Archived Screwed up majorly today, am worried about getting fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My store isn't allowed to use the flashers (they haven't done it at the new lanes yet, but on our old lanes they had screwed something in so you couldn't put the switch in the "up" position where it flashes) so we only use the help button. Seems to work for the most part but I wish there was a quick "I NEED HELP IMMEDIATELY PANIC PANIC PANIC" button for "special" situations.
Oh our “flashers” are broken too. We just turn on and off the light over and over until they notice.

"ALL STARBUCKS CERTIFIED TEAM MEMBERS ARE NEEDED AT STARBUCKS FOR GUEST ASSISTANCE"
"ALL STARBUCKS CERTIFIED TEAM MEMBERS ARE NEEDED AT STARBUCKS FOR GUEST ASSISTANCE"
This is what they ignore.

I guess I missed this one... what were they having you check your registers for?
They would say they were checking to see if the registers were working properly (asked for your TM # and claimed to be corporate), and then after, they wanted you to load a gift card with x amount of money. Someone at my store fell for it despite being trained and got fired.

I got a call from them once last summer (I'm pretty sure they were based out of Florida, at least that's what the caller ID said) and told them I needed to check with a manager, and they hung up.
One TM at my store told them to get a real job then hung up on them.

The register check scammers had the bad luck of me picking up the phone once. They tried to name drop someone from corporate (who I knew they weren’t, the voice was wrong) and in addition to writing down the phone number, I went “yeah, because corporate would totally bother to call when they could just email. Ya fake.” LOD heard and got a kick out of it (our old ETL-AP was LOD that night) because he knew exactly what kind of call it must have been to get that kind of response from me, because I’m usually very professional at work.

The register check scammers had the bad luck of me picking up the phone once. They tried to name drop someone from corporate (who I knew they weren’t, the voice was wrong) and in addition to writing down the phone number, I went “yeah, because corporate would totally bother to call when they could just email. Ya fake.” LOD heard and got a kick out of it (our old ETL-AP was LOD that night) because he knew exactly what kind of call it must have been to get that kind of response from me, because I’m usually very professional at work.
“Ya fake” lol reminds me of the good place “ya basic”

It surprisingly went well. I told my GSTL about it and explained to her about everything. She was happy that I was upfront and honest with her about the whole.
She said she’s gonna mention it to AP and they’ll take it on from there. I’m not sure what my consequences are yet though (if I’ll be getting any).

But hey, at least I wasn’t fired!

Alright another update:
The AP ETL pulled me aside, told me everything about the whole thing, and said that I won’t be punished for it! Apparently the people hit another store right after and did the same process, but they took a lot more money from them unfortunately.
I definelty learned my lesson from this lol but I’m glad it’s over and done with

This scam hit my store this week. Unfortunately they went to a new cashier and made out with a lot of money

Agreed, I had a scam involved at my register with coupon fraud when I was new.

Yes the scammers are unbelievably good at finding the new cashiers. Someone almost got me when I was new but long story short tried to push her luck too far and I caught on

Best advice for anyone who catches themselves being scammed after the fact: Tell the GSTL and AP right away. It could help build a case and teach everyone something new to look out for- not just in your store, but all of Target.

During the fact, refuse to be scammed, follow policy and educate those policies of why you can't do what that scammer is insisting and turn on that blinker. Obviously, don't call them a scammer, just play smart.

I've had my share of costing the company money by all types (I can honestly say it works to be near 10k) and most of that time was being new and NEVER being trained on any type of retail scamming, counterfeit coupons, coupon doupeing, and the biggest loss of all, an 8k+ phone scam which I caught on just as I did it (emails were sent to my TL's and I was never informed at the time but my mistake ensured my district was prepared for the next calls)
My advice- ask questions about what common things should you look out for. Learn. Tell the GSTL when anything seems fishy even if you're not sure. I cannot speak for every circumstance, every TL and ETL, STL and APTL... but I still have my job because I was willing to learn and never repeat. I do make that a point with myself.

