Archived Self-Checkout coming soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any updated info on these? I am specifically hoping to hear about any problems with the current software these things are running on. Also, how have the hours for cashiers been affected at your store. Thanks!

I'm also curious about conversion, and how that has been affected.

We are getting self check, and losing lanes 1-6. Just dont know when. It may have been announced, but I dont tend to pay too much attention to that until I need to know.

I've overheard management say our store is going to get self checkouts sometime around September, replacing our fast lane checkouts. I'm happy because this means not getting cashier shifts, hopefully, but I feel sorry for the actual cashiers who will get less hours and some will of obviously be laid off.

Last edited:
I've overheard management say our store is going to get self checkouts sometime around September, replacing our fast lane checkouts. I'm happy because this means not getting cashier shifts, hopefully, but I feel sorry for the actual cashiers who will get less hours and some will of obviously be laid off.

It will cut into everyone's hours. They won't be laid off at that point, as they will be hiring for seasonal soon, but the cashier hours will go to the cashiers, and those who are used to getting a cashier shift once a week won't get that. There won't be more hours in other departments to pick up what is no longer there for cashier hours.

Anyone have any updated info on these? I am specifically hoping to hear about any problems with the current software these things are running on. Also, how have the hours for cashiers been affected at your store. Thanks!
Tons. Our current biggest issue is the machines eating money or giving back destroyed money. We also have problems activating gift cards for other places like iTunes and such, usually requires a reboot
I'm also curious about conversion, and how that has been affected.
It hasn't really changed much. We're still hovering in the high red range.

Ours go down constantly. We pretty much have a max of three working at once; sometimes down to two or even one.

We also have problems activating gift cards for other places like iTunes and such, usually requires a reboot

Ours have been having that problem too. Purchasing a gift card or using Cartwheel makes them crash.

Ours are gonna be installed tomorrow. I do some freelance IT work on the side and I had a work order sent to me that would pay $125 to help install ours. Inconveniently I am working tomorrow and will make less than $125 doing my job.

We have had ours for a few weeks now. Hours did get cut for the front end as our grid is now shorter and no longer fills the whole page. Guests have not been receptive to them. They continue to stand in 1+2 and 1+3 lines rather than use them. Self checks may be okay for Walmart, but not for Target shoppers. Wondering if guests will come around or if we are now just 6 lanes short?

I love self checkouts when they work. I don't have to interact with a cashier.

We get ours in August...not quite looking forward to that :confused: sounds like a lot of technical and theft issues waiting to happen

I used a self-checkout on the 4th and it was just a bad experience all together. I'm the self-checkout queen in the grocery store and Wal-Mart but this was just bad. I couldn't use the hand scanner to scan my Cartwheel or my TM discount bar code. When I had to remove an item, I had to wait for the TM to come over and put their number in - and they had to do this for each item. It took long because she was helping someone else (and, yes, I really did consider using my own information lol).

If anyone with self checkout wants to see a grown man/woman cry, ask your CO team member how much s/he likes the SCOs.

I hate providing free labor and I enjoy talking to cashiers if they're up for it.

We've had ours for a month now and they've been really well received (mostly by guests). After working at another grocery store during high school, I would like to think I know the basics of self checkouts inside and out so I'm sure my opinion can be mistaken as biased. As I spend a lot of my time in mini, I'll often help the SCO attendant with red lights despite having 0 training on them. The first week was pretty hellacious and they crashed constantly but it seems like most of the issues are being worked out.

I know cartwheel is still causing some issues.. The other day, I went through with a couple lunchables on my meal and it took 30 seconds for them to apply the discount. The only thing I don't like about our version of the SCOs is that there isn't a supervisor podium which over complicates some of the issues that are otherwise easy to fix (like the bag scale weight being off, supervisor station just had a button that says 'weight ok').

It can't be too bad since one of our 70+ year old cashiers will attend (and he's pretty good at it)

I always wonder what is going to happen to the cashiers now? They're obviously not going to need as many and that's the part that bothers me. Sure self checkout is great but...

We've had ours for a month now and they've been really well received (mostly by guests). After working at another grocery store during high school, I would like to think I know the basics of self checkouts inside and out so I'm sure my opinion can be mistaken as biased. As I spend a lot of my time in mini, I'll often help the SCO attendant with red lights despite having 0 training on them. The first week was pretty hellacious and they crashed constantly but it seems like most of the issues are being worked out.

It can't be too bad since one of our 70+ year old cashiers will attend (and he's pretty good at it)
How many 70+ cashiers do you guys have? We have 2 that are 60-ish, 2 like 50-ish, and rest like 20 year olds.

How many 70+ cashiers do you guys have? We have 2 that are 60-ish, 2 like 50-ish, and rest like 20 year olds.

I always wonder what is going to happen to the cashiers now? They're obviously not going to need as many and that's the part that bothers me. Sure self checkout is great but...
I haven't noticed a decline in cashier numbers (we already operate with bare minimum) but I'm disappointed that backup calls haven't gone down. I do see more cashiers standing around during lules so I guess they're more beneficial in the low periods than the highs (Especially if your GSA is smart enough to send cashiers to zone RTW or reshop).

I like the SCOs, and as a GSA who works C/O, it doesn't really seem to be an issue other than having to order money 3 times a week.

My only problem with them is that the others GSAs and GSTLs don't like them, so they will do whatever they can to leave them closed. Some days I'll come in at 12 for a mid shift and there will be 4 cashiers with the SCOs closed.

For some reason the other GSAs and GSTLs think a reboot is the only way to solve a problem on the SCOs, but when I have to supervise them, I've never had to reboot to solve a problem. *shrug*

We're getting ours Sunday. I have a feeling I'm going to be going up for backup more often.
Maybe, maybe not. Our GSA/GSTL seem to be making the guests wait in longer lines. Very common to have a 1+3, instead of a 1+2 in line. This afternoon we had 2 lanes open besides self check. Seriously, for a Friday afternoon? ? Finally got 2 from the floor for back up.

Remember when the company used to says 1+1 was the policy? Hahahahaha

Self checkouts are great
(1) when they work
(2) when there are no dingbats using them

At least at my store, that is rarely the case. When I'm waiting on line I usually get my debit and discount out. I dislike being behind someone who takes time getting their payment out and is not paying attention to the prompts on the card reader.

Is there some policy out there that prohibits us from using the SCOs? We got ours the other day and they were finally up today. I went up to buy my drink and the GSTL tells me that we can't use them because we can override ourselves. That is a fact... We have the capability, but there are also reports and cameras that will ensure that we get ourselves fired for doing so.

Also, a very small number of us have experience using attendant mode and we would be idiots to do something like that because we know that we are being tracked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back