Archived Self-Checkout coming soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there some policy out there that prohibits us from using the SCOs? We got ours the other day and they were finally up today. I went up to buy my drink and the GSTL tells me that we can't use them because we can override ourselves. That is a fact... We have the capability, but there are also reports and cameras that will ensure that we get ourselves fired for doing so.

Also, a very small number of us have experience using attendant mode and we would be idiots to do something like that because we know that we are being tracked.
It's pretty easy for something like that to fall through the cracks if no one is looking on the attendant mode. With another cashier you would need to convince them to give you a discount, and not report you for asking. The SCO won't report you for $5 off your lunch, and they likely won't find you doing it for a while.

Does anyone have a guide or can give an overall tutorial for operating SCO and attendant mode? My store is getting SCO "imminently soon" and given the average distribution level of knowledge and instructions at my store, it would be helpful to get more information now. Is anything on Workbench?

I will be reading though this thread. Our store just got some in. They started installation on Monday. Luckily I'm super familiar with SCO from my previous job....but I'm pessimistic Target will be able to keep up. It's already become a thorn in our side when it comes to space upfront. We lost 2 whole lanes for it. And I don't see a central kiosk where one will watch over the lanes. This sounds like nothing more than a nightmare for constant user error, and theft. Also, major grocery stores chains were supposedly going to remove their SCOs due to decreased customer satisfaction. Ironic.

I will be reading though this thread. Our store just got some in. They started installation on Monday. Luckily I'm super familiar with SCO from my previous job....but I'm pessimistic Target will be able to keep up. It's already become a thorn in our side when it comes to space upfront. We lost 2 whole lanes for it. And I don't see a central kiosk where one will watch over the lanes. This sounds like nothing more than a nightmare for constant user error, and theft. Also, major grocery stores chains were supposedly going to remove their SCOs due to decreased customer satisfaction. Ironic.
I used to run the SCOs for a major grocery chain (popular on the eastern side of the US) and the two systems are nothing alike. Theirs had the nifty kiosk that you're referring to; you could type in produce PLUs, take checks and zero out the bag scales. Target's is nothing like that. To interface with them at all, you have to walk up to the individual unit and type in your # and pin (luckily, you can print out a fast pass). With the other guy's SCO, I could run 10 lanes at once but I don't think I would even want to run 4 of Targets.

Alright, so it seems like a new wave is rolling out. So let me share my experience.

We've had our SCOs since September of last year. They are OK, however, when "special" guests use them, it is a bit tiring overriding their stuff. Also couponers love it barbecue the system will automatically take certain ones even if they don't match. Overall, your store will learn to embrace them and love them. At least until Chip and PIN rolls out. My god is that going to be a nightmare at SCO.

Speaking of that, any Chip and PIN stores wanna share how they work with the SCOs? I'm curious.

We got Self-Checkout last week and since then I haven't been called up for backup once. I welcome this change.

Our SCOs we just got in about a month and a half ago, the other pFresh got thiers.about 4 mos ago. Haven't had time to even use them. From what I hear in this thread, I'd better back off of them.

One little thing I don't exactly like (I understand with security risks and all..) is why they can't leave leave one open for O/N, so the TLs can enjoy their break without babysitting checklanes for half their breaks. But hey, we are not trustworthy in the eyes of Spot.

Our SCOs we just got in about a month and a half ago, the other pFresh got thiers.about 4 mos ago. Haven't had time to even use them. From what I hear in this thread, I'd better back off of them.

One little thing I don't exactly like (I understand with security risks and all..) is why they can't leave leave one open for O/N, so the TLs can enjoy their break without babysitting checklanes for half their breaks. But hey, we are not trustworthy in the eyes of Spot.

No one should be working/babysitting the checklanes during their break.

No one should be working/babysitting the checklanes during their break.

That's what I would think. Unless the TLs take their breaks before we do (We have bureaucratic breaks) and when their break is up print out/gather information for our huddles, I haven't paid much attention to that in particular.

I hate the fact that they say team members can't use self checkout without an LOD or GSTL present. It's so demeaning.

I hate the fact that they say team members can't use self checkout without an LOD or GSTL present. It's so demeaning.

If I'm on break, I am not being paid. I am a guest.

Can you use self-checkout before the store opens?

Our self checkouts suck. We were basically given the rut of the pack because ours are almost always down or something is always wrong. What sucks more is that unlike other self checkouts we don't have our own personally computer so we can see exactly what's going on in each transaction without hovering like an eagle above each guests. We also don't know if someone paid for their items without again hovering over them like an eagle. If we had our own computers with four panels of each self checkout and each time it showed what was going on then maybe they wouldn't suck, but for now.....

We also don't know if someone paid for their items without again hovering over them like an eagle.
So, I'm guessing management is telling you to use this hovering time to explain to the guest the benefits of the Red Card?

Do ya wanna get a red carrrrrrrrd? Saving 5% each daaaaaaaay.
Don't really wanna whine; my job is on the line.
It's the only waaaaaaaay!
I used to give great service once, but now that's gone.
What are ya gonna doooooooo?
Do ya wanna get a red card?
Debit tooooooooooooo!

Probably not. Our GSTLs don't open them until there's enough cashier coverage to have someone watch them.

Ours open right away. GSTL will watch SCO and first cashier in takes a lane. 2nd cashier in takes over in self check. We are ultra bare minimum as far as front end coverage, so we may not get in a 3rd cashier until 11 am. But the self checks get a cashier even though nno one is using them!

I cant imagine the Target I work at getting SCO. We already took 4 registers away installing that stupid Integrated Guest Service. it would look so cluttered if we tried putting more stuff in like that!

Must be a store-level thing. We weren't allowed to use them at all the first few days,

Basically they are saying "we trust the guests more than we trust our own employees" I would totally say that to the LOD my last day if we had SCO.

I cant imagine the Target I work at getting SCO. We already took 4 registers away installing that stupid Integrated Guest Service. it would look so cluttered if we tried putting more stuff in like that!

I heard if you have integrated guest service they move guest service to a seperate area again. I would totally take the hell of managing SCO over having that retarded IGS.

I always crash the SCO for a few seconds. If you select the method of payment on the screen and swipe your card at the same time it goes nuts and says "Please scan please scan please scan" and then "card not accepted."

Anyone find out if these work with CurrentC? It's kinda convenient for me to use it now that I have it setup, but I'm guessing that they haven't thought that far ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back