two weeks, I realized that I could add in MORE hours. I have time between 4am and 8am Saturdays and Sundays, so I added that into my availability. I'm available 105 hours during the week. My store only has employees 133 hours during a week. I'm available almost 80% of Target's hours. I have given up things I've been committed to for YEARS for this job. What else am I supposed to do?

Agreed with the earlier suggesting to have a conversation. There are either no red flags popping up when someone is scheduled outside availability or the scheduler ignores them. I'm also a no-Sundays-ever, and when our STL took over scheduling for a while because we were in the middle of a leadership change, I got scheduled 3 Sundays in a row. I put the first on swap with no comment, had a convo with HRTM on the second, and it took me a week to finally meet up with STL, by which time the third was set. He took me off the remaining scheduled Sundays and I haven't had a repeat since.

I am assuming that you told spot when you were hired, that I can work weekends at these hours. Communication is the key. Under 90 days,you are the mercy of spot.

I left a note specifying that I am NOT available between 8am and 10am on Saturdays and 8am and 3pm on Sundays.
Leaving a note on the availability change request means absolutely nothing. It's a footnote that the person who looks at the request may or may not even notice, and it's not part of your official availability.

You would have to specify on the actual availability part that you are available 4-8am and 10am-11pm (4-8 and 3-11 on Sunday).

You also need to make sure your "request" was actually approved. They may have denied it and the scheduling outside of your old availability was a fluke.

If you did all that, then talk to HR. Let them know you want to be a team player and work as much as possible, but that you have other commitments that have not changed since you were hired and you still need those times off. Also throw the 5-1 shift on the swap board before going to Hr, since that's one of the first things they'll probably say.

What is a shift swap board? There's no such thing at my store.

So, I went in on Tuesday and spoke to "A" who works in HR. I went up to her and asked: "Who do I need to talk to about an issue with being scheduled outside of my availability?" She immediately jumped to the conclusion that I was asking about changing my availability. I clarified that, no, I was scheduled hours that I was not available to work. She told me, "that's fine." As an extra step (one I've learned to take after past experiences with jobs), I wrote out a note explaining the situation: that I was scheduled to work during hours that I am not available.

Today, one of the STLs pulled me aside. His first criticism is that I left a note; the person who works in HR wasn't authorized to make any scheduling changes, so talking to her was pointless. I explained that I left the note after asking "A" who I needed to discuss this scheduling issue with. (Whenever I have to write a note for anything work-related, I either type it on my computer, or I take a picture of anything handwritten so I have records if needed).

He then went into this whole "spiel" about how I was hired based on my availability- specifically my availability to work the 4am flow team shift. That availability, originally, was only Monday-Friday. At no point, have I made any changes to reduce my availability. I have only added hours to my availability as a way to lower the chances of me working Sunday afternoons/evenings until I can go back to the availability I put when I applied.

I did specify on the "actual availability part" that I am available during those separate time slots on Saturdays and Sundays. I also cleared things up with the STL who oversaw my training before coming to the new store- that I was adding hours to my availability, not subtracting.

I was able to get my schedule for Sunday resolved- working 4am to 8am. I know a lot of people would just blow off the schedule and say "I'm not coming in. That's outside of my availability." I thought that pushing that I am able to come in for a shorter shift would at least be a reasonable compromise.

I still hate how I was pressured to alter my original availability during the interview to add Sunday hours. I said I was unavailable Sundays, but they implied that I wouldn't be hired if I was not available 7 days a week. I reluctantly put that if I absolutely must I can work Sunday nights. They pushed me to open my availability more; most Sundays, I'm still at church during the hours they pushed me to be available to work.

Meanwhile, while my hours flux from 4 to 12/5 to 1/5 to 1:30/6 to 2, almost everyone else who was hired with me (and trained at the same store as me) has the same schedule. "J" is consistently 6 to 2. "T" "D" and "R" are always in at 4 and leave by 12 (except on Saturdays when R can't stay past 8am). Even "B" who started two weeks after me is getting consistent 4am shifts. I don't understand why my hours are all over the place.

This is retail. Our most important days are Saturday and Sunday. Any new applicant is going to be pressured to work weekends. It's up to you to either stand your ground or open up your availability. Hey if you store really needs people who are available 7 days then maybe that's not the store for you. If they have a large applicant pool then they can stand to be picky about things like availability. You should've stuck with your original intentions and then if they chose not to hire you, applied somewhere else. Other stores aren't quite so picky/demanding.

As to being scheduled outside your availability, you did the right thing in immediately bringing it to someone's attention. I don't know how it's done at your store but I myself am responsible for the scheduling 80+ team members in 1 day. No help from any other ETLs or TLs. Occasionally schedule writers make a mistake (we're only human). The worst thing to do is to just say nothing, not show up for a shift, and then try to place the blame on the schedule writer. Yeah your absence will be excused but you're going to be on someone's shit list and your ETL will not be doing you any favors.

