Archived Sell, Sell, Sell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following a horrendous walk our stl and etl for the floor is now giving altimatums (im sure i butchered that) to face tms. Moat are getting two weeks to get faster and start selling stuff or they will be forced into different work centers and will see hour loss as a result. They literally told one of our tms that is older and near retirement they will only give them 4hrs if they cant keep up with the changes.

Im curious at what point does one outweigh the other. Like if overspending payroll gets two weeks of trucks caught up vs staying under payroll lets two months of truck build. At what point does one take priority? Or does it only matter which person will get canned for not meeting expectations?

For the execs, the district management and higher doesnt see the back room or sales floor. They see sales and labor. So if sales are on line with the rest of your group and labor is, you are doing fine. Their goals are just entirely different.

How will they know if a TM is effective at selling? How will that be measured? Because I would think there would need to be tangible proof rather than a gut feeling.

Dunno the tm I was tqlking tonsaid something about our scores being down for individual sales idk what that means. Personally I think the stl is blowing smoke because our dtl wasnt happy when they walked this week and is making heads roll for it

Hey Leaders

I just looking to see what leaders think about the new selling culture Target is going to and the sales goals we are now giving to team members.

My team leader wants me spending a good part of my day doing causal observations of my team members in electronics, beauty, and apparel to see if they are really selling or not. Then she wants me to coach team members who are not doing a great job at this.

Not really sure if I am onboard with this. I am often given other tasks to complete, as well and am finding it hard to finish everything she wants me to finish.

Just really feel overwhelmed.

Last edited:
So in what way are you supposed to coach them?
Are you going to teach them them how to sell things to people?
Show them the methods for over coming objections, the rule of threes for getting an idea across, how to learn what a guest truly needs as opposed to what they think they need, and how to upsell.
Or are you just going to ding them?
Because the fact is that sales is an art not just something that you can throw someone out on the floor and tell them to do.
You don't expect someone who has just got their first job or who basically hates people to be good at it right off the bat.
That is bullshit.
You have to give them the tools.
Teach them about the product and why the clients will be needing it.
How to manage expectations and how to produce results.

If someone walks in, needs something and you can hand them the product, that is not sales.
Sales is when a mom walks in and says, "My daughter is having a hard time reading. What book should I get her?"
You have to know what questions to ask, how old is your daughter, what does she like, what has she read lately, why doesn't she like to read?
You also have to judge other things, what is the mom wearing, how does she come across.
Can you offer something a little older and romantic that might catch the girls attention (which is why a lot of them stop reading) or do you want to avoid that cause mom won't accept it?
Then you had better have some good ideas based on those questions.
If those ideas don't work you'd best have some plan B's.

That's just books.
Now apply that to every product from phones to towels.

I just don't think Target is conducive to that kind of sales though. Those are for specialty stores IMO like a Sephora or a Best Buy or an actual bookstore. Stores like Target and Walmart and even Kohls or Dicks or Costco and Sams are not those kind of environments.

In Beauty I'm having the girls pick favorite items they can add to the basket. Trying to emphasize suggestive selling and then observing them trying to upsell their item.

It feels like a lot of mentoring and role playing honestly. But I'm used to that from previous roles, its just a little tough with no payroll and specially with the task load Target requires requires to keep our departments stocked. It's impossible not to get too "tasky"! I'm with you on feeling overwhelmed, but I do believe in the Pilot.

Makes me glad that I am a cashier, and am ok with fifty cents less per hour to not have to participate in badgering our guests.

I was asking the ETL who usually makes the schedule if I could get a few more hours. The answer I got was "You need to sell more." Now, mind you I'm the store's main CA and I work in hardlines. They were busy at the moment so I didn't get the chance to ask them WTF they were talking about.

Does anyone know how I can sell more working as a CA or in hardlines???

And how in the hell do "they" know when I "sell" something?

This shit is screwy as hell.

How do I sell???

Weird. Regular hardlines TMs don’t have their sales tracked. The only thing I’m thinking is if they’re doing sales observations where they watch you deal with guests and look for you to add to their basket but it’s not something that’s generally done with hardlines since we hate doing it why would we observe even more TMs

I hate that I can never get a straight answer from any of them. It's like any words that come out of their mouths has been filtered through a corporate app orrrrr something.

I've never worked for a company like this before.

I hate that I can never get a straight answer from any of them. It's like any words that come out of their mouths has been filtered through a corporate app orrrrr something.

I've never worked for a company like this before.

Every large corporation has their version of Target-speak, or not-speak.

That is why this site is so valuable. I've told my ETLs things that I've learned here that they didn't even know.

I just try to greet everyone. I am able to add to the basket by simply getting the guest items from the Backroom that are out of stock on the sales floor.

No one scans research (audits) in our store so it is not uncommon to have items in the store, but empty on the shelf.

Like in Seasonal, it is not uncommon to sell an item from the back room, or to sell additional items (like a guest needs additional patio furniture cushions & the shelf might hold only 2 cushions.)

Last edited:
Small appliances, domestics and baby - look for guests shopping using a registry. I have added on items that way, too.

Know your product. I added a $100 Infinity Wars Lego set that a guest couldn’t find (not yet set on the floor by POG team, but street dated for that Sunday.). I knew what the guest was looking for, so I was able to look it up and pull it from the backroom.

Know your product. I added a $100 Infinity Wars Lego set that a guest couldn’t find (not yet set on the floor by POG team, but street dated for that Sunday.). I knew what the guest was looking for, so I was able to look it up and pull it from the backroom.
How big was your raise this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back