Archived Screwed up majorly today, am worried about getting fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jynxille

Salty Cashier
So, yep, the title says it all.

I was ringing up 3 guests today who bought a bunch of $100 visa gift cards with cash cards and they rang them up separately (and it all totaled out to about $3000). I was stupid and didn't call a TL in time and I'm pretty sure I just made Target lose about 3k. I never messed up this badly and I'm worried about how the situation will be handled. Since money is tight for me around this time I can't afford to lose this job. How do you think they'll go about this? Has something similar happened to any of you before?

sorry, you probably can't make it out of that one. I'd look into employment at another retail place fast so you have less time spent unemployed. I've heard worst but $3000 is a lot of money to get from a scam.

My experience with a scammer was two guys came to SCO and had a basket full of $100 iTunes cards. I was talking them up asking if they were doing like a giveaway or how they're able to cash in all of those. Just making casual talk I was trying to make them sound high and mighty like "holy fuck ya'll are rich buying that many cards!"

but I already had my STL coming over to stop these guys and they had got about $900 cashed. They got away without police involvement and still walked with almost $1000 in iTunes cards. STL said not to worry about it since I caught it and they were able to cash it because him and AP had to run there. Gave me advice for next time, don't let them checkout, "sorry only three giftcards a day per person", "I need manager approval for this."

You goofed, for sure. Are you new? Did anyone train you to look for this scam? Does your name badge say "New Team Member"? (Why do stores still have people wear these?). If you are new and didn't know, I don't see how they can hold you responsible.

Talk to your boss. Tell him exactly what happened.

You goofed, for sure. Are you new? Did anyone train you to look for this scam? Does your name badge say "New Team Member"? (Why do stores still have people wear these?). If you are new and didn't know, I don't see how they can hold you responsible.

Talk to your boss. Tell him exactly what happened.
I've been working here for less than 6 months. I never encountered anything like this nor have they told me much about frauds or scams but I knew it seemed sketchy. I feel like I'm completely at fault for this and was dumb for not telling anyone. Damn it.

My next shift is on Friday so we'll see what that consequences are. Hopefully it's just a write up or a corrective action. I've been told I'm a really good worker and I never been in any sort of trouble....but the possibility of being fired is still there. Sigh. I'm beyond worried.

Take responsibility assp they wilk find out anyway. If anything seems sketchy like that always call a gsa to be sure. We dont allow guests to purchase more than $500 per person in giftcards Im surprised your store doesnt have a similar policy. Br up front let them know you werent trained to be aware of such a thing and remember as many details about the time od the transaction, what register, and what the person looked like. Stuff happens its a big amoutn but taking responsibility may help your case

At my store you’d probably be fine. I’ve seen sketchy things come through and nothing happens. Often the GSA/GSTL tell cashiers to push so many things through that cashiers stop calling for help.

At most, I think you may be talked to (coached). Or quietly be surveilled in case they worry it was an inside job.

In the meantime, just carry on as normal. And by all means turn on your light if it happens again!

You won't get fired for this. If this becomes a habit? That's another story.

Next time, all you can do is tell your GSTL, and take it from there. Technically, you can't really do much anyway. We just limit the dollar amount or quantity if we suspect fraud. But it's out of our hands as a retailer.

They have a legit reason to fire you, but it’d be pretty crappy of them to do so. I mean, if they didn’t cover this in training how is it fair to go straight to firing someone?

People try this scam all the time- why isn’t this a priority in training? It would take 3 seconds to say “NEVER allow a guest to purchase more than _____ in gift cards because it’s a scam.” Boom. Done. Simple.

Target’s training for newbies is a joke (I’ve had decent training for other work centers/more in-depth processes as I’ve tried to learn more over the years- so I’ll give them that...but basic training is nearly nonexistent)

They have a legit reason to fire you, but it’d be pretty crappy of them to do so. I mean, if they didn’t cover this in training how is it fair to go straight to firing someone?

People try this scam all the time- why isn’t this a priority in training? It would take 3 seconds to say “NEVER allow a guest to purchase more than _____ in gift cards because it’s a scam.” Boom. Done. Simple.

Target’s training for newbies is a joke (I’ve had decent training for other work centers/more in-depth processes as I’ve tried to learn more over the years- so I’ll give them that...but basic training is nearly nonexistent)

How is it a valid reason? There's not technically anything that prohibits us selling high dollar gift cards. We just know from experience, it's usually fraud. During the holidays, it's not unusual to sell expensive gift cards.

OP I read your post on reddit.

They did not use cash cards. That’s not a thing. They waited until after you hit k1, then put in whatever card they wanted. Could’ve been a fitness club card for all POS cares because POS didn’t read it.

FOR EVERYONE: DO NOT HIT K1 FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN REAL PAPER MONEY OR COINS. PERIOD. NO EXCEPTIONS.

So I don’t understand, they bought gift cards worth $3000 and paid you $3000, where is loss to Target ? And hownhow is this a scam? If they paid cash?

After reading your post on here I was going to say that it’s unfortunate that these things happen but you should be ok unless it happens again - but then I read your post on reddit and I would be a little worried if I were you. Never EVER follow instructions on how to use the register by the guest or anything that the guest is handing you. It almost always leads to some sort of fraud or scam. Even though the lines were long at your lane you should have turned your light off/to blinking, called the GSTL over, and just told the guests waiting that it's gonna be a while and that they can either wait or go to another lane. You kinda goofed on that one dude but I can see the same thing happening to people at my store, it has before :oops:

The K1 scammers have hit multiple stores in my group and no TM who made an honest mistake has been fired for it. There were a few TMs who received kickbacks from the scammers, however, and they were arrested.

So I don’t understand, they bought gift cards worth $3000 and paid you $3000, where is loss to Target ? And hownhow is this a scam? If they paid cash?
I read up on it and it’s called the ‘K1 scam’. I’m guessing it’s a new one that’s going around Target and it hasn’t hit my store yet(well....until today at least).
Basically, a guest would use some type of card and call it a ‘cash card’, swipe it, and they’ll tell you to hit K1 + enter , which automatically processes the payment as cash, which makes the register draw open.

Now that I know, this is probably the stupidest thing I’ve ever done. : )

I’ll be sure to keep you guys updated when I go to my shift on Friday. Plz keep me in your prayers.

I read up on it and it’s called the ‘K1 scam’. I’m guessing it’s a new one that’s going around Target and it hasn’t hit my store yet(well....until today at least).
Basically, a guest would use some type of card and call it a ‘cash card’, swipe it, and they’ll tell you to hit K1 + enter , which automatically processes the payment as cash, which makes the register draw open.

Now that I know, this is probably the stupidest thing I’ve ever done. : )
So guest told you to hit “K1” and you did? Thats.... thats .....

85681126.jpg

They didn't 'pay' for them.
They tell the cashier it's a 'cash' card & to hit K1 as they swipe a dummy card.
The drawer pops open because the register is expecting a cash payment; the card has NO bearing on it.
Only a savvy cashier would catch it so I expect 2/3 of our checklane team to get stung.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back