At my store and after all the learning AFTER finding out I was scammed or 'taken advantage of' for my ignorance, I make it a point to always teach my cashiers some very basic AP things during training-including coupons, checks, screenshots, and recoveries (and of course LISA AND BOB). As holidays approach, I then go to each cashier and quiz them and teach them some more 'advanced' stuff to look for. I even remind them that at our store we have all agreed that we can check ID's for any giftcard amount at a certain amount (400). Man, we've caught some people with some mismatched names haha.

We even have an AP notebook kept at our service desk for any TM that may have seen or dealt with something fishy (or when we make recoveries!) so our AP can take a look at it. It's helped a lot and so has the team in being so open and close with our AP in general.

I'll be honest... I'm not sure I'd know how to spot a fake coupon unless it's ridiculously bad. Can anyone provide examples of what to look for?

(Not a cashier, and my store has been more focused on the "make the guest happy" approach lately.)

I'll be honest... I'm not sure I'd know how to spot a fake coupon unless it's ridiculously bad. Can anyone provide examples of what to look for?

(Not a cashier, and my store has been more focused on the "make the guest happy" approach lately.)

First off- never a screenshot of a coupon. Coupons have to be from a live site and Target only deals with a link from their official emails or on Cartwheel- never any 3rd party sites.

As for counterfeit coupons that have been printed: They look a lot like the printed coupons now but with a few tells...Manufacturers will NEVER allow printed 'get item free' without purchase. Those are all fake. Any high dollar one should be questioned as cashiers typically can only resolve issues up to $5. So high dollar ones should be scrutinized carefully (there are real ones out there, just watch out).
Coupons that take the whole value of the item are fake (when looking at items of higher value). Ones that seem to be recirculated after a while are like Pampers and Enfamil. The infamous 24.99 ones are a great example.
Counterfeit coupons have use of a different font and the large letters/numbers will look off to the rest of the coupon.
Read the fine print. Many times these counterfeit coupons allow ANY product of that line and aren't specific. (like any Dove product, not Dove bodywashes). Any limit over 4 per day printed on the coupon is counterfeit. Many times they'll have something ridiculous like limit 10 per transaction. Manufactures will NOT print just per transaction- it's daily limit to protect their assets as well. Sometimes (and I found a bunch of these recently) the details won't have legal ramifications printed and bad ones will have another manufacturer printed entirely. (You see them buying Dove products and the coupon says Dove and looks like Dove but reading the fine print shows it's barbeque sauce).
These barcodes WILL SCAN. It's not that hard to do a search and find out how to learn the algorithm and photoshop your own coupon (FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING DO NOT MAKE YOUR OWN COUPON AND USE IT- IT'S A FEDERAL CRIME) but you can learn to understand how these scammers get by many. Look at the smaller barcode or QR code- these are generated differently. You can go to Verify on your browser and type in that code and it'll tell you if that coupon is legit for that deal. It'll come up either something different or say it's invalid. My AP says we as cashiers can use those with our phone or myDevices as that's a tool given for that reason.

For examples of counterfeit, go to couponinformationcenter.com. The site is full of information including known counterfeit that manufacturers have turned into law enforcement. There's a list of PDF's there that will show you what many of these coupons look like and not to accept them- as they are real found counterfeit.

When we get counterfeit and our AP isn't on duty, I tell the guest that 'oh, we had these coupons come through earlier this week (or last week) and our security ran them through and they come back as invalid.' That generally shuts down the person who is sketchy to begin with and they flee. Or I take them into our hall, wait a few moments, then come back out and say I ran them but come back as invalid. (Our AP does the same). Of course we don't have a coupon scanning thing, but they believe it. I've had a couple others though that were given these by family or whatever, unassuming older people, so I'll do something extra special for them. After saying that and they have no clue what the heck I'm going on about, I'll be like- 'because they are invalid, I can't allow them BUT. I'll go ahead and force one through, but unfortunately I can't take any more." Then I have something shiny to give to my AP and somehow I tried to make it right :D

First off- never a screenshot of a coupon. Coupons have to be from a live site and Target only deals with a link from their official emails or on Cartwheel- never any 3rd party sites.