This is retail. Our most important days are Saturday and Sunday. Any new applicant is going to be pressured to work weekends. It's up to you to either stand your ground or open up your availability. Hey if you store really needs people who are available 7 days then maybe that's not the store for you. If they have a large applicant pool then they can stand to be picky about things like availability. You should've stuck with your original intentions and then if they chose not to hire you, applied somewhere else. Other stores aren't quite so picky/demanding.

As to being scheduled outside your availability, you did the right thing in immediately bringing it to someone's attention. I don't know how it's done at your store but I myself am responsible for the scheduling 80+ team members in 1 day. No help from any other ETLs or TLs. Occasionally schedule writers make a mistake (we're only human). The worst thing to do is to just say nothing, not show up for a shift, and then try to place the blame on the schedule writer. Yeah your absence will be excused but you're going to be on someone's shit list and your ETL will not be doing you any favors.

I noticed that the person who interviewed me got excited when I said I had no problem coming in at 4am (in fact, the prospect of working that early excited me). I've never come into a retail job at its start; I'm used to being forced into the closing shifts and, over time, working my way up to midday and morning hours. I expected Thursday to be my day off most weeks since that's my early day (I can't work past 3pm).

When I started getting scheduled for 4, 5, and 6am shifts, I decided to try to fit hours within that time-frame in 7 days a week. Currently, I can work a full 8+ hours during that time 5 days a week, and once my class is over in another month or so, I'll be able to do it 6 days. Sunday is the only day I can only work a 4 hour shift if working AM flow hours. I'm giving as much as I can- adding to my availability whenever and wherever possible. However, there's only so much I can give before it affects my physical and mental health.

I'm actually not against working most holidays (as long as I don't work Good Friday after 5pm or so due to church services). Thanksgiving? Christmas Eve (again, not too late because of church)? I'd volunteer to work Christmas DAY if we were open.

(And I have applied for positions at retail jobs that are NOT opened on Sundays- including a certain fast food restaurant and a craft store. Neither place had any openings, and I really cannot beat my commute to Target- 5 minutes from my house.)

I've had a LOT of problems with scheduling at my last retail job (grocery store position). I was constantly scheduled during days/times I was unavailable. New hires were getting consistent, early shifts while my hours were all over the place (and as much as I was willing to be flexible, company policy at my grocery store job stated that scheduling was based on seniority, so if I was working 12 to 5 and Heather, who started a year after me, was working 7 to 12, I was allowed to bump her and take her hours. (Unfortunately- and I know this doesn't apply to Target- my union dues did NOTHING to enforce policies, so I kept getting screwed over.)

I spoke to two separate TLs regarding this. I made sure my availability WAS correct in the system.

I have been scheduled outside of my availability AGAIN. I don't know what to do anymore. I feel like if I stand up for myself, I'll be sacked for not being a "team player", but I really cannot work the hours I've been scheduled for.

If you are still pretty new, they need you with open avail. Sat and Sun are busiest for retail. This is retail. Either take it or leave it.

I'm surprised they even hired you with the limited avail. I know I wouldn't hired anyone like that. Do you think HR has time to fiddle with a scattered, limited schedule?

If you are still pretty new, they need you with open avail. Sat and Sun are busiest for retail. This is retail. Either take it or leave it.

I'm surprised they even hired you with the limited avail. I know I wouldn't hired anyone like that. Do you think HR has time to fiddle with a scattered, limited schedule?

I am available 105 out of a 133 hours the store has employees working.

Even people with a regular, full time job only work 40-50 hours or so out of a total of 168 hours in a week. So,my availability is PRETTY open. There are literally only TWO hours on Saturday I cannot work, and I'm scheduled during those two hours. I've already told them I have a class during those two hours, but they keep scheduling me.

I am available 105 out of a 133 hours the store has employees working.

Even people with a regular, full time job only work 40-50 hours or so out of a total of 168 hours in a week. So,my availability is PRETTY open. There are literally only TWO hours on Saturday I cannot work, and I'm scheduled during those two hours. I've already told them I have a class during those two hours, but they keep scheduling me.
Those two hours are either take it or break it. 79% availability is not too impressive if you are under 90 days. What makes you think Target cares about what's going on in your life now to accomodate your scheduling preferences? They're a retail business. They need YOU to fit THEIR business needs. Not the other way around. Perhaps you should work somewhere else where they will have your specific days closed. Your availability is not that open like you think. You can only have either one or the other and not both. They also don't like when you have availability that keeps changing weekly. Don't be surprised if your hours go down or days get cut. Just sayin'. Some ETLs are just snotty assholes!

Sounds to me as though EllieKatieCat has checked her availability in the system and that is listed as what was put down at the original hire. If the system reflects the original hours then she's getting screwed by Target.
If she's trying to ADD hours to her schedule then she shouldn't be getting the grief that she seems to be getting.
While this new TM may be under the 90 day hire time and the system reflects the availability then she shouldn't be having these problems.

Based on the things you've said here, it is kind of confusing...a big part of the problem might be that you are saying too many things. So.....

