Schedules after Xmas/Seasonal GM Work Extension?

Hi All!
I'm a new Seasonal GM TM that started mid October. LOVE working in my small department and its stock room.

This week our schedules weren't provided on Thursdays as they usually are. According to the Kronos app my last day is tomorrow because it just shows "Att - Unpaid Vacation - Oh" for the rest of the days/months. I tried reaching out to my TL and HR about when my last day would be or even if I might be able to stay on, but no one is saying anything. I mentioned to them a while back I would be interested in staying on, if possible.

Is this how Target usually operates regarding the ending of Seasonal positions? As far as I can tell they have liked my work though my TL has said nothing to me about it, only the SD said good things. Sure wish I had more feedback from the TL for my department. He was on Leave and has been back since end of November, but is very hands off. Is this typical for Target??

Sometimes even the good seasonals are let go because hours are so scarce after Christmas. Regular TMs that normally have gotten 25 or more hours suddenly get 8-12 hours a week so seasonal are set free.

Last edited:
I was notified on my second to the last shift that they were letting me go; basically one week gap of no working until the last day. It's kind of annoying how they then say they still want you to come in and work as usual but they can't extend your seasonal - what is most messed up is they've been training new TM at the cashiers and holding orientation. Why let seasonal TM go when you can just keep them instead of hiring new ones.

I was notified on my second to the last shift that they were letting me go; basically one week gap of no working until the last day. It's kind of annoying how they then say they still want you to come in and work as usual but they can't extend your seasonal - what is most messed up is they've been training new TM at the cashiers and holding orientation. Why let seasonal TM go when you can just keep them instead of hiring new ones.

Once you pass a certain number of days, you become permanent. It is way harder to get fire a permanent employee than it is to let go a seasonal employee after a few months. A permanent employee needs to be written up multiple times before they can be fired (with the exception of theft or violence). A seasonal employee can be let go at any time for any reason.

If they keep a few positions constantly filled and replaced by seasonal employees, they can keep reviewing applications and hiring in hopes of finding an amazing employee. If every position is filled by a permanent employee and an amazing applicant applies, they will have no opening to hire them into. By the time they can write up and fire an employee, the amazing applicant will probably have found another job at a different company.

Also, once you become a permanent employee, you start the clock on being eligible for benefits. Your time as a seasonal counts towards getting benefits but they are not at risk of giving you benefits until you become permanent.

I 100% agree with you. It is insulting to all the seasonals that just worked hard during the busiest time of the year to see Target hiring new seasonals in late December and early January. If a seasonal cashier can handle Thanksgiving thru Christmas, they surely can handle the slowness of January thru October. If a general merchandise/style team member can handle to trucks between Thanksgiving thru Christmas, they surely can handle January thru October. If a fulfillment team member can handle the orders from Thanksgiving thru Christmas, they surely can handle January thru October.

It shows that Target does not respect you or their employees. That is why you should never make an employee a priority in your life - you will never be an employer's priority.

On the bright side, it gives the HR team members something to do during the year since most are incredibly lazy and do nothing but busy work during the week with the exception of completing the weekly schedule.

Last edited:

Everyone has to train as a cashier. The new TM you see, might be working in Market.

Their decision to keep someone has a lot to do with attendance and availability. It's also harder to keep minors. We can only have so many of them.

Back