As for counterfeit coupons that have been printed: They look a lot like the printed coupons now but with a few tells...Manufacturers will NEVER allow printed 'get item free' without purchase. Those are all fake. Any high dollar one should be questioned as cashiers typically can only resolve issues up to $5. So high dollar ones should be scrutinized carefully (there are real ones out there, just watch out).
Coupons that take the whole value of the item are fake (when looking at items of higher value). Ones that seem to be recirculated after a while are like Pampers and Enfamil. The infamous 24.99 ones are a great example.
Counterfeit coupons have use of a different font and the large letters/numbers will look off to the rest of the coupon.
Read the fine print. Many times these counterfeit coupons allow ANY product of that line and aren't specific. (like any Dove product, not Dove bodywashes). Any limit over 4 per day printed on the coupon is counterfeit. Many times they'll have something ridiculous like limit 10 per transaction. Manufactures will NOT print just per transaction- it's daily limit to protect their assets as well. Sometimes (and I found a bunch of these recently) the details won't have legal ramifications printed and bad ones will have another manufacturer printed entirely. (You see them buying Dove products and the coupon says Dove and looks like Dove but reading the fine print shows it's barbeque sauce).
These barcodes WILL SCAN. It's not that hard to do a search and find out how to learn the algorithm and photoshop your own coupon (FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING DO NOT MAKE YOUR OWN COUPON AND USE IT- IT'S A FEDERAL CRIME) but you can learn to understand how these scammers get by many. Look at the smaller barcode or QR code- these are generated differently. You can go to Verify on your browser and type in that code and it'll tell you if that coupon is legit for that deal. It'll come up either something different or say it's invalid. My AP says we as cashiers can use those with our phone or myDevices as that's a tool given for that reason.

For examples of counterfeit, go to couponinformationcenter.com. The site is full of information including known counterfeit that manufacturers have turned into law enforcement. There's a list of PDF's there that will show you what many of these coupons look like and not to accept them- as they are real found counterfeit.

When we get counterfeit and our AP isn't on duty, I tell the guest that 'oh, we had these coupons come through earlier this week (or last week) and our security ran them through and they come back as invalid.' That generally shuts down the person who is sketchy to begin with and they flee. Or I take them into our hall, wait a few moments, then come back out and say I ran them but come back as invalid. (Our AP does the same). Of course we don't have a coupon scanning thing, but they believe it. I've had a couple others though that were given these by family or whatever, unassuming older people, so I'll do something extra special for them. After saying that and they have no clue what the heck I'm going on about, I'll be like- 'because they are invalid, I can't allow them BUT. I'll go ahead and force one through, but unfortunately I can't take any more." Then I have something shiny to give to my AP and somehow I tried to make it right :D
This is slightly incorrect as I’ve gotten “get this item free” from Scott Tissues, Lipton Tea and Chobani in the mail before and they were ultra legit

This is slightly incorrect as I’ve gotten “get this item free” from Scott Tissues, Lipton Tea and Chobani in the mail before and they were ultra legit

I've also gotten these especially when a product was defective when I opened them, such as mold in the yogurt. Called the company gave the store and the batch number and they sent these coupons. Turns out the store wasn't storing the product correctly. Remember food safety is important.

A lot of the free items will have holograms or something on them to verify that they're real.

I've gotten coupons for $7 off two pricey items.

But.....now I have learned my sin. When I'm at a Target that's not mine and the cashier is new enough to not know what to do I will tell the person how to ring up my produce or how to void a single item rather than wait there for the cashier to give up trying to do it and then getting GS to come over. I didn't realize that me doing that would make it more natural to listen to a scammer give instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back