I would suggest that you schedule a specific time to meet with the HR-ETL...even if it means coming in outside of your work schedule (don't let the HR-ETL go about doing other things in the store...remind them that you made a specific appointment)....and go over the ORIGINAL availability and then review the ADDED availability.

When you are talking with HR-ETL don't mention that you were pressured to change your availability. The HR-ETL is going to be interested in what times you said that you could work. After you've done that then there should not be any more problems. If they continue to give you problems then, if I were you, I'd get the heck out of this new store. The problems that you are having are due to too many people being involved with you and your schedule.

So, talk with HR-ETL and get things figured out.

Sounds to me as though EllieKatieCat has checked her availability in the system and that is listed as what was put down at the original hire. If the system reflects the original hours then she's getting screwed by Target.
If she's trying to ADD hours to her schedule then she shouldn't be getting the grief that she seems to be getting.
While this new TM may be under the 90 day hire time and the system reflects the availability then she shouldn't be having these problems.

Based on the things you've said here, it is kind of confusing...a big part of the problem might be that you are saying too many things. So.....

I would suggest that you schedule a specific time to meet with the HR-ETL...even if it means coming in outside of your work schedule (don't let the HR-ETL go about doing other things in the store...remind them that you made a specific appointment)....and go over the ORIGINAL availability and then review the ADDED availability.

When you are talking with HR-ETL don't mention that you were pressured to change your availability. The HR-ETL is going to be interested in what times you said that you could work. After you've done that then there should not be any more problems. If they continue to give you problems then, if I were you, I'd get the heck out of this new store. The problems that you are having are due to too many people being involved with you and your schedule.

So, talk with HR-ETL and get things figured out.

Thank you.

The main reason I added hours is because I hadn't really given early mornings much thought. When I started getting consistent 5 and 6am shifts, I realized that I could open up my availability to work 4am on weekends where I thought mornings were completely out.

Of course, now I'm dealing with my hours being cut DRASTICALLY- and I'm not the only one. There are several of us who have worked fairly consistent schedules. I've been 5am to 1 or 1:30 MOST weekdays with 4am to 8am on weekends that I work. During a week and a half of training, I worked 6am to 2pm, but still within that few hour range. I've gotten 30 to just under 40 hours per week.

The next two weeks, I'm working 16.5 hours and I'm getting later shifts. They're taking people who have worked 6am to 2pm almost every day and having them work early hours one day and closing the next. (Which I think is ridiculous. I'm terrified of getting a 10pm shift since I generally try to be in BED well before that. I've tried to adust my sleep schedule to working such early hours).

(Meanwhile, there are plenty of people whose hours were NOT cut despite HR telling me that everyone is 'part time.' Well, why does D get 38 hours when I only get 16? Why can't you schedule her one fewer shift and give me one of hers so we're both working about 27 hours?)

What really bothers me is that, when hired, they asked how many hours I want and I told them I need at least 25-30 hours. So, yes, I'm part-time, butI also told you what I need.

Oh well, if this keeps up, I'm going to have no choice but to up my job search game. Too bad I don't have a consistent enough schedule to give another part-time job an availability so I can try to juggle both jobs.

The hours thing is ultra random a lot of the time. This past week I had 37, this week only 18, next 32

Thank you.

The main reason I added hours is because I hadn't really given early mornings much thought. When I started getting consistent 5 and 6am shifts, I realized that I could open up my availability to work 4am on weekends where I thought mornings were completely out.

Of course, now I'm dealing with my hours being cut DRASTICALLY- and I'm not the only one. There are several of us who have worked fairly consistent schedules. I've been 5am to 1 or 1:30 MOST weekdays with 4am to 8am on weekends that I work. During a week and a half of training, I worked 6am to 2pm, but still within that few hour range. I've gotten 30 to just under 40 hours per week.

The next two weeks, I'm working 16.5 hours and I'm getting later shifts. They're taking people who have worked 6am to 2pm almost every day and having them work early hours one day and closing the next. (Which I think is ridiculous. I'm terrified of getting a 10pm shift since I generally try to be in BED well before that. I've tried to adust my sleep schedule to working such early hours).

(Meanwhile, there are plenty of people whose hours were NOT cut despite HR telling me that everyone is 'part time.' Well, why does D get 38 hours when I only get 16? Why can't you schedule her one fewer shift and give me one of hers so we're both working about 27 hours?)

What really bothers me is that, when hired, they asked how many hours I want and I told them I need at least 25-30 hours. So, yes, I'm part-time, butI also told you what I need.

Oh well, if this keeps up, I'm going to have no choice but to up my job search game. Too bad I don't have a consistent enough schedule to give another part-time job an availability so I can try to juggle both jobs.

I was scheduled outside of mine twice in the last two weeks. They knew I couldn't work the days they scheduled me. It's also happened once before that. Months ago.

I just go to my TL and let them know hey, I'm scheduled outside of my documented availability, and I won't be coming in. Worst that's happened is I lost hours that specific week- the hours I was scheduled for that I couldn't work. Sucks, but, they get me covered or switched around and then I'm golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back