Does your store have self-checkouts?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the gstls run them at your store?
Nobody runs them.

Guests need to flag down passing TMs who will call the GSTL, who will come clear it if they aren't on a lane or helping another guest.

At my store we have a dedicated TM scheduled for it. All of ours work, and they work well with someone watching them at all times. It's when there isn't any coverage over them that it gets hairy, because people think that they can use self checkout with a cart full of groceries, clothes, etc.

Nobody runs them.

Guests need to flag down passing TMs who will call the GSTL, who will come clear it if they aren't on a lane or helping another guest.

We always have a dedicated TM to run them...and try to push RedCards. Yet guests just don't want to use them.

Our ETL-GE isn't having any luck getting them up and running. She has had the techs out several times already, but they still aren't working.

We got self check out in May. We have the IGS setup and SCO are directly across from them.
We started with the GSTMs having to run both GS and SCO which was really frustrating, now we have a dedicated SCO person from 11-7:30 which is somehow even worse.
Said SCO person cannot help GS at all but GS has to help SCO which means when GS gets a line or are overwhelmed with defectives you have to stand there looking useless. Also the SCO person is supposed to basically stand in one place for 8 hours which is really boring (our other responsibilities are zoning guest service which you can only do so many times). Also when SCO goes on break GS must watch both (and vice versa).

Getting SCO soon. Will this reduce the amount of guests bitching about opening more lanes? If I hear one more guest say that I may feel obliged to tell them if they don't want to wait, go check yourself out.

We got them recently. Guests seem to like them, and I suppose there are fewer complaints. People seem more willing to wait in a line at SCO than a manned register, for whatever reason.

Getting SCO soon. Will this reduce the amount of guests bitching about opening more lanes? If I hear one more guest say that I may feel obliged to tell them if they don't want to wait, go check yourself out.

Nope. Many refuse to use them, and the SCO will reduce your regular cashiers. So, when its 10am, and you have 1 lane plus both SCO stations open, they will probably bitch more.

It's tough because they have to be manned at all times and there are many guest who absolutely refuse to use SCO.

I would rather have two cashiers than one cashier and one self checkout for that reason.

Now q4 self checkout is awesome. Gets those people buying 1 or 2 things out of the regular lanes.

With the new guest service rules our SCOs are supposed to be open at all times, open till close.

Yeah we have 4, if you are going to 16 your store must be extremely busy.

Just have 3 IGS registers, 10 CL, and 4 SCO. We were told we have to be at 50% of qualifying transactions to not lose cashier hours. But for a month in we are near 40% utilization. Idk how we could get to 50% when we still need a substantial number more red cards this year

My store is just now getting SCO's, hoping they're going to help out since we're usually down cashiers anyways.

We have a 6x10 motion sensor monitor installed on every SCO to deter theft. The guy installing them said it's one of the first stores he had to put them in, so maybe something coming to every store soon.

We're getting SCOs any day now. As a BRTM I'm totally psyched- all of the benefits, none of the hassle! I get to enjoy the option of avoiding the slow/talkative cashiers, but I won't have to deal with any of the drawbacks of them since I stay in the back :)

Sorry for the bump, but I didn't want to make a whole new topic on my thoughts on my store's SCO.

Oh my god either we got used self checkouts from a previous store or the components used to make these computers are ultimate trash. Or it's the software, or everything just isn't fully optimized, but our store's is SOO slow and makes everything harder anyways. It's at the point after I had 2 POS's down for an hour during a very busy time that got shut down for the same exact reason as eachother (frozen and not unfreezing while trying to pay with credit) and one of the computer's so bad that it has to reboot on itself twice during the initial reboot... and ultimately takes longer to start up than the other one which was up within an hour.

The fact it takes an hour to restart is insane. I know the program is huge and all, but the reboot itself takes FOREVER. 20 minutes max is what I would expect it to be.

The issue is so very common at my store and no one's done anything about it. I was kind of hoping someone else has told someone about this issue but maybe I'm gonna have to speak up about it for everyone lol. It just really sucks, I hope we can get this fixed one day... but I fear I won't be a cashier no more once it's fixed.

I go to walmart occasionally and their SCO works so much faster and more efficiently... I am infinitely jealous.

Last edited:
Sorry for the bump, but I didn't want to make a whole new topic on my thoughts on my store's SCO.

Oh my god either we got used self checkouts from a previous store or the components used to make these computers are ultimate trash. Or it's the software, or everything just isn't fully optimized, but our store's is SOO slow and makes everything harder anyways. It's at the point after I had 2 POS's down for an hour during a very busy time that got shut down for the same exact reason as eachother (frozen and not unfreezing while trying to pay with credit) and one of the computer's so bad that it has to reboot on itself twice during the initial reboot... and ultimately takes longer to start up than the other one which was up within an hour.

The fact it takes an hour to restart is insane. I know the program is huge and all, but the reboot itself takes FOREVER. 20 minutes max is what I would expect it to be.

The issue is so very common at my store and no one's done anything about it. I was kind of hoping someone else has told someone about this issue but maybe I'm gonna have to speak up about it for everyone lol. It just really sucks, I hope we can get this fixed one day... but I fear I won't be a cashier no more once it's fixed.

I go to walmart occasionally and their SCO works so much faster and more efficiently... I am infinitely jealous.

Target and tech don't go together. Unreliable ehr, the abomination that is mywork, and self checkouts prove that they should just outsource EVERYTHING.

Just a month ago or so, someone decided to change the mobile check schedule. Was it improved? No. But the style sure did change!

The mismanagement of anything technical is obvious and laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back